BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Sat, Oct-07-2017, 12:14:12 AM   #1
gunner_27

United States

Default BBTB install help

Good day all,
so installing the riot racing bbtb, as i was stupid enough to not have taken a photo of the cables prior to removal, i am unsure which cable goes onto which clip on the throttle body...

does this make a difference ? One cable is red while the other is black, any help is appreciated, thank you.
Jump to top gunner_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Oct-07-2017, 04:44:07 AM   #2
gunner_27

United States

Default Re: BBTB install help

install is complete however now the throttle is like a switch, on off, not smooth at all, and ASC comes on after 5 mins of driving .... any idea whats going on ?
Old Sat, Oct-07-2017, 12:57:10 PM   #3
M-technik-3

In the garage:

Sounds like your TPS needs to be adjusted. As far as the ASC, I always have that in the OFF position.
Jump to top M-technik-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Oct-07-2017, 01:12:37 PM   #4
craigjimc

United States

TPS is not adjustable. Most likely throttle plate is not correctly positioned. Put enough slack in the cruise cable to prevent it from interfering with main throttle cable adjustments. Adjust main cable so that the throttle plate is fully closed with no depression of the accelerator pedal. Next adjust the cable so that the throttle plate starts to open as the pedal is depressed. Now adjust the throttle plate such that it is centered in the throttle bore at full throttle. Repeat as req'd until both adjustments are correct. Last adjust the cruise cable so that it is slightly slack at idle.
Jump to top craigjimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Oct-07-2017, 04:30:14 PM   #5
carpetbagger

In the garage:

United States

I had this with my Dinan TB. Wound up replacing the TPS and ASC sensors, adjusted the cable, and sent the DME back to Dinan to clear everything and start over because the car wasn't running right.
Jump to top carpetbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Oct-07-2017, 05:43:07 PM   #6
Braymond141

United States

Riot is terrible. I just pulled mine off to go back to stock. I’m curious to know if yours will idle hang when hot.

Cable position is important and you need to make sure cable tension is correct. Throttle cable goes on the larger top cam. Cruise goes on the bottom small cam. Tension is done as follows; you want faint slack in the cam/cable as noted everytime I push the cam into the throttle engagement point. Too loose and the throttle will feel poor. Too tight will activate the throttle, throwing off your TPS.

1996 M3 Journal | MSportParts
Jump to top Braymond141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Oct-07-2017, 05:48:25 PM   #7
Braymond141

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetbagger View Post
I had this with my Dinan TB. Wound up replacing the TPS and ASC sensors, adjusted the cable, and sent the DME back to Dinan to clear everything and start over because the car wasn't running right.
Dinan makes the best BBTB. I suspect your cable tensions were the cause.

1996 M3 Journal | MSportParts
Jump to top Braymond141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Oct-07-2017, 05:50:02 PM   #8
gunner_27

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigjimc View Post
TPS is not adjustable. Most likely throttle plate is not correctly positioned. Put enough slack in the cruise cable to prevent it from interfering with main throttle cable adjustments. Adjust main cable so that the throttle plate is fully closed with no depression of the accelerator pedal. Next adjust the cable so that the throttle plate starts to open as the pedal is depressed. Now adjust the throttle plate such that it is centered in the throttle bore at full throttle. Repeat as req'd until both adjustments are correct. Last adjust the cruise cable so that it is slightly slack at idle.
hey thanks for the tip, so I took it apart and here is what I see when actuating by hand, since the stock TB was cycled , there is no resistance from the throttle plate against the walls of the bore.

With the new TB, it takes a little push / more force than stock to open the plate, I believe this is due to the resistance from the plate against the walls... does this make sense ?

can I assume this will get looser as it is cycled ?
Old Sat, Oct-07-2017, 05:54:48 PM   #9
gunner_27

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
Riot is terrible. I just pulled mine off to go back to stock. Iím curious to know if yours will idle hang when hot.

Cable position is important and you need to make sure cable tension is correct. Throttle cable goes on the larger top cam. Cruise goes on the bottom small cam. Tension is done as follows; you want faint slack in the cam/cable as noted everytime I push the cam into the throttle engagement point. Too loose and the throttle will feel poor. Too tight will activate the throttle, throwing off your TPS.

https://youtu.be/lxf4TZT7CKU
hey, yea I am not sure how well this throttle body was prepared, I just I feel the throttle plate is rubbing against the bore.

Funny you say that, multiple reviews online suggest riot to be the best of the 3 out there, thanks for the link, I am going to have someone press the throttle to see where wide open is and set it that way.

Taking these out and putting them on is such a pain !
Old Sat, Oct-07-2017, 07:50:51 PM   #10
gunner_27

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
Why would you have someone press the throttle WOT?! That’s exactly the opposite of the video. That’s NOT how you do this. Do not make any adjustments at WOT.

If you have over tightened your cable to the point where there is throttle actuation your idle control valve has adapted to compensate. Once the issue is fixed, dme readaption is not exactly immediate.

Plate sticking to the bore was another issue. I was able to reposition mine. It was so bad I had to stab the throttle just to get going.
no no i didnt mean adjust at WOT, just make sure that it is all the way open at WOT, check for slack seemed about the same as in the video. So yea , my cable is good, but i cant deal with the plate sticking, how did you adjust it the plate ?

I do like the way it drives once it gets going, it feels like its breathing much better.

Wasnt there alot of complaints for the DInan BBTB ?

Last edited by gunner_27; Sat, Oct-07-2017 at 08:05:41 PM.