BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sun, Oct-01-2017, 03:58:35 AM   #41
Braymond141

United States

Default Re: What's your view on superchargers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSMG View Post
Well exactly. Having 8k to spend on a SC and actually spending 8k on a SC are two vastly different things.

I don't care who you are - that's a lot of dough to blow on a 'mod'. I've been tempted, though, and will be again, surely.
Which is exactly why I intend to build a kit on my own. I figure around $2-3k without tuning is easily doable (without the air to air intercooler I have planned).

1996 M3 Journal | MSportParts
Jump to top Braymond141 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Oct-01-2017, 06:01:20 AM   #42
EricSMG
40 something

United States

The $5900 AA Prima (non-intercooled) kit looks nice @ ~400whp. The Prima Plus (meth) is another grand but gets you roughly 500whp.... that's impressive for $6800.

I wonder how the basic Prima kit would perform on 91 octane on an otherwise stock car - catted headers, everything, bone stock. And how would it feel on a hot day, in particular. Would the cold/hot difference be greater than when NA? A large inconsistency would bug me.

The AA Level 1 (intercooled) is $8200 and cranks out ~425whp. That's a lot more than the basic Prima for roughly the same power.... but I'm betting the Level 1 is far more consistent due to intercooling. No?

'04 SG/Black 6MT || '04 JB/IR SMG

Last edited by EricSMG; Sun, Oct-01-2017 at 06:06:59 AM.
Jump to top EricSMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Oct-01-2017, 06:59:10 AM   #43
MPowerZ32

United States

The prima plus kit is definitely very tempting.

A lot people are commenting negatively on supercharged S54 without ever driving one. I feel i'm obligated to chime in. I have ESS supercharged Z4M coupe. The same S54 engine without the sub-frame weakness. It was primarily my track car with coilovers and race mounts everywhere. The car is an absolute blast to drive. It feels like NA engine with more displacement. All the positive characteristics of the S54 but only feels bigger, if that makes sense. Even the exhaust rasp is all gone once supercharged. Go figure. I never had heat issues on the track. I think the long Z4 hood helps in this regard. From what i read the E46 m3 seem to have heat issues on the track when supercharged. But for street use, i say why not if you want a bit more out of the engine.
Jump to top MPowerZ32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Oct-01-2017, 11:46:43 AM   #44
HassanEido

In the garage:

Lebanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowerZ32 View Post
The prima plus kit is definitely very tempting.

A lot people are commenting negatively on supercharged S54 without ever driving one. I feel i'm obligated to chime in. I have ESS supercharged Z4M coupe. The same S54 engine without the sub-frame weakness. It was primarily my track car with coilovers and race mounts everywhere. The car is an absolute blast to drive. It feels like NA engine with more displacement. All the positive characteristics of the S54 but only feels bigger, if that makes sense. Even the exhaust rasp is all gone once supercharged. Go figure. I never had heat issues on the track. I think the long Z4 hood helps in this regard. From what i read the E46 m3 seem to have heat issues on the track when supercharged. But for street use, i say why not if you want a bit more out of the engine.
I agree, it feels the same with more power. Like u have a 5 liter s54 if that makes sense
Modified stock airbox,afe plastic intake elbow Afe prodry drop in, electric fan conversion,SSV2 catless headers, custom 2.5" dual sec1, custom sec2 2.5" dual with e9xM X pipe, SuperSprint Race inspired custom section 3,tms pulleys,Cat Cams 280 272, custom dyno tune, csl box pending
357.7 whp 283.5 wtq
Jump to top HassanEido is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Oct-01-2017, 04:42:15 PM   #45
Malloy

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo M View Post
How many that said "it ruins the car" actually driven a properly tuned supercharged m3? I've driven one and it feels stock, I was actually disappointed at first bcs it felt too similar to my car. It's only when you push the car that you'd feel that power, but it'll be in a similar manner as na. O
100% agree. Stock power delivery with an additional 200hp. I drove a well tuned VF570 e46 M3 and it was crazy fun.

Sure, the intake sound changes but if you are looking for power and stock like feel, SC get it done nicely. Turbo kits totally change the character so I can see why people may not like them.

I feel it's always harder to sell a car with mods, especially with a FI kit. Revert to stock before sale.

Last edited by Malloy; Sun, Oct-01-2017 at 04:47:35 PM.
Jump to top Malloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Oct-01-2017, 06:38:17 PM   #46
2006E46M3fan

In the garage:

United States

Interesting thread read. I would love a SC but as others have mentioned I can't justify in my head spending $8k+ for a more top of the line kit. Time will tell what my true plans are for my car. It's always been a street car and although would like to track it I have severely limited free time to do so. Making a decision to SC equals me better being sure I want to keep it for a long time or I'll be so deep into this car (more than I already am) that selling it would make me nauseous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowerZ32 View Post
Even the exhaust rasp is all gone once supercharged. Go figure.
This alone makes me want a SC even more.
Old Tue, Oct-03-2017, 03:45:31 AM   #47
specializedbndt

In the garage:

United States

like others have said, supercharging has never been a deterrent if the maintenance seemed congruent. however, supercharging has never been additive as far as price. I wouldn't mind buying a sorted-supercharged car at all, but i definitely would not pay a premium. These cars are amazing as is. They truly are.
Jump to top specializedbndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Oct-04-2017, 04:41:20 AM   #48
Headlock

Australia

I really want to supercharge my car, another 100-150 hp would be perfect. However i like to take mine to the track and all the negative feedback about heat issues has me in two minds. I know a couple of people seem to have done it ok, but most people seem to have either heat soak or water temp issues, not ideal. The usual NA mods are still quite expensive and the ROI in terms of horsepower gain doesn't seem great.
Jump to top Headlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Oct-04-2017, 11:32:28 PM   #49
newton22

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headlock View Post
I really want to supercharge my car, another 100-150 hp would be perfect. However i like to take mine to the track and all the negative feedback about heat issues has me in two minds. I know a couple of people seem to have done it ok, but most people seem to have either heat soak or water temp issues, not ideal. The usual NA mods are still quite expensive and the ROI in terms of horsepower gain doesn't seem great.
The fastest track rat E46 M3s are all supercharged, especially the ones at the Nurburgring.

Ground Control / APEX / AKG / Fabspeed / Rogue Engineering / Momo / Kirk
Jump to top newton22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-05-2017, 12:01:25 AM   #50
Headlock

Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by newton22 View Post
The fastest track rat E46 M3s are all supercharged, especially the ones at the Nurburgring.
different climate there though, and stripped out race cars are a bit of a different beast than a weekend warrior that still needs to retain AC etc.. i'm still not fully turned off the idea, i like the idea of the AA prima plus. Has meth for IAT control and no FMIC to get in the way of the radiator.
Jump to top Headlock is offline   Reply With Quote