BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sat, Sep-30-2017, 04:16:02 AM   #31
RedM3/4

United States

Default Re: What's your view on superchargers?

I can't say what it does for ultimate sale price, other than like any other mod you'll probably get about 25% on the dollar for what it costs. So yeah, it MAY sell a little higher than a car w/o, but the real factor is this: You've limited the market for who will buy the car by a ton, even more than most mods. Because it is just as complex (compared to putting suspension back to OE, as an example) to remove as it is to install ... to get it right, no vacuum leaks, etc.
Fact is, unless somebody is jonesing for an SC car, most would expect the car has been driven hard, and for the most part this will be correct. SC cars are monsters, few of us can drive one and not light the tires at will, etc.
So you'll have a WAY harder time selling it unless it is flawless AND you find someone looking in your timeframe.
That said, if you want it, depending on your overall goals, there is nothing like a SC car. Kind of like there's nothing like an S54, but totally different feel. Personally, I'd do a big v8 and make it ridiculous versus doing it to an S54. for example, I had a '99 Lightning truck. Very nice seats/comfort, super fun burnout monster, 14.6 second 1/4 mile, AWESOME exhaust and spool sound, and horrible influence on my sons! Without asking him to, my 13 year old would say "Dad, cop" if he saw me grin with burnout in my eyes at a stoplight, LOL! The number of cars I smoked or stayed with was fun too!
I actually bought it to tow a boat back in the day. Great fun overall. But even with OE bilsteins, lowered suspension, it was scary bad in tight corners at speed, poorly executed that way. But fun, pure fun

ADS
Jump to top RedM3/4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Sep-30-2017, 07:44:55 AM   #32
Braymond141

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentyseven View Post
I've driven a couple turbo E46 M3's, and they are very fast, but they don't feel special. Have actually never driven a S/C E46 M3 but between the two, I would go that route because it compliments the nature of the S54 (throttle response, top end zing, and aural aspects).

The issue is it's such a special N/A motor, and only a GT3 is the only thing comparable. If it's outright power you are after, there are other cars that are far better in turbo form - E36 M3, Supra, and F80 M3. The only time i've ever wanted more power from the S54 is when i'm trying to keep up with something else simply because the way it delivers its power is so satisfying that the actual acceleration times just aren't that important.

Granted, much of this opinion has to do with age. Younger guys are out to prove more so then it's a cost/benefit analysis. If you add an airbox and headers you can have an S/C for similar money. So it comes down to what you're after... S/C is pretty easy to remove and put back to stock though if you plan on selling.
Spot on. If you're not after the intake sound, S/C is definitely a great option for modest power goals on the S54. It's the same power delivery, just more of it. A straight cut gear Vortech V1 charger is a suitable replacement for a carbon airbox.

Supercharging the S54 destined for the 96 is a serious consideration (in fact I already have ARP studs on the shelf). I will copy Dinan's S3R if/when it happens.

1996 M3 Journal | MSportParts
Jump to top Braymond141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Sep-30-2017, 04:29:30 PM   #33
EricSMG
40 something

United States

I would definitely consider a SC for this car. I imagine the high rpm rush is intoxicating as the torque curve never falls.

'04 SG/Black 6MT || '04 JB/IR SMG
Jump to top EricSMG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Sep-30-2017, 04:40:38 PM   #34
Paulo M

United States

How many that said "it ruins the car" actually driven a properly tuned supercharged m3? I've driven one and it feels stock, I was actually disappointed at first bcs it felt too similar to my car. It's only when you push the car that you'd feel that power, but it'll be in a similar manner as na. Only drawback I can see is if you track it, bcs of heat. But I don't track so don't care.

3,400lb car + 500hp is actually not too much in today's standards. Especially since the torque remains low and linear power band. I'll sc my car soon most likely. Never turbo tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sat, Sep-30-2017, 06:27:40 PM   #35
nuc1
Meh

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo M View Post
How many that said "it ruins the car" actually driven a properly tuned supercharged m3? I've driven one and it feels stock, I was actually disappointed at first bcs it felt too similar to my car. It's only when you push the car that you'd feel that power, but it'll be in a similar manner as na. Only drawback I can see is if you track it, bcs of heat. But I don't track so don't care.

3,400lb car + 500hp is actually not too much in today's standards. Especially since the torque remains low and linear power band. I'll sc my car soon most likely. Never turbo tho.

BTDT. Great on the street. Absolute shit on the track.

Mike
- BW CSL Intake - Dinan ITBs - Ported & Polished Head - Schrick 288/280 - ARP Head/Main/Rod Bolts - Epic Rod Bearings - CP Pistons - Beisan VANOS - Okada Coils - SS V1 Stepped Headers & Catless Sec 1 - OEM Sec 2 - AA Gen 6 Sec 3 - OEM CSL MAP & Pressure Rail - CSL Software - 4.10 Polished Diff - TTFS Tune
Stop
- Brembo 355F/345R - Stoptech Pads (Street) - GC Street/Track SA 525/550
Show
- OEM Euro Front Bumper - OEM CSL Trunk - Polished OEM 19s - OEM Euro Folding Mirrors - OEM LEDs w/ BFD - Sunroof Delete - Dynavin - JL 12W6 - JL 300/2 & 500/1 - Focal K2P
15 MR/Black 320i Family Truckster
11 Tundra Super White/Black Actual Truckster
Jump to top nuc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Sep-30-2017, 11:04:24 PM   #36
Cha5en

United States

If I could swing the cost I would love to supercharge the S54. Boost is addicting, do it.

Quote:
Apart from anything else, it would give a tremendous 'feelgood' boost to the end of the season, be the greatest comeback story since Lazarus, and give us a chance to enjoy Robert's laconic humour again. Remember that monster shunt of his in Canada? The next day, as he walked out of hospital, a journalist asked him if he'd seen the crash on TV. Robert Kubica stopped, looked the journo right in the eye and said: "I've seen it twice: the first time I was there!"
Jump to top Cha5en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Oct-01-2017, 02:27:12 AM   #37
EricSMG
40 something

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cha5en View Post
If I could swing the cost I would love to supercharge the S54. Boost is addicting, do it.
Well exactly. Having 8k to spend on a SC and actually spending 8k on a SC are two vastly different things.

I don't care who you are - that's a lot of dough to blow on a 'mod'. I've been tempted, though, and will be again, surely.

'04 SG/Black 6MT || '04 JB/IR SMG
Jump to top EricSMG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Oct-01-2017, 02:33:27 AM   #38
mrgizmo04

In the garage:

United States

All great points have been covered here. I would not sc my car or get one that has been sc. S54 is/was special NA for the purists. If you take it off to go back to stock, I, as a potential buyer of the car, would want know that the car was sc. Once I knew that info I would stay away (more internals wear and earlier than anticipated engine rebuild coming up potentially?). The car is obviously "enjoyed" with the sc. Taking it off is to me trying to recoup the value and maybe even hide certain details, and also makes me question the reason why the car was sc in the first place. With enough issues these 12-15 year old cars have with rod bearing wear, general age at this point, additional stress and wear don't help. And yes I know they can handle 900+hp etc, that is just my personal view, since that is what you asked for .

All DIY: 330 ZHP steering rack, diffsonline 4.1 diff with rem polish, E60 short shifter lever, AKG black diff bushings/subframe bushings, Rogue rtab, Rogue RSM with reinforcement, WPC rod bearings, Beyer driveshaft, Magnaflow catback, new SAC/flywheel, rear main, VANOS bullet proofing with anti-rattle, valve adjustment, cooling refresh.
Jump to top mrgizmo04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Oct-01-2017, 02:40:22 AM   #39
Halftim3

In the garage:

Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSMG View Post
Well exactly. Having 8k to spend on a SC and actually spending 8k on a SC are two vastly different things.

I don't care who you are - that's a lot of dough to blow on a 'mod'. I've been tempted, though, and will be again, surely.
I agree Eric, Even the entry-level kits are tempting.

-Mike
Old Sun, Oct-01-2017, 03:19:10 AM   #40
Cha5en

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSMG View Post

Agreed. It's almost like getting a new car, though. 400whp really wakes the e46 up!

Quote:
Apart from anything else, it would give a tremendous 'feelgood' boost to the end of the season, be the greatest comeback story since Lazarus, and give us a chance to enjoy Robert's laconic humour again. Remember that monster shunt of his in Canada? The next day, as he walked out of hospital, a journalist asked him if he'd seen the crash on TV. Robert Kubica stopped, looked the journo right in the eye and said: "I've seen it twice: the first time I was there!"
Jump to top Cha5en is offline   Reply With Quote