BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Fri, Sep-29-2017, 07:42:48 PM   #21
asma123

Canada

Default Re: What's your view on superchargers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneM3 View Post
VF Engineering can't remember exactly if 420 or 480 or 5 something.
I have the vf420 and yes I agree with you it doesnt sound the same but it is still fun nonetheless
Jump to top asma123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Sep-29-2017, 07:53:17 PM   #22
WyattH

In the garage:

United States

Airbox sound is definitely one area where NA wins.
Ease of maintenance is another. My car does not require outright any more maintenance than an NA car, but for some work the SC is in the way.

Dinan | CSL | RAC | TCK | Brembo | \\\WyattH's Journal
Jump to top WyattH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Sep-29-2017, 08:27:04 PM   #23
Dr M3an M3
GroupBuyingPower@outlook. com

In the garage:

United States

I have a local friend with an AA supercharger installed. Now granted his car is literally a competing "show car" and also has probably 500+ pounds of stereo equipment in the trunk (without subframe reinforcement), I would like to feel what his car feels like, being that it's boosted. IIRC, he has somewhere like 550-600hp (unless I am mistaken), so I'd like to experience what that is like. But I can't help but imagine his car is going to feel drastically different to mine regardless given his entire car and list of mods are very different to my own.

Granted I don't think he pushes his car and he only drives it on sunny days to different car shows, he has told me that he has never had any cooling issues (We live in SC with very hot summers). After feeling what headers and CSL airbox do to the car in the way of driving experience and performance, I can't imagine wanting much more than that. Just the right amount of power to maintain drivability and the ability to push the car towards the limit on the street, without any of the potential headaches that could come from FI. I think for me, the money I'd put into supercharging would be more enjoyably spent on suspension and brakes...but who knows, maybe I will change my mind after feeling the difference. I am always open to changing my mind. For now, an NA build is the direction I want to move towards. I think it really comes down to different goals and applications for different people. As much as I love the Porsche Turbo S and found it insanely fast, I'd still prefer the NA GT3, for the exact same reason's that I like the driving nature of the S54 over modern boosted BMWs. I think if it was properly setup and tuned, the power band could be made to feel just like the stock linear power band, only faster. However, I can't imagine the other aspects that contribute the dynamic and sensory driving experience would remain unaffected between NA and SC..Those nuances, I suspect are what makes it feel different to the "characteristics of the S54"...But then again, pure speculation. I still would like to experience the difference for myself.

As for buying a car that was supercharged, It would be an immediate pass if I didn't know the guy personally or have a lot of documentation following the build to rely upon. Too many potential variables to consider for me. I'd also hope that I was aware of the fact that the car was once SCed if I was looking to buy it and it was already removed from the car. I think it definitely narrows the market for most people.

This is the only local car I know of that is supercharged. The owner is a really great guy and he takes very good care of his car, even if his taste and goals for the car are different to my own. His decade old paint still looks like it was sprayed and yet sanded yesterdayl If I get the chance to ride in it, I imagine it will feel different regardless, as this picture illustrates. Weight distribution is different, weight is different, he has a much more aggressive ride height, bigger and much wider wheels, different suspension, caged, 500+ hp and nearly everything else about his car is different from my own. I can't imagine it will feel similar with or without the supercharger.

Active Autowerk's Supercharger up front:

Mods: Maintenance, WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS 'lockdown', Supersprint V1 Stepped headers w/ Oversized Section 1, SS Resonated X-Pipe section 2, RE El Diablo Muffler, BBS LMs w/ PSS, Streamline CSL Bumper, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, Angel-eyes, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune, CSL Dynamic Redline Warmup Light parameters.
Active Group-Buys (PM if Interested): OE CSL Bootlids, CSL Bumper, OE CSL Wheels, Supersprint Headers/Exhaust MEGA thread, CSL Airbox, Brembo, Cams/Pistons...and more to come!
Please PM me - In search of:
-- Wanting to Trade basically brand new Eagle Eye Smoked Reverse Trunk Lights for a pair that are Non-smoked

Last edited by Dr M3an M3; Fri, Sep-29-2017 at 08:33:20 PM.
Jump to top Dr M3an M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Sep-29-2017, 08:42:52 PM   #24
SHRMN8TR

United States

Hey @asma123, remember there's basically two types of people who are looking to buy these cars in today's world. Those who want the cheapest thing possible so they can get into an M3 (or BMW) and those who want to drive the car because they feel it suits their driving ambitions.

Supercharged and Turbo are different thing and as many have said, are two drastically different driving feels. I have not driven a SC S54, but I did own an Audi S5 (SC 3.0LV6) and I took it to the track. It's a different way of driving to extract the potentials out of a SC car.

So for you, I can see why there's a lot of tire kickers and low ballers for your M3. You'll need to hunt around for that specific group of folks who appreciate a super charged M3 and the benefits and draw backs that come with it.

TLDR: You'll have to wait a pretty long time before the right buyer comes, but they will come. Just, not today! Maybe tomorrow.
Jump to top SHRMN8TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Sep-29-2017, 08:54:11 PM   #25
twentyseven
@itsmejonnyv

United States

I've driven a couple turbo E46 M3's, and they are very fast, but they don't feel special. Have actually never driven a S/C E46 M3 but between the two, I would go that route because it compliments the nature of the S54 (throttle response, top end zing, and aural aspects).

The issue is it's such a special N/A motor, and only a GT3 is the only thing comparable. If it's outright power you are after, there are other cars that are far better in turbo form - E36 M3, Supra, and F80 M3. The only time i've ever wanted more power from the S54 is when i'm trying to keep up with something else simply because the way it delivers its power is so satisfying that the actual acceleration times just aren't that important.

Granted, much of this opinion has to do with age. Younger guys are out to prove more so then it's a cost/benefit analysis. If you add an airbox and headers you can have an S/C for similar money. So it comes down to what you're after... S/C is pretty easy to remove and put back to stock though if you plan on selling.
Old Fri, Sep-29-2017, 08:56:15 PM   #26
mrfuzzybagels
(❍ᴥ❍ʋ)

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr M3an M3 View Post
I have a local friend with an AA supercharger installed. Now granted his car is literally a competing "show car" and also has probably 500+ pounds of stereo equipment in the trunk (without subframe reinforcement), I would like to feel what his car feels like, being that it's boosted. IIRC, he has somewhere like 550-600hp (unless I am mistaken), so I'd like to experience what that is like. But I can't help but imagine his car is going to feel drastically different to mine regardless given his entire car and list of mods are very different to my own.

Granted I don't think he pushes his car and he only drives it on sunny days to different car shows, he has told me that he has never had any cooling issues (We live in SC with very hot summers). After feeling what headers and CSL airbox do to the car in the way of driving experience and performance, I can't imagine wanting much more than that. Just the right amount of power to maintain drivability and the ability to push the car towards the limit on the street, without any of the potential headaches that could come from FI. I think for me, the money I'd put into supercharging would be more enjoyably spent on suspension and brakes...but who knows, maybe I will change my mind after feeling the difference. I am always open to changing my mind. For now, an NA build is the direction I want to move towards. I think it really comes down to different goals and applications for different people. As much as I love the Porsche Turbo S and found it insanely fast, I'd still prefer the NA GT3, for the exact same reason's that I like the driving nature of the S54 over modern boosted BMWs. I think if it was properly setup and tuned, the power band could be made to feel just like the stock linear power band, only faster. However, I can't imagine the other aspects that contribute the dynamic and sensory driving experience would remain unaffected between NA and SC..Those nuances, I suspect are what makes it feel different to the "characteristics of the S54"...But then again, pure speculation. I still would like to experience the difference for myself.

As for buying a car that was supercharged, It would be an immediate pass if I didn't know the guy personally or have a lot of documentation following the build to rely upon. Too many potential variables to consider for me. I'd also hope that I was aware of the fact that the car was once SCed if I was looking to buy it and it was already removed from the car. I think it definitely narrows the market for most people.

This is the only local car I know of that is supercharged. The owner is a really great guy and he takes very good care of his car, even if his taste and goals for the car are different to my own. His decade old paint still looks like it was sprayed and yet sanded yesterdayl If I get the chance to ride in it, I imagine it will feel different regardless, as this picture illustrates. Weight distribution is different, weight is different, he has a much more aggressive ride height, bigger and much wider wheels, different suspension, caged, 500+ hp and nearly everything else about his car is different from my own. I can't imagine it will feel similar with or without the supercharger.

Active Autowerk's Supercharger up front:

This is exactly the kind of car that makes me think I'll always pass on buying an m3 that's been supercharged. Those mods are awful. It looks like a riced out civic. Even if everything is removed before sale, fearing that all this was once done to it will make me nope the **** outta there. And this is coming from someone who likes hondas and tuner cars, just don't ruin a BMW with that noise.
Old Fri, Sep-29-2017, 09:07:57 PM   #27
TboneM3
YNWA

In the garage:

United States

Ya that car makes me want to throw up lol

-Evolve-R alpha N · Evolve CSL CF Airbox · eVenturi Scoop · Euro Headers|sect 1 · Besian · D/A pullies/fan delete · WPC rod bearings
-TMS Camber & Subf plates · RE Street Trans Mounts · AKG poly SUB/DIFF · SDW RTAB · ZHP knob + UUC DSSR · GroundControl S/A (Koni/Eibach 440/550) + tall RSMs
-BMW Motorsport 4.10 · OE CSL trunk · APEX 75mm Studs · Sportline 8S 18x8.5/9.5" · PSS 245/275 · ss brake/clutch lines
-Pioneer DEH-80PRS · Eclipse PA5422 · CDT HD-6 + WS-100i · CDT EX-530 · 8" Kicker

DD/Beater: 1999 Civic LX - Kenwood x998 · PPI 1600.4 · CDT HD-6 + HD-100 · CDT EX-530 · Clarion 10"
Jump to top TboneM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Sep-30-2017, 01:09:27 AM   #28
WyattH

In the garage:

United States

That blue car is very painful to look at.

Lots of riced out NA M3 show cars too .. can't say they make me dislike all NA builds, though.

Dinan | CSL | RAC | TCK | Brembo | \\\WyattH's Journal
Jump to top WyattH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Sep-30-2017, 01:10:31 AM   #29
e46IX

Canada

OP what did you end up doing with your floorpan?
Jump to top e46IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Sep-30-2017, 02:06:41 AM   #30
Paulo M

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattH View Post
That blue car is very painful to look at.

Lots of riced out NA M3 show cars too .. can't say they make me dislike all NA builds, though.
E92 m3 replica wheels on their e46, beat up paint and interior, eBay csl bumper or one piece lip, top speed muffler, cheapest coilovers available, plasti dipped emblems, painted stock calipers, cheap bubbly window tints, diy wavy pulled fenders, matte black grills, stickers....yep plenty of ugly na m3's out there

On a serious note I love supercharged m3's but I'd never buy one already supercharged.

Last edited by Paulo M; Sat, Sep-30-2017 at 02:10:21 AM.
Jump to top Paulo M is online now   Reply With Quote