BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Sep-28-2017, 06:22:41 PM   #1
Dr M3an M3
Why does everyone think my name is Dan? lol

In the garage:

United States

Default Streamline & Dr M3an M3's CSL Airbox Development Journal Collaboration

I know a lot of you are interested in the Streamline CSL CF Airbox currently in development, so I figured it was about time I start a thread detailing the development, progress, and details; much in the same way as the CSL Bumper thread documented the bumper development. Community input is welcomed and encouraged. Collectively, we as a hive-mind can accomplish more together than we can individually.

Upon taking on this endeavor, Streamline has acquired the necessary facilities to manufacture in-house, their own Pre-Preg structural carbon fiber (45 degree 2x2 thick carbon), most particularly for this application in order to control the quality of their starting material. Not all Carbon Fiber material is equal and being able to control the quality of the carbon starting material is a huge deal and something I am very excited about. This airbox will be 100% designed, tested, reworked, and manufactured under their roof, with zero out-sourcing to ensure the highest quality end product.

From an exterior point of view, the actual CF air plenum (airbox) will be to exact OE specifications/dimensions, utilizing 3D digital scanning software to ensure that the digital model (and thus end product) will be exactly like the original in fit and finish. This also means an assortment of "snorkel" options will fit with this airbox depending on your preferences. Streamline will be making their own version of the "Snorkel/flap", but an OE Snorkel/flap, Karbonius Snorkel, Evolve Snorkel, and Geoff Steel Snorkel will also be cross-compatible.

The snorkel design that Streamline is focusing on will be a more 'hard-core' snorkel option that will feed directly from the front grils and a carbon adaptation for the bottom hole of the airbox to the front bumper hole. This option will be available for those that want to extract the most power from an all motor NA build. This snorkel option will likely be released at a slightly later time since it will take extra time to fully test/rework.

Within the next 3 weeks, I should have pictures of prototypes to share with you all. As of now, it is looking like there will be 3-4 different prototype variations that they will be testing. One large area of focus with this project is the internal trumpets/intake runners. Unlike the OE CSL Airbox which uses 'heavy' plastic intake runners, Streamline will be using Pre-Preg structural CF to construct their intake runners. This means the intake runners will be stronger, lighter, and louder when it comes to induction sound amplification (similarly to the intake runners found inside a Karbonius or Evolve Airbox). Unlike cheaper airboxes (Geoff Steele), this airbox WILL include all the CF internal brace bars to ensure that the airbox won't flex and is stiff under load. How this differs from other options on the market is that Streamline will be computer flow testing, dyno testing, and road testing different intake runner designs and dimensions. To my knowledge, they are the only guys that will be experimenting with intake runner designs. The control for this testing will be OE spec'd intake runners that these designs will be compared against.

What you may or may not know is, the intake runners within the airbox are one of the most important elements in the design of the airbox, which directly impacts both the torque and power that the airbox/engine are capable of generating, and something that race teams will often take advantage of in order to fully optimize the intake for it's specific application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gorilla (CSL Register)
The Intake Runner length and its form is also critical to the engine.

Leave those shiny Chinese Carbon Airboxes well alone !!

On the E30 M3 DTM cars [S14 ENGINE] they had several Intake
runner lengths to their Carbon Airboxes pending
if they required more Power or Torque from the
Engine.

15cms intake runner was used on the more shorter
Sprint races for Torque and then they would fit the
longer 17cms + for the more endurance type
Races where they needed to improve power Gains.

This was on either 48mm TB's or 49.5mm Slides.

I have a set of E30 M3 BTCC Zytek slides here which
were fitted to an S14 in an E36 Compact.

The Intake runner lengths were increased by about 30/40mm
something you can do with the S14 in the E36 Shell,
and the engine Power increased by around 18/20 BHP..

So proper Carbon Airbox tuning is a real science not
just noisey bling.
Streamline is using computer modeling/simulation software to generate intake runner designs for a variety of specific applications, which will optimize different intake runner lengths. These designs will be both computer flow-tested and real-world application flow-tested on both the road and dyno. Right now, they are looking to compare 3-4 designs to the stock CSL intake runners. I will be posting pictures of each prototype design as I receive them and will include their accompanying graphs/data charts as they become available. From how it is looking, customers may have the option to select which intake runner design they prefer for their individual race track application.

Unfortunately, I cannot share the computer 3D models at this time (I hope you all understand). For now, I am only allowed to share some of the design sketches with you all until prototype pictures are available.

More on the intentions of the upgradable front snorkel being tested/developed:

I imagine this upgradable snorkel adaptation will be similar to this Goke design:

Quote:
True Ram Air operation, supplying a highly pressurized air supply, particularly at speeds over around 100 mph where the ram - air pressurization effect is most effective.
- Greater available air volume for instant throttle response
- Colder intake temps, the faster you go the colder the incoming air temps ( "wind chill" effect)
-More free flowing supply of air to the engine
*Keep in mind, this wont be an exact copy by any means. The snorkel pictured above that feeds from the front kidney grills obviously would not fit on a car with stock fan/radiator/cooling system and thus Streamline's design will be different, but I think this illustrates the idea and intention.

More on the intentions of the intake runner testing and development, which will be flow tested and compared against the stock CSL intake runners:

That is it for now, but I will update this thread as things progress. Once again, hoping to have prototype pictures in the next 3ish weeks, maybe sooner.

Once things are finalized and ready for market, look forward to a Group-Buy!

Mods: Maintenance, WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS 'lockdown', Supersprint V1 Stepped headers w/ Oversized Section 1, SS Resonated X-Pipe section 2, RE El Diablo Muffler, BBS LMs w/ PSS, Streamline CSL Bumper, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, Angel-eyes, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune, CSL Dynamic Redline Warmup Light parameters.
Upcoming Group-Buys (PM if Interested): OE CSL Bootlids, CSL Bumper, OE CSL Wheels, Supersprint Headers MEGA thread, CSL Airbox...others in the works.
Please PM me - In search of:
-- Wanting to Trade basically brand new Eagle Eye Smoked Reverse Trunk Lights for a pair that are Non-smoked

Last edited by Dr M3an M3; Fri, Sep-29-2017 at 02:14:21 AM.
Jump to top Dr M3an M3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Sep-28-2017, 06:38:48 PM   #2
deeznutz972

United States

Default Re: Streamline & Dr M3an M3's CSL Airbox Development Journal Collaboration

Will the second snorkel will fit an evolve box?

The ram air system looks awesome

'11 e90 M3 SG/Nappa 6-Spd [ZCP, leather, slicktop]
'04 M3 AW/Nappa 6-Spd [Evolve airbox, TTFS, PSS9, Apex, Dinan, Sparco]
'14 Accord Sport Sedan
'13 Lexus GX 460 Premium
Jump to top deeznutz972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Sep-28-2017, 06:46:57 PM   #3
Dr M3an M3

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Streamline & Dr M3an M3's CSL Airbox Development Journal Collaboration

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeznutz972 View Post
Will the second snorkel will fit an evolve box?

The ram air system looks awesome
Pure speculation, but I would assume it would (assuming Evolve's (or even karbonius's) box is the same spec dimensions of the the original, which they all appear to be.) I am fairly sure they are all 3D computer scanned to replicate the original. In any case, it will be easy for me to confirm once I receive mine. My friend has an Evolve box, so it would be easy for me to check the Evolve box for cross compatibility. Hoping to have a prototype to test shortly as well.

Mods: Maintenance, WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS 'lockdown', Supersprint V1 Stepped headers w/ Oversized Section 1, SS Resonated X-Pipe section 2, RE El Diablo Muffler, BBS LMs w/ PSS, Streamline CSL Bumper, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, Angel-eyes, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune, CSL Dynamic Redline Warmup Light parameters.
Upcoming Group-Buys (PM if Interested): OE CSL Bootlids, CSL Bumper, OE CSL Wheels, Supersprint Headers MEGA thread, CSL Airbox...others in the works.
-- Wanting to Trade basically brand new Eagle Eye Smoked Reverse Trunk Lights for a pair that are Non-smoked

Last edited by Dr M3an M3; Fri, Sep-29-2017 at 02:19:38 AM.
Old Thu, Sep-28-2017, 06:52:52 PM   #4
youinreverse

In the garage:

United States

Following. I'm excited to see what comes of this.
Jump to top youinreverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Sep-28-2017, 06:54:30 PM   #5
Laguna01///M3
PapaSmurf

United States

So excited for this. CSL box is on my short list!
Old Thu, Sep-28-2017, 06:59:53 PM   #6
TboneM3
YNWA

In the garage:

United States

*Rubs hands together*

Excellent /Mr. Burns

In

Evolve-R eVenturi Euro Headers|sect 1 OM Scorza sect 3 OE CSL trunk D/A pullies/fan delete TMS Camber/Sub plates RE Street Trans Mounts
Besian AKG poly SUB/DIFF SDW RTAB ZHP knob + UUC DSSR TMS Sway GroundControl S/A (Koni/Eibach 440/550) + tall RSMs APEX 75mm Studs
Sportline 8S 18x8.5/9.5" PSS 245/275 ss brake/clutch lines Pioneer DEH-80PRS Eclipse PA5422 CDT HD-6 + WS-100i CDT EX-530 8" Kicker

DD/Beater: 1999 Civic LX - Kenwood x998 PPI 1600.4 CDT HD-6 + HD-100 CDT EX-530 Clarion 10"
Jump to top TboneM3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Sep-28-2017, 07:14:00 PM   #7
Cha5en

United States

I think the big question is, what price range will it be set around?

Quote:
Apart from anything else, it would give a tremendous 'feelgood' boost to the end of the season, be the greatest comeback story since Lazarus, and give us a chance to enjoy Robert's laconic humour again. Remember that monster shunt of his in Canada? The next day, as he walked out of hospital, a journalist asked him if he'd seen the crash on TV. Robert Kubica stopped, looked the journo right in the eye and said: "I've seen it twice: the first time I was there!"
Jump to top Cha5en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Sep-28-2017, 07:16:49 PM   #8
Brian N
wubalubadubdub

In the garage:

United States

After you said hive mind all I could think of was this. "Resistance is futile"

So are they still creating two versions of the box? Or do these options cover both? I know they were talking about a prototype style one as well.

-My Journal-
Jump to top Brian N is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Sep-28-2017, 07:21:57 PM   #9
rpearl555

United States

Gahhhh
It's too late for me. I think I'll be sticking with my box BUT I definitely want to know what becomes of this. If they do produce that prototype big mouthed csl one then I'll likely falter and become poorer
Jump to top rpearl555 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Sep-28-2017, 07:22:34 PM   #10
Dr M3an M3

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cha5en View Post
I think the big question is, what price range will it be set around?
Its a little early to tell. One of the major goals of this project (aside from performance and quality control) is affordability. Right now, there really is not an "affordable" CSL airbox option on the market. I anticipate that it will cost between 1k-1.5k for the airbox. Not sure what the snorkel will cost. The idea is to have an airbox to compete with Karbonius's quality at Geoff Steel prices, if that makes sense.