BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Aug-23-2017, 06:05:37 PM   #1
03.5_m3_dinans2

United States

Default SMG issue right after Vanos refresh (gears not changing)

Y’all, I need some help with my SMG; the Cog light is on and the SMG is stuck and wouldn't change gears. I have searched around and haven’t been able to find a similar situation to what I have (checked SMG troubleshooting FAQ post). I apologize for a long post but I wanted to mention all the information that might be relevant. Thanks in advance for your help.

Background: 2003 M3 w/SMG with 100,094 miles. Had the car since 20K miles and performed most of the maintenance myself. In May I decided to perform the complete Beisan Vanos refresh. Before Vanos procedure the car ran great, no performance issues, and no lights on the dash. During Vanos procedure I cross-threaded the timing chain tensioner, I got the car towed to an indy shop they chased the threads and towed the car back to the house. I finished the procedure and everything is now put back together three months later. Didn't perform any other work besides Vanos procedure.

Issue: After the Vanos procedure I started the car for first time. It started up just fine with no issues but 15 seconds later the SES and yellow Cog light came on. I moved the SMG lever around but it was stuck in neutral, I heard the noise as if it was trying to switch gears but nothing happened on the dash. I turned the car off few minutes later.

I checked for pump priming and it primes for about 5 second and sounds normal, checked the SMG hydraulic fluid and it was at max, replaced the salmon relay. Made sure hood, trunk, and doors were properly shut (verified with INPA).

Disconnected the battery for about 30 minutes. Got back in the car, ignition in ON position (didn’t start the car), the lever is neutral position but this time it showed 1 on the dash. Went through reverse, neutral, and 1 and all showed 1 on the dash (again I can hear noise like it trying to switch but nothing changed on dash). Moved lever over to Neutral and with the 1 on the dash I was able to start the car. I moved lever to reserve, neutral, and up/down and it’s stuck on 1.

Got my laptop loaded with INPA connected to the car and found these errors.
3 SMG errors:
87 Aktions modi (Burkhart suggests: N/A)
17 solenoid valve gear backward (Burkhart suggests: Replace solenoid valve / Check wiring harness and plug connectors).
58 not able to take out of gear (Burkhart suggests: Bleeding and adapt)

https://burkhart-engineering.com/epa...gories/SMGWiki

1 Engine error:
177 MIL External Info

With INPA I was able to put SMG in Reverse, First, Second, and Neutral (didn’t try 3/4/5/6). I took tranny shields off from under the car and didn’t find anything that looked out of place.

I’m not too familiar with INPA but I will run the SMG test using INPA this weekend. I don't have access to GT1 or anything else.
Will also follow Burkhart suggestion and I will check the wiring harness but have to remove the airbox first.

Any other thoughts and suggestions from anyone else with more experience will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Jump to top 03.5_m3_dinans2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Aug-23-2017, 10:57:17 PM   #2
ThunderMoose

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: SMG issue right after Vanos refresh (gears not changing)

I am spit wadding but did you reconnect the ground wire from coil pack? Center of engine passenger side. If not it will back feed and do bad stuff - usually kills the fuel pump relay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#67 2017 NASA TX TT3 Champion

FLMS Half Cage, RaceTech 4009HR drivers seat, Schroth 6-Pt Harness, E.S.S. Fire System, AIM SOLO DL with ECU Harness, SmartyCam, Angle Aluminum with VAC dead pedal, Sparco Steering Wheel on MOMO hub, MCS Suspension, Hyperco 800F 900R springs, Hotchkis Front and Rear Sway bars, Vorshlag Camber Plates, Turner ARCA, AJ Hartman Front Splitter, BW V2 Wing, BW CF Rear Diffuser, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Brembo BBK Front, Carbon Fiber Roof, CF Headlight Blanks, Door Windows and Cards Delete, TMS rear and front subframe reinforcement, Zionsville Competition Cooler, BW Oil Cooler, Oil Diverter Valve, Motorsports Thermostat, Evolve CF Intake, Epic Stepped Headers, Turner Pulleys, BW 3.5" Race Exhaust, EPIC Alpha N Tune, Beisan Oil Disk and Vanos Seals, ZF 5MT, CAE Ultra Shifter

My track journal: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=509148
Jump to top ThunderMoose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Aug-24-2017, 12:39:59 AM   #3
M_Parallel
Mr. OEM

Netherlands

Not much help, but I don't see any relation between Vanos and SMG not working.

What happens if you clear the codes? Do they come back right away?

A stuck valve/solenoid for backwards movement of the selector rod will make it impossible to move it out of gear.
Makes sense if it's stuck in 1st as that is a forward (in the H-pattern) gear. But if INPA could make it engage R and 2nd, the rod needs to move backwards. Which makes the error seem weird.

If an electrical connection is bad, it shouldn't do anything. If INPA can do it...

I'd just make sure all fuses are fine and all connectors are fitted correctly.

Might try running the gearbox adaption.

'98 M3 3.2 SMG Cabrio • Alpinweiß III auf Schwarz • Deutschland-ausführung
Jump to top M_Parallel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Aug-24-2017, 02:07:59 AM   #4
03.5_m3_dinans2

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
I am spit wadding but did you reconnect the ground wire from coil pack? Center of engine passenger side. If not it will back feed and do bad stuff - usually kills the fuel pump relay.

Yes, the ground wire is secured with the bolt onto the side of the engine.
Old Thu, Aug-24-2017, 02:14:12 AM   #5
03.5_m3_dinans2

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Parallel View Post
Not much help, but I don't see any relation between Vanos and SMG not working.

What happens if you clear the codes? Do they come back right away?
Yes, I agree Vanos has nothing to do with SMG. Nothing related to SMG was touched and the battery was disconnected the whole time while the car was down.

I did try to clear the codes. At first I was only getting "17 solenoid valve gear backward" error code. After I cleared them the other other 2 SMG codes popped up.
Old Thu, Aug-24-2017, 11:57:42 AM   #6
M_Parallel
Mr. OEM

Netherlands

Still weird. If INPA can shift gears, there is nothing wrong with the actuator/pump/hydraulics.

Maybe something at the shiftlever/paddles? As that's the only thing INPA does not use, but the driver does.

Just trying to deduct here.

'98 M3 3.2 SMG Cabrio • Alpinweiß III auf Schwarz • Deutschland-ausführung
Jump to top M_Parallel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Aug-24-2017, 08:12:13 PM   #7
03.5_m3_dinans2

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Parallel View Post
Still weird. If INPA can shift gears, there is nothing wrong with the actuator/pump/hydraulics.

Maybe something at the shiftlever/paddles? As that's the only thing INPA does not use, but the driver does.

Just trying to deduct here.
I will check connections at the shifter too.

When I was moving the shifer around the main indicator on the cluster read-out Neutral (0) but as I moved the shift pattern indicators to the right did lit up on the corresponding selection.
Old Wed, Sep-06-2017, 05:34:24 PM   #8
SMGee

United States

Just read through your thread and I think I know what your issue is.

You mentioned that your car was 'towed' half way through the procedure.

When my gear position sensor went, it was literally a few months after I got my SMG pump done. The two are completely unrelated but I was gutted regardless.

The day my Gear Pos Sensor (GPS) went, I tracked back on how I drove the car that day. The car started having gear selection issues on the way back from my friends house (newly moved in and my first visit)

His driveway was awakrd as hell to get onto and on the way into the drive, the car took a bump on the underside a 1/3 of the length of the car (from the front). This is roughly the area of where the gearbox sits. and the Gear Posititon Sensor sits directly above the gearbox (the space in there is VERY tight, almost no clearance between the GPS and the body of the car (contact point).

I narrowed it down to the bump knocking the GPS sensor out of place, enough to make it mis function. The bump was pretty big. Since then I have seen two other m3's develop the SAME issue under the same circumstances.

You mentioned your car was towed - I'm thinking at some point during getting it onto the trailer and getting it off, the same area has taken a bump and knocked the GPS out of its correct position. I got my GPS sensor replaced as I wasnt sure if the bump, just moved mine a little or completely broke it. I got it replaced for good measure and the knuckle on the actuating rod also replaced at the same time if I needed to run adaptations in the future.

The issue is 100% your GPS sensor (the thing that sits behind the actuator iirc) - Its no biggie but hopefully knowing what the issue is will bring some peace till you get it looked at.

Good luck!
Jump to top SMGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Sep-06-2017, 07:54:42 PM   #9
SliM3

In the garage:

United States

Default SMG issue right after Vanos refresh (gears not changing)

You may want to go back to INPA and check for codes in some of the modules; i.e. DSC, ABS, Instrument cluster. They all communicate via CAN BUS and influence the SMG module. There might have a been a condition that skewed the values and confusing SMG.

177 will go away when you clear the SMG errors.

///M3 '06 Carbon Black

DEMOCRACY is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
LIBERTY is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
-Benjamin Franklin

- Checksum corrections for modified DME partial & full bin files

- CSL SMG Engine Parameters (DME) by Slim

- Fuel adaptations explained

- Checksum Verification
Jump to top SliM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Oct-06-2017, 03:53:59 PM   #10
03.5_m3_dinans2

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMGee View Post
Just read through your thread and I think I know what your issue is.

You mentioned that your car was 'towed' half way through the procedure.

The issue is 100% your GPS sensor (the thing that sits behind the actuator iirc) - Its no biggie but hopefully knowing what the issue is will bring some peace till you get it looked at.

Good luck!
An update; still having issues.

Got my car towed to a Indy shop to replace Gear Position Sensor. Before replacing the GPS, since the fault code 17 was "solenoid valve gear backward" they checked the solenoid valves connections and the 4 valves themselves and it all checked out and nothing abnormal. The solenoid valves can be activated using software. Turned the car back on and no cog light in reverse and neutral. When the car was shifted to first the cog lit up. Fault code with Rheingold was along the lines that it can't change gears. Running the test failed when gear changed from 1 to 2.

Now we decided to replace GPS. Switched out the sensor. Using Rehingold to read code and perform tests. The code is S2GSP, SMG jumps out of gear. When running the bleeding gearbox actuator test, the test doesn't complete. I'm attaching the screenshots. The GPS is not an issue and the shop will replace the GPS back to original one so I can recover some money on the new sensor.

Please help!!!! I don't know what to do next (swap probably lol but financially not ready for it yet). Check compression springs???

Any suggestions? Thanks for all the help so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8053_1.jpg (733.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8052_1.jpg (716.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8051_1.jpg (723.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8050_1.jpg (722.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8049_1.jpg (699.9 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by 03.5_m3_dinans2; Fri, Oct-06-2017 at 06:43:12 PM. Reason: Updated pictures