BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Fri, Aug-11-2017, 11:19:30 AM   #41
Sircharles

United States

Default Re: Designing an SMG Pump Relocation Kit

Subscribed.
Jump to top Sircharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Aug-11-2017, 02:05:07 PM   #42
Cha5en

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by idntknow2005 View Post
my abs is also in the drug bin.

Ill be the one designing and HOPEFULLY producing this relocation kits. I have been in a custom fabricating for about 15 years and im currently an engineer for akebono. thankfully I work the night shift and have access to all machinery with out people questioning what im doing. my plan is to make 1 -3 kits and give them away for actual cost to people who will test them and give me their thoughts and concerns and then writing a review/diy.

I personally like the idea of putting the unit in the trunk (more room, easier to route lines and less heat) but I get that people don't like that idea due to losing some trunk space.

Cool, hope it goes well! Personally, like you mentioned earlier, the ultimate relocation is a manual swap. I just can't bring myself to accepting SMG on these cars

Quote:
Apart from anything else, it would give a tremendous 'feelgood' boost to the end of the season, be the greatest comeback story since Lazarus, and give us a chance to enjoy Robert's laconic humour again. Remember that monster shunt of his in Canada? The next day, as he walked out of hospital, a journalist asked him if he'd seen the crash on TV. Robert Kubica stopped, looked the journo right in the eye and said: "I've seen it twice: the first time I was there!"
Jump to top Cha5en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Aug-11-2017, 03:07:49 PM   #43
billybilly
XBox one peasant

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cha5en View Post
I just can't bring myself to accepting SMG on these cars
Heresy!

Who will be making the lines for these kits if you have gotten that far yet?
Old Fri, Aug-11-2017, 04:06:23 PM   #44
idntknow2005

United States

Hydradyne made me a set. But I'm looking to source the lines and make them myself. Any thing I do myself will lower the cost of the kit.
Old Fri, Aug-11-2017, 04:14:44 PM   #45
werfer

In the garage:

United States

Personally I'd much rather relocate to the drug bin
Old Fri, Aug-11-2017, 04:21:25 PM   #46
jared212

United States

Quote:
Do you have an issue drilling a hole in the floor board of your trunk? It will fit perfectly in the little recess under the carpet. The only issue is that there currently isn't a access hole to run the hydraulic lines through. I personally think the trunk is a better location, but im sure there won't be many people who are willing to drill a hole through the floor
Sounds like a great solution for keeping bin open and a little weight distribution benefit.

Although, routing those stiff lines thru exhaust, suspension and half-shafts may be difficult considering how many different setups are out there. The electrical will have to be much longer and likely upsized for the motor leads considering 12VDC voltage drop. I also like eliminating the factory hyd lines altogether.

It all seems very ambitious compared to the original drug bin solution.
Jump to top jared212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Aug-11-2017, 04:29:34 PM   #47
Dr M3an M3
Why does everyone think my name is Dan? lol

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared212 View Post
Sounds like a great solution for keeping bin open and a little weight distribution benefit.

Although, routing those stiff lines thru exhaust, suspension and half-shafts may be difficult considering how many different setups are out there. The electrical will have to be much longer and likely upsized for the motor leads considering 12VDC voltage drop. I also like eliminating the factory hyd lines altogether.

I'll let IDntKnow2005 tackle this (above my pay grade haha) but we will be experiementing with both spots. We will also be picking up some temperature sensors to put in my stock SMG location, 'drug-bin', and trunk in order to record temperature differences between these locations.

Mods: Maintenance, WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS 'lockdown', Supersprint V1 Stepped headers w/ Oversized Section 1, SS Resonated X-Pipe section 2, RE El Diablo Muffler, BBS LMs w/ PSS, Streamline CSL Bumper, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, Angel-eyes, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune, CSL Dynamic Redline Warmup Light parameters.
Upcoming Group-Buys (PM if Interested): OE CSL Bootlids, CSL Bumper, OE CSL Wheels, Supersprint Headers MEGA thread, CSL Airbox...others in the works.
Please PM me - In search of:
-- Wanting to Trade basically brand new Eagle Eye Smoked Reverse Trunk Lights for a pair that are Non-smoked
Jump to top Dr M3an M3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Aug-11-2017, 04:46:27 PM   #48
0-60Motorsports
Established 1998....

In the garage:

Bahrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr M3an M3 View Post
I'll let IDntKnow2005 tackle this (above my pay grade haha) but we will be experiementing with both spots. We will also be picking up some temperature sensors to put in my stock SMG location, 'drug-bin', and trunk in order to record temperature differences between these locations.

Excellent!
EURO 04 M3 Mods: GC DA's / Eibach Sways / PF RTABs / RE RCAs / INTRAVEE II / ///MFEST Badges / M5 SMG Knob / VCSL: Bumper + Race Lip, CF Trunk, CF Diffusor / DIETZ TV in Motion / SuperSprint: Stepped Headers, Cat Deletes, Res X-pipe, Sport Muffler / Z8 Starter Button / Lamin-X / STM Paddles / OEM CSL: Steering, Interior, Intake, CF Roof / Terra MSS54HP CSL Clone + TTFS Tune / BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ / ST40's / DINAN RSB / RE Race Brace / BW Oil Cooler / 3.91 gears / Radium OCC
Jump to top 0-60Motorsports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Aug-11-2017, 04:49:52 PM   #49
idntknow2005

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared212 View Post

Although, routing those stiff lines thru exhaust, suspension and half-shafts may be difficult considering how many different setups are out there. the lines are fairly flexible, i dont forsee that being an issue. The electrical will have to be much longer and likely upsized for the motor leads considering 12VDC voltage drop.I plan to run 16 or 14 gauge wire (its free) so it will be upsized, i can test it but I'm 99.9% sure there won't be a voltage drop over 5 or 6 feet. I do have the proper equipment at my house to test everything prior to shipping. I also like eliminating the factory hyd lines altogether.

I answered the questions above.

The original drug bin location is easy enough, I just dont want to alienate 2001-2003.5 cars (respect your elders)
Old Fri, Aug-11-2017, 05:21:58 PM   #50
billybilly
XBox one peasant

United States

Quote:
I answered the questions above.

The original drug bin location is easy enough, I just dont want to alienate 2001-2003.5 cars (respect your elders)
Should only be 01- early 02 cars with ABS in the drug bin, my car 09/2002 build does not have ABD in the drug bin