BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Sun, Feb-19-2017, 04:19:38 PM   #1
Technician_Dude
1999 M3

United States

Default My 99 M3, long term daily driver, rebuild thread

I've had this car since 2008 and have been using it as my primary car most of the time. I've had a number of beaters through the years but I've gotten rid of all of them now and have decided to have only one car: the M3.

The car is in fairly good condition considering I've pretty much treated it like a Honda civic Well, maybe not that bad, I've mostly taken care of it. When I got the car, I replaced the RTABS and have done a number of things which I can't really remember anymore. I recall going through several suspensions such as bilstein springs, then coilovers, and eventually settling on the stock springs and koni yellows that it has now.

There are quite a few things I meant to do to the car that never happened. Life has had its ups and downs and I've kind of let the car go for a number of years, mostly when I was back in school for a second bachelors and could not afford to do anything besides keep the car and try to keep miles off it so it wasn't completely shot by the time I was in a position to maintain it properly.

So now it's 2017 and I am gainfully employed, I have the car and have mostly managed to not ruin it. It had about 70,000 miles when I bought it and currently has around 120,000. My goal is to exceed 200,000 miles on the car.

I'm hoping that posting here will help me stay organized and keep track of what I'm doing, and need to do. I like visiting this forum because it is full of useful information, reasonable people, and awesome cars to look at!

Without further rambling, this is the car in question as it sits right now:

99m3 by Mike R, on Flickr

Rolling disaster...

Titanium silver, sport package, manual, winter tires and wheels

This is my list of things to do: Any advice or opinions are welcome.

- Fix squeaking pulleys (squeaks at idle in very low temps)

- Fix power steering leak

- Completely rebuild front suspension. It's clunky and the control arm bushings are completely shot.

- New windshield.

- Set up roof rack for carrying 2-3 bikes, this will make the car far more practical for me.

- Fix the front bumper which has a torn mounting point from hitting ice.

- Replace a missing brake duct and the front underpanel.

- Get an X brace.

- New headlights.

- Fix hood alignment.

- Fix washer nozzles.

- Replace various exterior rubber and fix trim issues.

- Clay bar the paint

- Attempt to fix peeling clear on one of the mirrors, the car may ultimately need a respray or partial respray.

- Look into getting OEM mud flaps because I want them.

- Decide what to do about wheels, currently have mediocre condition DS2, am rolling on borrowed DS1 for winter.

- Replace the destroyed front seats with Recaro R100 seats, save the vaders. If I could have the seats redone properly for less than getting the recaros I would consider it, but the weight savings are always welcome.

- Replace the steering wheel because I like aftermarket steering wheels, had a nardi and sparco in the last two cars I had before the m3 and they were always my favorite part of the car. I might catch shit for taking out the airbag but at some point you just have to admit you like what you like and own it.

- Replace the alpine CD player with something that has Bluetooth - times have changed...

- Replace the plastic shifter retaining ring that is destroyed from 9 years of occasional dumbasses not being able to find reverse and ripping the shifter out of the bushing

- Fix the handbrake. Cable is broken or disconnected somewhere. Hopefully this won't be too much of an ordeal.

- Fix the brake light switch.

- Fix the OBC screen.

- Cabin filter.

- Deep clean the interior whenever the front seats are out.

- Replace the cooling system. When I got the car I replaced the thermostat but besides that it has the original cooling system!! Yes, really, but I have always kept a close eye on it. Currently there is play in the fan and the cooling system must be replaced ASAP before anything else. I may change out the mechanical fan for an electric fan.

- Air filter, spark plugs, basic tune up items.

- Rebuild VANOS

- Inspect guibo and various drivetrain wear items. I recall installing upgraded transmission mounts and maybe motor mounts?

- Consider getting a cat-back exhaust again, but I recall preferring the stock exhaust back in the day.

Last edited by Technician_Dude; Fri, Feb-24-2017 at 09:51:57 PM.
Jump to top Technician_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Feb-19-2017, 08:20:50 PM   #2
Evtron

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: My 99 M3, long term daily driver, rebuild thread

Welcome! Pic is broken, mind reposting? Love seeing E36s restored and brought back to life.

Your list looks good. When you replace the underpanel, go with Motion Motorsport or similar aftermarket; I wouldn't bother with the OEM piece here IMO. I love my MM panel.

Lots of people run aftermarket steering wheels on these cars, I don't think you'll catch too much flack on this one.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

E36 M3 Sedan Journal

Last edited by Evtron; Sun, Feb-19-2017 at 09:50:43 PM.
Jump to top Evtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Feb-19-2017, 09:29:03 PM   #3
Technician_Dude
1999 M3

United States

Thanks for the advice on the underpanel. I was thinking about going with an aftermarket one. Also I guess I forgot how to use Imgur, maybe it works now.
Old Sun, Feb-19-2017, 10:31:56 PM   #4
westopher

Canada

They block imgur here for some reason. Flickr is the best site to host photos. Its nice seeing people rekindling their love with their e36s when they have the means to do so. Second thread like this of the week.

98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 100k and officially worthless.
Member journal. http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=491859
Jump to top westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Feb-19-2017, 11:55:17 PM   #5
pbonsalb

I would replace all 31 bushings, mounts, ball joints and end links, front to rear. Best thing you can do to a 20 year old BMW. Make it ride with the suppleness it had when it was young. Most people just put on aftermarket shocks, which is easy but often makes things worse. Doing everything is a big job but worthwhile.

Redo the shifter linkage as well.

Redone or R100 seats, new shift knob, new clutch pedal, new or recovered steering wheel will also make it more pleasant to drive.

Maintenance like fluids and filters is a good idea.

Replacing the entire cooling system is smart given the age and mileage.
Jump to top pbonsalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Feb-20-2017, 01:41:19 AM   #6
Evtron

In the garage:

United States

Basically do everything

E36 M3 Sedan Journal
Jump to top Evtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Feb-20-2017, 02:52:15 AM   #7
betrezra

United States

Goid thread.... your list is similarto mine... im at 177k miles.
Jump to top betrezra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Feb-20-2017, 02:44:49 PM   #8
JitteryJoe

In the garage:

United States

The pixels are bad on the OBC screen? There is a guy on ebay that will repair these. GermanTech I believe (or something like that). Just send him the OBC box and he'll return nicely refreshed.
Old Mon, Feb-20-2017, 04:04:09 PM   #9
Nate047

In the garage:

United States

Picture is broken, but if the car is stock aside from Recaros and like a Nardi wheel, that's gonna look weird lol. Good luck with the project, all of that sounds totally attainable in quick fashion depending on how quick you work.
Old Mon, Feb-20-2017, 11:52:14 PM   #10
Technician_Dude
1999 M3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
They block imgur here for some reason. Flickr is the best site to host photos. Its nice seeing people rekindling their love with their e36s when they have the means to do so. Second thread like this of the week.
I'll have to sign up for flickr then. I have a real camera so I'll take a non cell phone picture at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
I would replace all 31 bushings, mounts, ball joints and end links, front to rear. Best thing you can do to a 20 year old BMW. Make it ride with the suppleness it had when it was young. Most people just put on aftermarket shocks, which is easy but often makes things worse. Doing everything is a big job but worthwhile.

Redo the shifter linkage as well.

Redone or R100 seats, new shift knob, new clutch pedal, new or recovered steering wheel will also make it more pleasant to drive.

Maintenance like fluids and filters is a good idea.

Replacing the entire cooling system is smart given the age and mileage.
Was planning on replacing all of the above suspension components. It does have aftermarket RTABs and RSMs at least, as well as a z3m shifter and ZDP shift knob along with CDV delete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by betrezra View Post
Goid thread.... your list is similarto mine... im at 177k miles.
Good luck, it's a lot of stuff to fix haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by JitteryJoe View Post
The pixels are bad on the OBC screen? There is a guy on ebay that will repair these. GermanTech I believe (or something like that). Just send him the OBC box and he'll return nicely refreshed.
Interesting. My friend actually fixed his himself so I'm gonna ask what he did then try it instead of paying someone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate047 View Post
Picture is broken, but if the car is stock aside from Recaros and like a Nardi wheel, that's gonna look weird lol. Good luck with the project, all of that sounds totally attainable in quick fashion depending on how quick you work.
Yeah, I know what you mean about it maybe looking weird, as soon as I move to a warmer climate with better roads (1.5 years from now) I'm going to lower it again and probably get a LTW replica wing and splitter so it will look more aggressive, for now it's stock appearing from the outside besides the roof rack.

I actually got the steering wheel from my friend and I don't think it's gonna look too racy or weird, not sure on the seats but it can't look worse than vaders with torn up bolsters? We'll see.

MOMO retro

IMG_0555 by Mike R, on Flickr