BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Tue, Feb-07-2017, 04:17:53 PM   #41
SQ13

United States

Default Re: Thoughts on this E36 for DD use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Yeah I don't see this car as being a "too good to be true" car.
It shows exactly as what I'd expect minus their being no accidents. I still would call bullshit on that with the rear bumper paint being shitty, and the missing/misaligned emblem.
I'd still PPI it at that price and be ready to lowball.
So PPI, then lowball? What do you think would be considered a lowball offer, since he is "asking $7k?" $6k, 5.5k, 5k? This is a flip car, so I have no idea how much he paid for it and how much money he put into it. I'm looking at ~$1.5-2k to fix it up to my standards, which would be a slow process with parts being prioritized (like my E46).
Old Tue, Feb-07-2017, 04:28:50 PM   #42
westopher

Canada

I have a very different idea of what a lowball is than most since I'm too Canadian to barter. I'd say 6k. Even at 7k, like I said barring anything awful, it still seems fair.

98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 103k and officially worthless.
Member journal. http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=491859
Jump to top westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Feb-07-2017, 06:17:03 PM   #43
Poorhouse

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ13 View Post
So PPI, then lowball? What do you think would be considered a lowball offer, since he is "asking $7k?" $6k, 5.5k, 5k? This is a flip car, so I have no idea how much he paid for it and how much money he put into it. I'm looking at ~$1.5-2k to fix it up to my standards, which would be a slow process with parts being prioritized (like my E46).

Assuming it hasn't been hit as the seller states what would it be worth with the deferred maintenance done?

$9k - $10k?

With that in mind his asking price isn't far off.
If you could get it for $6k I think you would be in it pretty well.

The negative is the paint issues.
Do you want to be $10k into a car that needs to have the top surfaces repainted?

You're running into the dilemma of bringing a ratty car up to snuff or starting off with a better car.

IMO you're better off saving some more money and buying a better car to start with. You should be able to find something in good physical shape, most maintenance done and under 120k miles for $12k-$14k.

If you want to stay under $10k and find a fixer I'd hold out for a better candidate. You could have found this car before the flipper. There are always more coming on the market. Be prepared to act quickly. If you are getting a bargain price you probably won't have the luxury of getting a PPI done.
The good deals go to fast. If you can get a good set of photos/videos and trust the seller go for it.
Old Tue, Feb-07-2017, 07:09:52 PM   #44
W///

In the garage:

Thailand

Quote:
I think you're probably looking at more than that to get it to a good standard. There's always something to be fixed on these cars, and the cost add up.

Having said that, I don't see anything ridiculously bad about this car, especially at $7k. Hell, if you get this car for $5k, you stole it IMO.

Jump to top W/// is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Feb-07-2017, 07:19:24 PM   #45
SQ13

United States

I'm not in a rush to buy. I have other priorities, so I will take a look at it when I have time, either this Friday or after next Thursday. If it sells by then, so be it. If not I'll take a look at it and determine if I want to proceed with PPI. After PPI if I think I want it, I'll make an offer. I'll take photos if I look at it, and we'll see how bad the condition really is. I will continue doing daily searches on here, Autotrader, and CL in the meantime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
I think you're probably looking at more than that to get it to a good standard. There's always something to be fixed on these cars, and the cost add up.

Having said that, I don't see anything ridiculously bad about this car, especially at $7k. Hell, if you get this car for $5k, you stole it IMO.
Something always pops up lol.

Old Tue, Feb-07-2017, 07:39:15 PM   #46
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
This also stems from the fact that having driven a bunch of base E9Xs, I don't see how the older cars would be any more fun to drive; they're all boring.
I have an e9X non M. It is boring.

However,

e30, e36, and e46 non M's are a hoot to drive.

In some situations, I prefer driving my mom's e46 325xi to my M3. My best friend has an e36 325i that I borrow from time to time, and it's wonderful. He also has an e60 530i and it's a snoozefest. My e39 528i is a great time.

Pre bangle non M BMW's are awesome driving experiences. Do not let your e9X experience be your guide-- it does suck, but it's also unrelated to that which came before it.

... I don't think $6000 is a sufficient budget for a DDable e36 M3, even if your okay with it being a cosmetic hooptie (if you want it to be mechanically sound). But, e39 530i, e46 330i, e36 325/328, e34 6 cylinder cars would all be wonderful driving experiences, comfortable, and could easily be had within budget.

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, Wife's 6mt NA RWD e91, 04 M3 wagon
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Feb-09-2017, 09:17:10 PM   #47
englishtom1596q

In the garage:

United States

i don't think that cars been hit in the rear. I think the sun damage on the bumper is pretty standard because paint on plastic doesn't last very well in the sun compared to metal. The emblems missing and messed up doesn't scream to me a rear end accident. Wrong VIN tag, misaligned trunk, misaligned bumper and compressed bumper shocks indicate a rear end accident. All of that in mind, for 7K who cares if its been in a slight bump as long as its been repaired properly and everything is straight (which it looks to be).
Old Sat, Feb-11-2017, 02:43:07 AM   #48
SQ13

United States

Edit: Never mind. I'm wasting my time. I'm just gonna stop looking for a car.

Photos of the car.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By...S1nWDI1N2c2ckE

All PS lines need to be replaced. They're leaking pretty bad.
Shock/struts need to be replaced (FR is blown)
All rubber suspension/drivetrain parts (bushings; motor, trans, diff mounts) due for replacement. RSMs are new.
Whining noise when depressing/releasing clutch. Replace throw out bearing clutch, flywheel.
Can't put car into first gear at standstill sometimes.

Lots of dents = hail damage?
Windshield needs to be replaced.
Front and rear bumper, wing, and both mirror caps need to be repainted
All rubber window seals and windshield cowl need to be replaced.
Latch area on trunk lid is cracking.
Gas cap door does not lock. It probably flaps around when driving.
VIN tags present but cracking/peeling.

Seat rail/hardware corrosion?!
Both vader seat release handles non-functional. Broken cable?
Steering wheel needs to go.
Replace glovebox
Rear seats FUBAR. I don't think simple cleaning will fix them.
Headliner sag
Dead bug inside the left rear light housing. (I hate bugs)

Cable throttle is weird. Slipped the clutch a lot when moving from standstill and stalled two times. Rev matching and heel-toeing was easy and fun. Motor feels strong.

Asking price is $7k. Offered 5.5k. Declined. He will take 6k though. To PPI or to not PPI is where I'm at now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
I have an e9X non M. It is boring.

However,

e30, e36, and e46 non M's are a hoot to drive.

In some situations, I prefer driving my mom's e46 325xi to my M3. My best friend has an e36 325i that I borrow from time to time, and it's wonderful. He also has an e60 530i and it's a snoozefest. My e39 528i is a great time.

Pre bangle non M BMW's are awesome driving experiences. Do not let your e9X experience be your guide-- it does suck, but it's also unrelated to that which came before it.

... I don't think $6000 is a sufficient budget for a DDable e36 M3, even if your okay with it being a cosmetic hooptie (if you want it to be mechanically sound). But, e39 530i, e46 330i, e36 325/328, e34 6 cylinder cars would all be wonderful driving experiences, comfortable, and could easily be had within budget.
There are literally no non-M E36s in Texas. I'll give the E46 a chance and test drive one. E36 M3 is more badass though.

Last edited by SQ13; Sat, Feb-11-2017 at 03:16:30 AM.
Jump to top SQ13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Feb-11-2017, 01:44:35 PM   #49
englishtom1596q

In the garage:

United States

the sun has not been kind to that car for sure! that car basically needs a whole respray and all new rubber seals if you wanted it to look presentable. For a DD that you wouldn't mind parking it wherever and getting door dings i think 5K is a good deal. But then again I do all the work on my cars so bushings, clutch, shocks are done in a weekend work for me.

I really think you need to increase your budget if you want a halfway presentable car. you're searching in the dirt looking for a gem with you price point. Why don't you look at the e46 330I ZHP? 10K gets you a very clean one with reasonably low miles
Old Sat, Feb-11-2017, 04:15:56 PM   #50
Poorhouse

In the garage:

United States

I would pass on that one at $6k.

I would tell you to be patient, that you will find a good example.
Not sure that is going to happen at your budget.