BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Oct-12-2017, 10:54:46 PM   #41
Bimmerman325i
Beardface McMountainMan

United States

Default Re: 13.5F/13R & 19's - most comfortable suspension avail?

I'll add yet another voice to the chorus saying TCK above all, if you want coilovers, or koni + springs if you don't want coilover compromises.

Across my cars I've had Bilstein+springs, TCK DA, AST 4100, MCS DA, Stock, and have sitting in a box the Dinan Koni+Spring kit (haven't installed, so won't discuss).

The TCKs were by far the best sporty DD suspension of the lot, followed by stock. The streetability of the TCKs is impressive, and they are still plenty capable on track. I tracked mine like crazy and loved them, but jumped to MCS when I thought I was going to go full racecar. Still hasn't happened, but the car is really only used for autox/track so it was worth it.

The ASTs were mediocre. Poor ride quality IMO, wasn't impressed, didn't keep them long. I bought into the monotube marketing hype and was sorely disappointed.

The MCSs....holy crap. Amazing racecar shock. Poor street shock, when compared to the TCKs. Still very streetable but ride quality is much more firm than the TCK type kits. I'm glad I bought them for the track car but I would not buy them for a street car or primarily streeted car. These shocks have incredible bump control, but don't let the hype fool you into thinking that makes them a better street shock than a Koni-- it absolutely does not.

Stock was...stock. New OE stock is very nice, especially for not caring about potholes or ground clearance. I'm pretty excited to put the Dinan kit on the car to get a bit sportier version of the stock setup on the non-S54 car.

I do wish we could retrofit the GM magnetic shocks onto the E3/46 Ms. Those are incredible IMO.

Last edited by Bimmerman325i; Thu, Oct-12-2017 at 11:01:49 PM.
Jump to top Bimmerman325i is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Oct-12-2017, 11:14:25 PM   #42
rpearl555

United States

What are the compromises of coils if they have lifetime warranty? Just increased maintenance intervals? (Tck in this case)
Currently on new konis
Jump to top rpearl555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-12-2017, 11:20:39 PM   #43
Bimmerman325i
Beardface McMountainMan

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpearl555 View Post
What are the compromises of coils if they have lifetime warranty? Just increased maintenance intervals? (Tck in this case)
Currently on new konis
Just a few, in my approximate level of annoyance
--NVH. It WILL be worse.
--Rebuild interval. Again, will be worse.
--Set up time. Don't discount this-- more knobs to twiddle means lots of time twiddling.
--Cost for height adjustment you won't use after week 2. Self explanatory.
--Alignment shops will rip you off for having 'complicated' adjustments
--Ground clearance will likely be less, because more low bro
--Shock travel will be less, because shorter components designed for lower ride heights.
--Back to the top, NVH-- city roads will be less comfortable, impacts will be harsher, all because you're using a performance damper on roads that snowplows happily mutilate.
--The more you spend, the worse the ride quality on the street. BUT. The less you spend, the worse the ride quality everywhere. TCKs hit the horrid-good-bad ride quality pricing sweet spot.

That all said, there are many benefits to coilovers for performance and sporty driving. It's worth recognizing the drawbacks exist.
Old Fri, Oct-13-2017, 03:32:07 AM   #44
twentyseven
I probably hate your car

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerman325i View Post

--The more you spend, the worse the ride quality on the street. BUT. The less you spend, the worse the ride quality everywhere.
Literally LOL'd. Absolutely spot-on!

'99 Estoril Blue + Dove Grey ///M3 coupe
Technique Tuning Stage 1 Turbo, TCK DA, Rallyroad Brembo BBK, Recaro SRD, ZF 6spd, BMW Traffic Pro 4771, ZKW FX-R
Jump to top twentyseven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Oct-13-2017, 04:56:59 AM   #45
Brian N
wubalubadubdub

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Just a few, in my approximate level of annoyance
--NVH. It WILL be worse.
--Rebuild interval. Again, will be worse.
--Set up time. Don't discount this-- more knobs to twiddle means lots of time twiddling.
--Cost for height adjustment you won't use after week 2. Self explanatory.
--Ground clearance will likely be less, because more low bro
--Shock travel will be less, because shorter components designed for lower ride heights.
--Back to the top, NVH-- city roads will be less comfortable, impacts will be harsher, all because you're using a performance damper on roads that snowplows happily mutilate.
--The more you spend, the worse the ride quality on the street. BUT. The less you spend, the worse the ride quality everywhere. TCKs hit the horrid-good-bad ride quality pricing sweet spot.

That all said, there are many benefits to coilovers for performance and sporty driving. It's worth recognizing the drawbacks exist.
This post needs its own sticky. Agreed with above. Spot on.

-My Journal-
Jump to top Brian N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Oct-13-2017, 06:16:08 AM   #46
aznbo187
XIII

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
The ASTs were mediocre. Poor ride quality IMO, wasn't impressed, didn't keep them long. I bought into the monotube marketing hype and was sorely disappointed.
Care to elaborate on mono vs twin? Conceptually, I still don't understand a clear advantage for either configuration and when one is preferred over the other. Current setup is the Eibach PSS which is a mono - however, tbh, I remember my friends TCK being more comfortable at a higher spring rate and lower height.
Old Fri, Oct-13-2017, 06:28:28 AM   #47
Bimmerman325i
Beardface McMountainMan

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznbo187 View Post
Care to elaborate on mono vs twin? Conceptually, I still don't understand a clear advantage for either configuration and when one is preferred over the other. Current setup is the Eibach PSS which is a mono - however, tbh, I remember my friends TCK being more comfortable at a higher spring rate and lower height.
Theoretically there is a difference in response and consistency of performance, in addition to ride comfort and load handling and the size of the rainbow a unicorn farts under a blue moon while Saturn is in retrograde.

Realistically, in my experience twin tubes seem comfier and monotubes tend to be harsher. The real magic comes in the damper piston and design of the damping mechanism (eg MCS bump dissipation) and that far outweighs, IMO, the academic twin tube vs monotube debate. I don't think the distinction matters what so ever for a street suspension.

As far as a blanket statement can be made however, twin tubes a la Koni are well mannered trackable sporty street shocks. Monotubes such as MCS and Bilstein are stiff streetable race car shocks. Then you have JRZ RS coming in as a twin tube spoiler to the race car shock brigade, so while the trend exists it is hardly a definitive statement.

Last edited by Bimmerman325i; Fri, Oct-13-2017 at 06:33:49 AM.
Old Fri, Oct-13-2017, 02:46:39 PM   #48
whips333

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Here ya go buddy
Jump to top whips333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Oct-13-2017, 03:52:27 PM   #49
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
I'm pretty excited to put the Dinan kit on the car to get a bit sportier version of the stock setup on the non-S54 car.

I do wish we could retrofit the GM magnetic shocks onto the E3/46 Ms. Those are incredible IMO.
I'm running the Dinan/koni setup on the m3 wagon right now. It's pretty great at <=90% intensity, but gets flustered above that. For a car I don't plan to track, I'm enthused. When I'm going out for a hard drive, I'll take the coupe every time.

Quote:
My M3 wagon came with the eibach coilovers. I had to pull them off-- way too bouncy for me.

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, Wife's 6mt NA RWD e91, 04 M3 wagon
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Oct-13-2017, 09:18:13 PM   #50
WuBai
Five Spiced and Lovin' It

United States

Quote:
The MCSs....holy crap. Amazing racecar shock. Poor street shock, when compared to the TCKs. Still very streetable but ride quality is much more firm than the TCK type kits. I'm glad I bought them for the track car but I would not buy them for a street car or primarily streeted car. These shocks have incredible bump control, but don't let the hype fool you into thinking that makes them a better street shock than a Koni-- it absolutely does not.
Let me throw this out there, how would MCS DA or JRZ RS2 level dampers with 350/400 springs compare to TCK DA with the same spring rates? I'm looking for the more comfortable option.
Jump to top WuBai is offline   Reply With Quote