BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Oct-12-2017, 03:09:22 AM   #1591
paulclaude

Scotland

Default Re: Official Dyno Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger View Post
Euro cars are more like 250-260whp. Pretty much all European dynos are bhp estimates idk why but they do. Sometimes you see rwhp sometimes coastdown losses. Paul could show the same graph but rwhp next time he's there as means for comparison. Dyno dynamics just adds like fixed ~20% for "shoot_6" which is not the most scientific method lol
Trying not to turn the thread into a UK vs. US dyno figure debate, but Dynojet dyno's also apply a correction factor, hence the over inflated 'whp' figures. I believe the non-corrected raw 'whp' figure from a Dyno Dynamics are similar to that of a Mustang Dyno. FWIW my last run was 322 'WHP' non-corrected.

The large deltas you guys end up with I think all come down to starting with the catted headers and conservative US tune. Throw a set of Euro Headers on and a tune and you are in the 300HP area, which isn't too far away from my stock figure. And then, there's your higher ambient temps vs. UK to throw into the mix. Either way, you can't directly compare dyno figures, so like I always say, it's the delta that matters.
2005 E46 M3 Track - DIY Tuned - SSV2/BW 3.5" Single Exit - Schrick 288/280 - AEM Infinity - Karbonius CSL Intake - Nitron NTR R3 - Turner ARBs - Poly Bushed - Apex ARC-8 Square Setup - Alcon 365/345mm F&R BBK - Corbeau Buckets - Sabelt Harnesses - SD Half Cage - 6MT Conv. w/CAE Ultra Shifter - Seibon CSL Carbon Boot - GSR Carbon Wings

Last edited by paulclaude; Thu, Oct-12-2017 at 03:30:17 AM.
Jump to top paulclaude is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Oct-12-2017, 06:48:12 AM   #1592
digger

United States

I'm just pointing out mis informed posts from others not aware of the apples vs oranges they are talking about. I've seen dyno dynamics ( properly setup) vs dyno jet within the same day and on a 250 to 275 hp engine the difference was just under 5%. It appears as the power level goes up the difference become much more apparent.
Old Thu, Oct-12-2017, 07:47:25 AM   #1593
paulclaude

Scotland

Quote:
I'm just pointing out mis informed posts from others not aware of the apples vs oranges they are talking about. I've seen dyno dynamics ( properly setup) vs dyno jet within the same day and on a 250 to 275 hp engine the difference was just under 5%. It appears as the power level goes up the difference become much more apparent.
When talking dyno figures, it's a bunch of mixed fruit. Even dyno's of the same type/manufacturer can read differently, so again it's hard to compare. That's why the delta between runs is really the only accurate measurement you can base things on.

We should be discussing how to improve/lift the curve, rather than comparison of the absolute number - would be far more constructive
2005 E46 M3 Track - DIY Tuned - SSV2/BW 3.5" Single Exit - Schrick 288/280 - AEM Infinity - Karbonius CSL Intake - Nitron NTR R3 - Turner ARBs - Poly Bushed - Apex ARC-8 Square Setup - Alcon 365/345mm F&R BBK - Corbeau Buckets - Sabelt Harnesses - SD Half Cage - 6MT Conv. w/CAE Ultra Shifter - Seibon CSL Carbon Boot - GSR Carbon Wings
Jump to top paulclaude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-12-2017, 09:48:08 AM   #1594
HassanEido

In the garage:

Lebanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulclaude View Post
When talking dyno figures, it's a bunch of mixed fruit. Even dyno's of the same type/manufacturer can read differently, so again it's hard to compare. That's why the delta between runs is really the only accurate measurement you can base things on.

We should be discussing how to improve/lift the curve, rather than comparison of the absolute number - would be far more constructive
This times a million
Modified stock airbox,afe plastic intake elbow Afe prodry drop in, electric fan conversion,SSV2 catless headers, custom 2.5" dual sec1, custom sec2 2.5" dual with e9xM X pipe, SuperSprint Race inspired custom section 3,tms pulleys,Cat Cams 280 272, custom dyno tune, csl box pending
357.7 whp 283.5 wtq

Last edited by HassanEido; Thu, Oct-12-2017 at 11:07:41 AM.
Jump to top HassanEido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-12-2017, 09:24:18 PM   #1595
Dr M3an M3
GroupBuyingPower@outlook. com

In the garage:

United States

Quote:

Quoted because this concept can't be repeated enough.

Mods: Maintenance, WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS 'lockdown', Supersprint V1 Stepped headers w/ Oversized Section 1, SS Resonated X-Pipe section 2, RE El Diablo Muffler, BBS LMs w/ PSS, Streamline CSL Bumper, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, Angel-eyes, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune, CSL Dynamic Redline Warmup Light parameters.
Active Group-Buys (PM if Interested): OE CSL Bootlids, CSL Bumper, OE CSL Wheels, Supersprint Headers/Exhaust MEGA thread, CSL Airbox, Brembo, Cams/Pistons...and more to come!
Please PM me - In search of:
-- Wanting to Trade basically brand new Eagle Eye Smoked Reverse Trunk Lights for a pair that are Non-smoked
Jump to top Dr M3an M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-12-2017, 10:09:46 PM   #1596
Turb02

In the garage:

United States

Stage 2 gen3 AA SC (upgraded from 81 to 91 blower, not retuned)w/m kit and 70mm pulley

Recent MX:
fresh oil, air filter, coolant system, idlers and tensioner pulleys, belts.
Last valve adjustment and plug change was 15 months ago (~13000 miles)

Some reason Im only getting ~8.5PSI

Temp was 93, humidity was above 60%

75% smoothing

Active Autowerke Stage 2-AA Headers-Meisterschaft-Vorsteiner-Brembo-BBS-CSL
Jump to top Turb02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Oct-13-2017, 08:15:32 AM   #1597
digger

United States

Quote:

i dont disagree one bit, but the vast majority of people are looking at the final numbers in an absolute sense let alone area under the curve lol
Old Fri, Oct-13-2017, 10:57:20 PM   #1598
Dr M3an M3

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
i dont disagree one bit, but the vast majority of people are looking at the final numbers in an absolute sense let alone area under the curve lol
In that case, the vast majority of people would be wrong.

Looking at absolute numbers just seems like a fools errand. That being said, it seems like most people DO fall under that category. Everyone seems focused on the "My car has XXXhp" game as if it is a dick measuring contest. To me, this just seems to allude to the fact that those same people don't really understand the purpose of a dyno and how it is actually used. People seem to think it's like a weight scale, regardless of who's scale you are on or the 'conditions' 200lbs is 200lbs, right!? The reality is, with this analogy, everyone's scale reads a pound differently. One scale says 200lbs, another says 250lbs, and another says 180lbs. What matters is the change (delta) between runs, while keeping conditions to be as exact as possible between runs, not the absolute numbers which are all but meaningless unless you are on a manufacturer's engine dyno (which is almost never the case).

Gaining 20 pounds is gaining 20 pounds, regardless if one scale reads 200 to 220, 180-200, or 250-280. The final number doesn't really matter given the variance between dynos and all the ways one can manipulate those numbers to read however high one likes. What matters is the change being consistent. There is almost nothing absolute about the 'absolute numbers' by themselves.

Mods: Maintenance, WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS 'lockdown', Supersprint V1 Stepped headers w/ Oversized Section 1, SS Resonated X-Pipe section 2, RE El Diablo Muffler, BBS LMs w/ PSS, Streamline CSL Bumper, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, Angel-eyes, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune, CSL Dynamic Redline Warmup Light parameters.
Active Group-Buys (PM if Interested): OE CSL Bootlids, CSL Bumper, OE CSL Wheels, Supersprint Headers/Exhaust MEGA thread, CSL Airbox, Brembo, Cams/Pistons...and more to come!
-- Wanting to Trade basically brand new Eagle Eye Smoked Reverse Trunk Lights for a pair that are Non-smoked

Last edited by Dr M3an M3; Fri, Oct-13-2017 at 11:02:00 PM.
Old Fri, Oct-13-2017, 11:58:09 PM   #1599
digger

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr M3an M3 View Post
In that case, the vast majority of people would be wrong.

Looking at absolute numbers just seems like a fools errand. That being said, it seems like most people DO fall under that category. Everyone seems focused on the "My car has XXXhp" game as if it is a dick measuring contest. To me, this just seems to allude to the fact that those same people don't really understand the purpose of a dyno and how it is actually used. People seem to think it's like a weight scale, regardless of who's scale you are on or the 'conditions' 200lbs is 200lbs, right!? The reality is, with this analogy, everyone's scale reads a pound differently. One scale says 200lbs, another says 250lbs, and another says 180lbs. What matters is the change (delta) between runs, while keeping conditions to be as exact as possible between runs, not the absolute numbers which are all but meaningless unless you are on a manufacturer's engine dyno (which is almost never the case).

Gaining 20 pounds is gaining 20 pounds, regardless if one scale reads 200 to 220, 180-200, or 250-280. The final number doesn't really matter given the variance between dynos and all the ways one can manipulate those numbers to read however high one likes. What matters is the change being consistent. There is almost nothing absolute about the 'absolute numbers' by themselves.
yeah thats why i point out things that may not be obvious to others with respect to different dynos and what is being presented and how this compares to other things. it is all relevant to a dyno thread.
Old Sat, Oct-14-2017, 12:11:40 AM   #1600
Dr M3an M3

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
yeah thats why i point out things that may not be obvious to others with respect to different dynos and what is being presented and how this compares to other things. it is all relevant to a dyno thread.
Absolutely.