BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Oct-12-2017, 04:00:16 PM   #81
WyattH

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: What's your view on superchargers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Looks like your tune could use a bit of tweaking from 6700rpm to redline.
I'm not sure it's the tune. The dyno was right before I replaced coils and plugs, and I'd like to strap it on again (that's what she said? no?). It feels no different at redline and nobody else could figure it out (Dinan, M3F wizards, etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46IX View Post
That's not impressive when you consider you can have a dyno graph like that these days being NA.
The only way you're getting those numbers NA is with a full build short of a stroker. Airbox, cams, SSv1, and every other thing. And at that point you've spent far more. Also keep in mind that I have the most conservative and overpriced setup (Dinan tune is not exactly pushing any limits) and still have stock US headers. This is basically an intake on my car. Regardless, I don't think it makes the SC cars less impressive, just makes newer top shelf NA builds all the more impressive.

Dinan | CSL | RAC | TCK | Brembo | \\\WyattH's Journal

Last edited by WyattH; Thu, Oct-12-2017 at 04:10:00 PM.
Jump to top WyattH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Oct-12-2017, 05:47:29 PM   #82
WestRace
Banned

United States

I was told in California, adding a supercharger is an automatic smog check violation. Unless you know a few corrupted places to pass it for you.
Jump to top WestRace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Oct-13-2017, 06:11:05 PM   #83
Gatorsurgeon
BMW convert (pre-Bangle)

United States

I thought long and hard about putting an SC on my car, and read all the stuff from the naysayers. I put a Dinan kit on mine and have had it for about 70,000 miles now, after 60,000 before doing it. It's 5.5 PSI. It added 129HP and 66 lb-ft of torque, according to the dyno I did, which is exactly what Dinan advertised the kit would add.

How does it drive? It's exactly like a stock M3, only more so. Does it hold up? I've beaten the hell out of it on some track days and had no issues to speak of, other than heat after a 25 minute run on a 90-degree day.

A moderate amount of SC boost, properly cooled, makes a great engine into an insanely great engine. if you put some higher boost system in just to make the maximum amount of power you can, then you'll prove the naysayers right.
Dinan S3-R conversion (Vortech supercharger, intercooler, larger aluminum radiator, larger oil cooler, extra intercooler fan, automatic belt tightener, throttle bodies, exhaust, software, 3.91 diff w. SMG software)
Dinan Stage II suspension (JRZ), TMS adjustable camber plates, Dinan wheels, Nitto Invo's (275/30/19), Brembo BBK (355mmF/345mmR with custom-painted LSB 4-piston calipers)
For the track: D-Force LTW-5's (18x9.5" all around) w. Nitto NT-01's (275/35/18)

Jump to top Gatorsurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Oct-14-2017, 12:22:28 AM   #84
SHRMN8TR

United States

Been reading the thread for a while, good reads/opinions. Still wouldn't buy an SC'ed M3

I saw this on another forum, thought I'd share. Even a race car M3 with ESS SC can't keep up with a 918 Hypercar. Can't say I was surprised when that 918 disappeared on the back straight.

Jump to top SHRMN8TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Oct-14-2017, 12:39:36 AM   #85
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

I am not pro supercharger... but if your criteria is "keeps up with a 918"... you won't be getting much.

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, Wife's 6mt NA RWD e91, 04 M3 wagon
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Oct-14-2017, 12:52:01 AM   #86
tectonic
its custom

Poland

My Mini Cooper is supercharged. It sucks the gas out like you wouldn't believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[Pbase]

FOR SALE: Thule Sidearm 594XT Bike Rack (x2).
PM ME FOR PRICE.
Jump to top tectonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Oct-14-2017, 01:10:41 AM   #87
Dr M3an M3
GroupBuyingPower@outlook. com

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHRMN8TR View Post
Been reading the thread for a while, good reads/opinions. Still wouldn't buy an SC'ed M3

I saw this on another forum, thought I'd share. Even a race car M3 with ESS SC can't keep up with a 918 Hypercar. Can't say I was surprised when that 918 disappeared on the back straight.

Modified M3 vs 918 Hypercar Track Battle - YouTube
Such a strange comparison. That is like bringing an old cold war era gun to a modern ICBM fight.

Mods: Maintenance, WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS 'lockdown', Supersprint V1 Stepped headers w/ Oversized Section 1, SS Resonated X-Pipe section 2, RE El Diablo Muffler, BBS LMs w/ PSS, Streamline CSL Bumper, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, Angel-eyes, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune, CSL Dynamic Redline Warmup Light parameters.
Active Group-Buys (PM if Interested): OE CSL Bootlids, CSL Bumper, OE CSL Wheels, Supersprint Headers/Exhaust MEGA thread, CSL Airbox, Brembo, Cams/Pistons...and more to come!
Please PM me - In search of:
-- Wanting to Trade basically brand new Eagle Eye Smoked Reverse Trunk Lights for a pair that are Non-smoked
Jump to top Dr M3an M3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Oct-14-2017, 01:27:24 AM   #88
SHRMN8TR

United States

Not trying to compare, just saying I noticed someone else posted their experience (of their SC M3). It was more of a cool video I felt you guys would enjoy.
Jump to top SHRMN8TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Oct-14-2017, 01:53:57 AM   #89
Dr M3an M3
GroupBuyingPower@outlook. com

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Not trying to compare, just saying I noticed someone else posted their experience (of their SC M3). It was more of a cool video I felt you guys would enjoy.
Very cool video. I know you were just sharing content for us to enjoy and were not making the comparison, no worries. I was just saying it was strange that the content creators chose an E46 M3 to race a 918 for a 'Track Battle'.

Mods: Maintenance, WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS 'lockdown', Supersprint V1 Stepped headers w/ Oversized Section 1, SS Resonated X-Pipe section 2, RE El Diablo Muffler, BBS LMs w/ PSS, Streamline CSL Bumper, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, Angel-eyes, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune, CSL Dynamic Redline Warmup Light parameters.
Active Group-Buys (PM if Interested): OE CSL Bootlids, CSL Bumper, OE CSL Wheels, Supersprint Headers/Exhaust MEGA thread, CSL Airbox, Brembo, Cams/Pistons...and more to come!
Please PM me - In search of:
-- Wanting to Trade basically brand new Eagle Eye Smoked Reverse Trunk Lights for a pair that are Non-smoked
Jump to top Dr M3an M3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Oct-14-2017, 02:06:15 AM   #90
808elise

United States

Quote:

Modified M3 vs 918 Hypercar Track Battle - YouTube
Lol of course not, it's sc'd. But my turbo would.....