BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Oct-12-2017, 01:16:33 AM   #11
aznniche

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Please don't tell me I need a new transmission or SMG pump... (vid inside)

Clutch related.. I had the same issue.
http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthrea...ghlight=clutch
Old Thu, Oct-12-2017, 02:40:19 AM   #12
brichter
Unregistered Abuser

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Please don't tell me I need a new transmission or SMG pump... (vid inside)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonaviolet View Post
read the codes. i have a similar issue and and mine is pointing towards gps.
How many miles on your car?

Mine died coming back from IMSA at LS (wouldn't shift into 3rd on the freeway), I popped off at the next exit, shut it off, restarted and it was fine the rest of the way over the hill.

2 days later it did the same thing, I swapped out the SMG relay (while an SJ cop was giving me stinkeye from across the intersection), and then it did it again the next day. Replaced the detent springs, one was bent, but it wouldn't relearn the shift positions. Stuffed a known good GPS in it and it relearned fine, so waiting on a new one now.
Old Thu, Oct-12-2017, 03:00:25 AM   #13
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whoore

Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by brichter View Post
How many miles on your car?

Mine died coming back from IMSA at LS (wouldn't shift into 3rd on the freeway), I popped off at the next exit, shut it off, restarted and it was fine the rest of the way over the hill.

2 days later it did the same thing, I swapped out the SMG relay (while an SJ cop was giving me stinkeye from across the intersection), and then it did it again the next day. Replaced the detent springs, one was bent, but it wouldn't relearn the shift positions. Stuffed a known good GPS in it and it relearned fine, so waiting on a new one now.

~ 210k

I already changed smg motor and accumulator. Ptech believes its the gps. So were changing it out as well as the compression spring. If that does not fix it .. dammit I have an actuator too.

Tischer aka GetBmwParts
Jump to top daytonaviolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-12-2017, 03:59:58 AM   #14
RedM3/4

United States

I'd do the springs - all of them - before I'd do anything else.
If a spring is bad it may not make position.
Normally springs failures don't give codes,
but if they've not been done, I'd sure do them before a sensor or an actuator.

ADS
Quote:
~ 210k

I already changed smg motor and accumulator. Ptech believes its the gps. So were changing it out as well as the compression spring. If that does not fix it .. dammit I have an actuator too.
Jump to top RedM3/4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-12-2017, 05:58:05 AM   #15
brichter
Unregistered Abuser

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
~ 210k

~150k on mine, autocross every month and 5-6 track days per year. Not sure if S5/S6 has anything to do with it, but that's where mine spends a lot of time.
Old Sun, Oct-15-2017, 06:43:35 PM   #16
MegamanDS
Haters keep hatin

In the garage:

Armenia

So I swapped the salmon relay and the car now switched into gears and I was able to start it. But the code I got with my OBD was P1818. Looks like the SMG pump might be bad? Anyone else has had this code?

2005 SMG, Carbon Black Metallic with black interior, Cold Weather Package, Sports Package, Premium Sound, Navigation, 19" Rims, Bone Stock!
Jump to top MegamanDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Oct-16-2017, 02:08:11 AM   #17
jared212

United States

It is the gear positon sensor. OBD codes are useless, get INPA or bring it to someone who does.
Jump to top jared212 is online now   Reply With Quote