BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Marketplace > Cars for Sale/Wanted
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Cars for Sale/Wanted Place to list your private cars for sale. ONLY BMW's.

Old Sat, Dec-08-2018, 03:52:59 PM   #1
evano

United States

Default E36 M3

I figured I would start a thread as I've been looking for the right car for about a year now without much luck. I have actually bought and sold two in the meantime that just didn't turn out to be to my liking- one being a sight unseen horror story.

Mandatory requirements include:
-Coupe (unlikely, but may consider the right sedan)
-Manual Transmission
-No accidents/bodywork
-Maintenance history

Ideally the car would be a dakar or estoril coupe, garage kept, clean underside, original body and paint, original well kept interior, with under 85k. I'm realistic though- and open to other options. At the end of the day I just want a well kept and cared for car.

Might as well note I would also be interested in clean and well cared for Z4 M Coupe. Stock or close to it.

Located in Fairfield county, CT. Feel free to PM for further conversation.

Thanks,
Evan
Rate Seller View Rating
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Dec-08-2018, 05:17:17 PM   #2
remychopp

Default Re: E36 M3

Pretty much what Iím looking for from a condition perspective. Iíve also been looking for a while with no luck. Since someoneís going to ask, you should add a budget.
Jump to top remychopp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Dec-08-2018, 09:14:28 PM   #3
evano

United States

I guess if I had to put a cap on my E36 M spending it would be somewhere around 20k, give or take a few bucks. I think a good one can still be had for a bit less though.
Jump to top evano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Dec-10-2018, 10:25:51 PM   #4
JJCTHE1

In the garage:

United States

Speaking from years of general M3 experience and lots of current experience waiting it out to find the right dakar car, good call posting a WTB ad. Your budget is very realistic I think you can be prepared to spend a little more, or a little less just depends on the car and the seller. I wouldnt worry too much about original paint, I would focus more so on the body and the VIN tags all being in place with zero rust as well as a documented service history as these are the items that will get you a good car with a well preserved value. While having all original paint is nice, its not really likely for a 20 year old car.

If you are in CT, I would also be prepared to travel as an original CT car likely will have a rusty undercarriage which is a no go for me.

Dakar is very hard to find, Estoril seems to be popping up a bit lately.

There is a 70k mile Dakar 98 on BAT right now at 20k and I think it will go for around 22k-23k. A similar Estoril car sold for 18kish if I recall a few months ago.

AND these are NOT Grade A+ cars, dont let the mileage fool you, there are plenty of well loved 130k mile M3s out there that can rival the condition of 50k mile cars.

During my hunt I almost gave up on Dakar and considered Alpine, I found plenty of "low mileage" turds that didnt look anything like 50k, 60k or 80k miles etc.

So I would get a punch list of deal breakers, stick to them and wait it out.

I know the market for these is creeping up - a clean 98-99 coupe in the right color combo with a documented service history is becoming nearly impossible to find.

Even the cars that are early builds, sedans, dove interiors, etc. super clean and documented are getting tough to find. They are out there, just be prepared to strike when it crosses your plate.

I bought my last 2 M3s via this forum, posted a wanted ad and bought both before the seller posted them.
Old Mon, Dec-10-2018, 10:30:42 PM   #5
simon_c

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJCTHE1 View Post
Speaking from years of general M3 experience and lots of current experience waiting it out to find the right dakar car, good call posting a WTB ad. Your budget is very realistic I think you can be prepared to spend a little more, or a little less just depends on the car and the seller. I wouldnt worry too much about original paint, I would focus more so on the body and the VIN tags all being in place with zero rust as well as a documented service history as these are the items that will get you a good car with a well preserved value. While having all original paint is nice, its not really likely for a 20 year old car.

If you are in CT, I would also be prepared to travel as an original CT car likely will have a rusty undercarriage which is a no go for me.

There is a 70k mile Dakar 98 on BAT right now at 20k and I think it will go for around 22k-23k. A similar Estoril car sold for 18kish if I recall a few months ago.

AND these are NOT Grade A+ cars, dont let the mileage fool you, there are plenty of well loved 130k mile M3s out there that can rival the condition of 50k mile cars.

During my hunt I almost gave up on Dakar and considered Alpine, I found plenty of "low mileage" turds that didnt look anything like 50k, 60k or 80k miles etc.

I know the market for these is creeping up - a clean 98-99 coupe in the right color combo with a documented service history is becoming nearly impossible to find.

Even the cars that are early builds, sedans, dove interiors, etc. super clean and documented are getting tough to find. They are out there, just be prepared to strike when it crosses your plate.

I bought my last 2 M3s via this forum, posted a wanted ad and bought both before the seller posted them.
The estoril on BAT that "sold" for $18k didn't actually sell. The seller ghosted on the buyer (forum member here) likely because he didn't get the price he wanted even though there was no reserve/met the reserve).
Old Tue, Dec-11-2018, 12:20:35 AM   #6
remychopp

Another example of a BAT ďsaleĒ that didnít go through. Donít understand how this keeps happening. Same thing with a few P cars which sold on the site.

Sellers love to use them as the authority for market value but their inflated sale numbers donít always pan out. They should recall the failed transactions instead of including them in their model charts.
Jump to top remychopp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Dec-11-2018, 12:52:41 AM   #7
Mcap

In the garage:

United States

What about this one... http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=603168

Not Dakar but seems nice and low mileage
Jump to top Mcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Dec-11-2018, 05:59:17 AM   #8
evano

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJCTHE1 View Post

Thanks for the info. I know my budget is very realistic for a good, clean, relatively low mileage car. Now will I happen to find an estoril or dakar that suits, we'll see. I've had 2 silver 99 coupes before and honestly I'm not completely opposed to another, but ideally I'd make the switch. Finding a good well taken care of car is priority. Garage kept original paint is nice, but in no way a deal breaker.

I'm fine traveling or shipping. I usually buy out of state for the rust/corrosion concerns, although I have seen my fair share of immaculate original east coast cars.

I'm well aware of the BaT situation and have purchased 2 cars on there. Mixed feelings. The site has grown tremendously in the last 2 years and has brought a lot of new traffic. Which brings positives and negatives. As always buyers should do their research and diligence, and be cautious of what and who you're buying from. Also I agree that just because someone bids/pays x for y on day z, does not show true market value. Lots of emotional bidding and impulsiveness can and will happen. I don't think that dakar car is the right one for me.

By the way I know exactly what you mean about the high mileage rivals. I had a 140k 1999 that literally looked like it rolled off the lot. Immaculate was an understatement. Its condition put 2 others I had with half the mileage to shame.
Jump to top evano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Dec-12-2018, 12:59:42 AM   #9
JJCTHE1

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcap View Post
What about this one... http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=603168

Not Dakar but seems nice and low mileage
Yea this car looks awesome, especially if you like silver.
Old Thu, Dec-13-2018, 02:51:32 PM   #10
WIDERS911

United States

I have a 99 coupe that I'm considering selling come the new year. It's Hellrot over Magma interior, 119k miles. Original panels (with VIN sticker) and paint, no accidents, clean carfax. Major maintenance items have been addressed.

PM me if you have any interest.
Jump to top WIDERS911 is offline   Reply With Quote