BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Sep-08-2011, 05:17:36 AM   #41
0-60Motorsports
Established 1998....

In the garage:

Bahrain

Default Re: Diffsonline.com 4.10 Upgrade = Big Win. My Review.

Would an SMG car still not upshift at redline with 3.91s? I drive in auto 50% of the time cos of traffic and I would like to be able to use my auto mode. Thanks.
EURO 04 M3 Mods: GC DA's / Eibach Sways / PF RTABs / RE RCAs / INTRAVEE II / ///MFEST Badges / M5 SMG Knob / VCSL: Bumper + Race Lip, CF Trunk, CF Diffusor / DIETZ TV in Motion / SuperSprint: Stepped Headers, Cat Deletes, Res X-pipe, Sport Muffler / Z8 Starter Button / Lamin-X / STM Paddles / OEM CSL: Steering, Interior, Intake, CF Roof / Terra MSS54HP CSL Clone + TTFS Tune / BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ / ST40's / DINAN RSB / RE Race Brace / BW Oil Cooler / 3.91 gears / Radium OCC
Jump to top 0-60Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Sep-08-2011, 05:34:04 AM   #42
Need_a_M3
vroom vroom guy

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSMG View Post
Find a REAL diff pro. There is nothing special about our diffs. A guy can either do it or he can't.
That's what I thought..... Before I bought my M I heard all sorts of people saying "well to work on those cars you need specials tools, special skills, special this that and all kinds of special special blah blah" So far I've installed a full exhaust, headers, stage 2 s/c kit, SSK and various other odds and ends and have pulled off this and that am yet to find myself in need of those special little tools, techniques, fairies and whatever else people seem to think this car requires. I'm sure you are 100% correct that the diff is no different!
Jump to top Need_a_M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Sep-08-2011, 10:00:51 AM   #43
MisterEm

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports View Post
Would an SMG car still not upshift at redline with 3.91s?
Nope. Operates as it should with 4.10's so I don't see why 3.91's would be any different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_a_M3 View Post
and Im yet to find myself in need of those special little tools, techniques, fairies and whatever else people seem to think this car requires. I'm sure you are 100% correct that the diff is no different!
No need for anything but the will to do it. Working on these cars is much easier than I expected as well.

Nope. Nothing fancy about the rearend. The 210mm diff shares the carrier bearings and the crush sleeve of a Ford 9" and 8.8" rearends (check the timken catalog yourself!). Run of the mill differential parts for sure. The LSD is another story...
Old Thu, Sep-08-2011, 10:29:10 AM   #44
0-60Motorsports
Established 1998....

In the garage:

Bahrain

[QUOTE=MisterEm;1065049467]Nope. Operates as it should with 4.10's so I don't see why 3.91's would be any different.

QUOTE]

Bro so your saying that the car will upshift in auto mode with no probs with 3.91 gears?

I have emailed EVOLVE to ask and see what they can do about the SMG SW to fix the upshift issue as I use auto mode in my car often due to traffic.
EURO 04 M3 Mods: GC DA's / Eibach Sways / PF RTABs / RE RCAs / INTRAVEE II / ///MFEST Badges / M5 SMG Knob / VCSL: Bumper + Race Lip, CF Trunk, CF Diffusor / DIETZ TV in Motion / SuperSprint: Stepped Headers, Cat Deletes, Res X-pipe, Sport Muffler / Z8 Starter Button / Lamin-X / STM Paddles / OEM CSL: Steering, Interior, Intake, CF Roof / Terra MSS54HP CSL Clone + TTFS Tune / BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ / ST40's / DINAN RSB / RE Race Brace / BW Oil Cooler / 3.91 gears / Radium OCC
Old Thu, Sep-08-2011, 10:30:16 AM   #45
Mr. Wolfe
Anti-Bling

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_a_M3 View Post
That's what I thought..... Before I bought my M I heard all sorts of people saying "well to work on those cars you need specials tools, special skills, special this that and all kinds of special special blah blah" So far I've installed a full exhaust, headers, stage 2 s/c kit, SSK and various other odds and ends and have pulled off this and that am yet to find myself in need of those special little tools, techniques, fairies and whatever else people seem to think this car requires. I'm sure you are 100% correct that the diff is no different!
By "special tools", people must be referring to torx wrenches/sockets and hex sockets. You have to go to "special" places like Sears to pick them up.

Mr. Wolfe

2006 Interlagos/Black ///M3 Coupe 6MT
1987 Turquoise Green / Imola Red 325is Mtech1 w/ M62 V8 Swap
2003 Alpine/Cinnamon ///M3 Coupe 6MT (SOLD)
2003 Steel Gray/Black ///M3 Coupe 6MT (SOLD)
Jump to top Mr. Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Sep-08-2011, 10:35:39 AM   #46
MisterEm

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wolfe View Post
By "special tools", people must be referring to torx wrenches/sockets and hex sockets. You have to go to "special" places like Sears to pick them up.
Exactly.
Quote:
Bro so your saying that the car will upshift in auto mode with no probs with 3.91 gears?
Works flawlessly on stock SMG software or any aftermarket (DINAN/ESS) SMG flash.

Quote:
I have emailed EVOLVE to ask and see what they can do about the SMG SW to fix the upshift issue as I use auto mode in my car often due to traffic.
What's wrong with your software? The SMG will figure out the 4.10's rather quickly. There is no need to upgrade or modify your software to run 4.10's. I don't know who started that nonsense but I've heard it several times now. Bolt the diff on and go.

If you have access to a GT1 or Autologic reset the adaptations for the SMG at the same time with the 4.10 install.
Old Thu, Sep-08-2011, 10:38:02 AM   #47
0-60Motorsports
Established 1998....

In the garage:

Bahrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEm View Post
Works flawlessly on stock SMG software or any aftermarket (DINAN/ESS) SMG flash.

What's wrong with your software? The SMG will figure out the 4.10's rather quickly. There is no need to upgrade or modify your software to run 4.10's. I don't know who started that nonsense but I've heard it several times now. Bolt the diff on and go.

If you have access to a GT1 or Autologic reset the adaptations for the SMG at the same time with the 4.10 install.
Roger that brother! Dropping the car off this Saturday for the 3.91s and Pulleys. Thanks

I asked Evolve about doing an SMG SW for the gearbox DME like ESS do. I trust Sal and if he says No need I wont think about it again
Old Thu, Sep-08-2011, 01:38:21 PM   #48
Mr.G3
Resident User

United States

great review- thanks. 4.10 is the last mod I intend to do- I always wanted to stay N/A and have already done all the other true ROI mods (headers, cats, software and suspension) and diffsonline has been the shop of choice- All I need is for the forum to donate so that I can go ahead and get it!!
Old Thu, Sep-08-2011, 04:20:59 PM   #49
scottu95

In the garage:

United States

Wow thanks for the info. I really thought I needed a SW update to modify the smg shiftpoints. This saves me $450! Definitely going to go with the 3.91s after the winter season.
Old Thu, Sep-08-2011, 04:43:41 PM   #50
6spd_legend

United States

This is way tempting. I never used to be a fan at the thought of going the full bolt-on route with these M's- but considering quality mods like this and an Evolve tune- I'm left to assume the M can turn into a whole new street beast without really affecting reliability or spending a fortune. I would think this is most most definitely affects 0-60 time along with quarter mile ET and MPH- does anyone have any insight? Seeing that HPF M's still haven't broken into 10's (looks like 30K just to get into 11's) - I'd think a full bolt on NA running mid 12's wouldn't be a bad route.

Jump to top 6spd_legend is offline   Reply With Quote