BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > Faults, Fixes and DIY
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Faults, Fixes and DIY Please share your experience and knowledge with other members by contributing your own DIY, or by helping another member find the elusive fix!

Old Thu, Mar-17-2011, 02:59:28 PM   #21
I M Legend

United States

Default Re: DIY: Differential output shaft seals

Is it necessary to remove the entire drive shaft or can you just disconnect and move out of the way?
Old Thu, Mar-17-2011, 04:58:17 PM   #22
darkcrash21
///Mike

South Korea

no, you dont have to remove the ds or even touch it. If you are working on the output shaft seals, you need to remove the output shafts from the diff.

2002 ///M3 Carbon Black / CF interior
VF-Engineering Stage 2 ● Tial Q BOV ● Okada Projects ● AEM Water/Meth ● Stoptech BBK ST60/ST40 ● HPF Stage 1 Feramic Clutch ● HPF/Walbro Fuel Pump ● Mason Engineering F/R Strut Bar and Clutch Pedal ● Ground Control SuperStreet Double Adj Coilovers w/ Hyperco 600F/700R ● Treehouse FCAB ● UUC Rear Lower Control Arms ● Eibach F/R Adj Sway Bars ● Agency Power Headers ● CPI section 1 w/ 400cell cats ● RE X-pipe with EVC ● RE El Diablo Ti ● Platte Forme AG Rear Subframe Reinforcement ● lots and lots of other crap...
Jump to top darkcrash21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Mar-17-2011, 06:04:50 PM   #23
I M Legend

United States

ok so I will need to disconnect the output shaft from the differential to the wheel hub correct?
Old Thu, Mar-17-2011, 06:19:59 PM   #24
darkcrash21
///Mike

South Korea

Quote:
Originally Posted by I M Legend View Post
ok so I will need to disconnect the output shaft from the differential to the wheel hub correct?
Correct, but in order to get the output shaft to clear out of the diff, you need to remove the sway bar and the exhaust. You should have enough clearance for the output shaft to pop out of the diff for you to replace the seals. A lot of work for a POS seal, especially if you dont have a lift.

VF-Engineering Stage 2 ● Tial Q BOV ● Okada Projects ● AEM Water/Meth ● Stoptech BBK ST60/ST40 ● HPF Stage 1 Feramic Clutch ● HPF/Walbro Fuel Pump ● Mason Engineering F/R Strut Bar and Clutch Pedal ● Ground Control SuperStreet Double Adj Coilovers w/ Hyperco 600F/700R ● Treehouse FCAB ● UUC Rear Lower Control Arms ● Eibach F/R Adj Sway Bars ● Agency Power Headers ● CPI section 1 w/ 400cell cats ● RE X-pipe with EVC ● RE El Diablo Ti ● Platte Forme AG Rear Subframe Reinforcement ● lots and lots of other crap...
Old Wed, Apr-06-2011, 03:11:41 PM   #25
I M Legend

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcrash21 View Post
Correct, but in order to get the output shaft to clear out of the diff, you need to remove the sway bar and the exhaust. You should have enough clearance for the output shaft to pop out of the diff for you to replace the seals. A lot of work for a POS seal, especially if you dont have a lift.
I'm replacing the seal on the passenger side, so this should be much easier since the exhuast will not be in the way. Do I still need to remove the sway bar?

What size socket will I need? It looks like some kind of Torx bit but the opposite.

Also, should I drain the fluid first before starting or does it not matter?

What are the torque specs for the bolts?

Is there a more detailed DIY than this one?

http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=230322

Last edited by I M Legend; Wed, Apr-06-2011 at 03:18:51 PM.
Jump to top I M Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-06-2011, 03:27:06 PM   #26
darkcrash21
///Mike

South Korea

it will make ur life a lot easier if you unbolted the 2 allen bolts holding the sway bar and just swing it down.

it is external torx but i dont remember the size.

dont know torque specs either, torqued them down by feel, like i usually do.

no other diy. sorry

Old Thu, Apr-07-2011, 03:41:00 AM   #27
I M Legend

United States

I only need to disconnect one side of the shaft and move it out of the way correct? or do I need to remove it completely from the car including the spindle from the wheel bearing?

OP, what does removing the wheel do? Is it absolutely necessary?
Old Thu, Apr-07-2011, 03:54:43 AM   #28
genuity

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalPunk View Post
Anyone know the part number for the input shaft seal?

@OP: Part number 8 in this picture

Is this something that needs to be replaced or is accessible after removing the output seals?

I need to replace all my seals while I have this diff out.
Jump to top genuity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Apr-07-2011, 04:01:42 AM   #29
darkcrash21
///Mike

South Korea

Aight, might as well tell you the whole DIY, so this will be a DIY within a DIY that links to another DIY lol.

For passenger side only. It's a lot easier.
1) Jack the rear end of the car and put on stands
2) Loosen all 4 allen bolts that holds up the rear sway bar and swing it down and out of the way.
3) Loosen all 6 external torx bolts. OP of this thread states its E11 or E12. I dont remember.
4) Using a pry bar, pop the passenger output shaft out of the diff. The shaft is held into the diff by a spring clip that needs to be compressed for the output shaft to slide out of the diff.
5) The output shaft will slide towards the wheel as it slides into the hub. Do the best you can to compress it all the way so you can slide the whole output shaft out of the diff. You might want to raise the wheel or lower to help you slide the output shaft. Just continue to work with it until it comes out.
6) Remove old seal, install new seal, install everything.

Old Sun, Apr-10-2011, 04:21:27 PM   #30
I M Legend

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcrash21 View Post
Aight, might as well tell you the whole DIY, so this will be a DIY within a DIY that links to another DIY lol.

For passenger side only. It's a lot easier.
1) Jack the rear end of the car and put on stands
2) Loosen all 4 allen bolts that holds up the rear sway bar and swing it down and out of the way.
3) Loosen all 6 external torx bolts. OP of this thread states its E11 or E12. I dont remember.
4) Using a pry bar, pop the passenger output shaft out of the diff. The shaft is held into the diff by a spring clip that needs to be compressed for the output shaft to slide out of the diff.
5) The output shaft will slide towards the wheel as it slides into the hub. Do the best you can to compress it all the way so you can slide the whole output shaft out of the diff. You might want to raise the wheel or lower to help you slide the output shaft. Just continue to work with it until it comes out.
6) Remove old seal, install new seal, install everything.
Thanks - so there's no need to remove the wheel or hub bearing nut correct?