BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Fri, May-15-2015, 08:56:25 PM   #1
VI_Mpower

In the garage:

United States

Default Question about clutch replacement

Hey everybody,
I roasted my clutch doing burn outs a few weeks back on my '99 M3 and decided it's time to upgrade and put in a lightweight flywheel. I was wondering how high I have to jack it to be able to drop everything out comfortably?
Thanks,
Rainier Haugen

Rainier Haugen
Seattle, WA
Jump to top VI_Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, May-15-2015, 10:30:20 PM   #2
Pierre i am
ranch me brotendo

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Question about clutch replacement

Oh man this thread again....

https://m.imgur.com/r/funny/vrjdqZ4
Jump to top Pierre i am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, May-16-2015, 07:45:11 AM   #3
SickSeries

United States

Most folks here on this board will consider your question in this order:
1) Why are you doing burnouts in an M3?
2) Why do you need a lightweight flywheel?
3) If you can't answer both of those question satisfactorily, this car will disappoint you...

But to answer your question, what exactly do you mean by comfortably? Many have completely replaced the clutch/flywheel and associated parts on simple jack stands, but of course, a lift is always preferable. I'd say a comfortable clearance is at least close to three feet. Dropping the exhaust, driveshaft, and then the transmission, you'll want some wiggle room. Others have done it with less, but how much are you willing to 'work'?

I did mine on a lift a few months back; invaluable.
Jump to top SickSeries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, May-16-2015, 12:59:52 PM   #4
Richardsperry
95 SC M3

United States

I wanted the flywheel just because I could. And the supercharger likes it.

Anyway, I bet you COULD do it with about 2 feet. Say the bell housing is 18" add 4.5" for a jack. It will be a complete PITA. You will be contorting yourself all over the place trying to find the correct positions..

I think you should really, REALLY, try to find a place with a lift and trans jack.

When I installed the 6 speed and M5 clutch/ ltw flywheel last winter in my garage. (yes I have a lift but no tranny jack). It took us old men about 5 hours. The hardest parts was lifting the 6 speed and getting the input shaft to the correct angle. A tranny jack would have made that a simple matter.

Thinking back on that, there is NO WAY IN HELL, I'd want to do that with the car on jackstands, unless I was young and stupid, and possibly broke. But if I was broke I wouldn't be owning an old German sports coupe...
Old Sat, May-16-2015, 01:19:09 PM   #5
Braymond141

United States

The M3 does tire screeching and drag racing just fine. Why does that even matter?

I'm becoming less and less a fan of lightweight flywheels. They are cheap and they do work well, but you sacrifice a lot of comfort for nothing. I would not consider this an "upgrade". Your VF setup isn't capable of exceeding the limitations of the stock dual mass flywheel.

Harbor freight 6ton truck stands make for a VERY comfortable swap experience. I bench pressed my 6-speed into place with shorter 3-ton stands without too much fuss. 6-ton stands would of been great at the time. 5-speed transmissions are very light and much easier to work with. Lifts are not needed if you are capable, fit and willing.
Jump to top Braymond141 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, May-16-2015, 04:28:00 PM   #6
JitteryJoe

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardsperry View Post
I wanted the flywheel just because I could. And the supercharger likes it.

Anyway, I bet you COULD do it with about 2 feet. Say the bell housing is 18" add 4.5" for a jack. It will be a complete PITA. You will be contorting yourself all over the place trying to find the correct positions..

I think you should really, REALLY, try to find a place with a lift and trans jack.

When I installed the 6 speed and M5 clutch/ ltw flywheel last winter in my garage. (yes I have a lift but no tranny jack). It took us old men about 5 hours. The hardest parts was lifting the 6 speed and getting the input shaft to the correct angle. A tranny jack would have made that a simple matter.

Thinking back on that, there is NO WAY IN HELL, I'd want to do that with the car on jackstands, unless I was young and stupid, and possibly broke. But if I was broke I wouldn't be owning an old German sports coupe...
It is not that bad doing it on jackstands. I did it by myself last year (and I bet we are close to the same age). Now the OP lists his age as 20 so he should have no problems.
Just get yourself some solid jackstands (6 Ton ones from harborfreight are good and often on sale), and get yourself a floor creeper.
But you need the right tools and that is where many have a problem.
Jump to top JitteryJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, May-17-2015, 03:36:43 AM   #7
Jrrrrrrr
Unregistered User

In the garage:

United States

Around 18" of clearance between the garage floor and bottom of the bellhousing is good to get the transmission in and out pretty easily with aid of a floor jack and transmisison adapter. The HF 3-ton jackstands and more robust models will lift the car up to that point with ease. I'd say you probably do want to go higher if you intend to chest press the transmission into place or you are finagling it into place with the unsteady aid of a cup mount on your floor jack.

Gripforce on ebay sells new Luk dual-mass flywheels and sachs clutch discs and pressure plates for not much more money than one of their light-weight setups, which really defeats the price advantage that LWF setups used to have. Given the NVH convern, I'd say there is zero advantage to a LWF setup unless you're going for a FI application that is well beyond stock HP/Tq.
Jump to top Jrrrrrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, May-17-2015, 07:37:58 AM   #8
VI_Mpower

In the garage:

United States

Well the eventual plan is 700 hp, hopefully in the next 3 years or so.

Rainier Haugen
Seattle, WA
Jump to top VI_Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, May-17-2015, 01:12:05 PM   #9
Richardsperry
95 SC M3

United States

That's a stupid plan...lol
Old Sun, May-17-2015, 01:28:19 PM   #10
pbonsalb

For a young person, jack stands are fine for a clutch job. Not fun but doable. I have done a clutch on mine with jack stands.

Slippage heats up clutches. If you plan on a lot of burnouts and racing off the line, you may want a more heat resistant friction material than an organic disc. But that comes with a price since engagement is not as easy or smooth.

You will figure this out since you will be changing the clutch again if you are to make 700 hp. And 700 breaks a lot more than the clutch. I have broken axles, driveshafts, clutches, a transmission and even a motor along the way.
Jump to top pbonsalb is offline   Reply With Quote