BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Mon, Mar-16-2015, 06:47:21 PM   #1
suaveflooder

United States

Default Looking for some input. Playing with getting rid of the M3 (Old car problems)

Just need some thoughts and ideas.

First off, the M3 is phenomenal in every way! The car is a blast to drive, and I've been one of the fortunate ones to find a clean example, so problems have been minimal.

I went to install a 3 spoke steering wheel this morning, and got half way through only to realize that the person who pulled it ripped all the wires out of the slip ring, so I'm going to order a new one today and try again when it comes in.

It got me thinking. I don't want to work on cars. Weird thing to say, but I've been doing this for 16 years. It was a blast and I really had a passion for modifying cars and working on them, so older cars were never an issue.

Things have changed, life has changed and that passion has pretty much died. I just want to wash the car and change the oil, and let a warranty fix the problems.

Now this has very little to do with the steering wheel other than just the realization that I don't want to do this any more. Also, maintenance has all been completed, so the car is 100% drive, wash, and oil as of now.

What I need input on is this: Do I sell the car now while it's all in good order, or wait a bit? It would be a fun, carefree car for someone. I'm just tired of it always being "something" when you try and work on it or modify the car. It really has NOTHING to do with anything else other than it's an 18 year old car, so I don't imagine the "little things" ever really going away….It's always going to be something with an oder car. Brittle plastic, rusted screws/bolts, cracked ripped interior, old technology, etc. These cars have two decades of driving and wear, so used parts aren't always up to par/need fixing. And going to BMW is insane! New slip ring from them was $250+, and on ebay around $50

So, to take the phrase from the other thread….is the E36 M3 for me? It wouldn't be an immediate change, but I have been looking at Lexus and Subaru as a replacement. Just not sure I want an older car anymore….
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Mar-16-2015, 07:23:11 PM   #2
egebhardt

United States

Default Re: Looking for some input. Playing with getting rid of the M3 (Old car problems)

I hear you. I'm not getting any younger and I feel the pain a bit more with each repair. Don't feel bad. Most guys who leave the car/forum aren't vocal enough to tell your story. They just fall off the map.. Course, then there is BigNeil.

Honestly, I'm tired of selling a prime (or near prime) used product to someone half my age. Especially the Techno where I saw it on CList a year later because Ross hit a pole straight on. The posting read, "Excellent condition will tons of records since day one, until I wrecked it."

My point is, either ask top-dollar so you don't regret it or wait until some things fail and let someone else deal with it. You're call!

Oh... I'm a fan of the 4-spoke. Maybe just leave it.

96 Boston on Grey 2dr - Sold 10.28.17 Benny and Suad
98 TiSilver on Black 4dr - Sold 7.19.17 Jono driving it
97 Byzanz on Magma 4dr - Sold 7.7.17 Jerad in CO
98 Estoril on Grey 4dr - Sold 9.23.13 Garrett driving it
98 Arctic on Grey 4dr - Sold 3.18.13 Brandon driving it
98 Estoril on Grey 2dr - Sold 8.6.12 Thy sold it
99 Estoril on Sand 2dr - Sold 7.31.12 Eric modding it
98 Arctic on Grey 2dr - Sold 3.10.12 Kyle driving it
96 Techno on Black 2dr-Sold 6.13.09 Ross totaled it

Last edited by egebhardt; Mon, Mar-16-2015 at 07:43:51 PM.
Jump to top egebhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Mar-16-2015, 07:30:39 PM   #3
pat533i

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Looking for some input. Playing with getting rid of the M3 (Old car problems)

I went through the same thing (never sold my m3 though) I leased a 2013 wrx so I could have a car that I never had to work on. Didn't even make it halfway though the lease before I traded it back to them. It was a nice car and all but it was such a dull/disconected driving experience.

I have yet to find another car that gives me as much driving pleasure as my e36 m3.
Go test drive the car you think you want and see how it feels to you. Could just be me, I get bored pretty easy. Ive never owned another vehicle for more than 18 months besides the m3. Going on 9 years with that now.
Old Mon, Mar-16-2015, 07:58:29 PM   #4
Radmobile

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by egebhardt View Post

Honestly, I'm tired of selling a prime (or near prime) used product to someone half my age.
This...except the half my age comment. I'm sunk in my e36. I will likely never recoup how much I have invested in my M3, let alone what I still need to do. Unless prices go through the roof like the e30 M3, then and only then would I consider selling.

My head races every which way:
  1. S54 swap (because a tiag/dove grey at 144K is not desirable to anyone but me, it seems)
  2. Full, no expense saved S52 ground up build
  3. Supercharge
  4. Sell...and get what? 128i, 135i, 335i (in that order) and then be faced with more technically advanced problems & higher bills.
  5. Sell and get an e34 M5...magnifying my 'old car problems', not to mention the other half thinks that older = not as safe (even though that's not the case in this scenario)
  6. Sell and get a 740iL and 6-speed manual swap (but same era means similar problems + valve cover gaskets every 20K)
  7. Sell and get an e39 M5 (same amount of maintenance but double the cost, not to mention same era)
  8. Sell...and get what? Seriously...what?
  9. Keep doing what I'm doing and be happy with $300-$500 fixes than throw down $15K + e36 sale for a replacement I'm likely not going to be happy with

Then I come to my senses that I absolutely love my car, and ultimately don't mind the stupid ranting at my car's nuances. I'd rather do this than have car payments, be out upfront of more cash, or drive a car that I'm not happy with. In hindsight, the yearly cost of the car is still very cheap relative to the alternatives I've posed.

But you've got to do what feels right to you. Me? I think I wouldn't have it any other way.

Follow Me: Instragram
Follow Me: Flickr
2014 BMW 435i M-sport (alpine white/black)
2014 BMW 228i (alpine white/black/slicktop)
1999 BMW M3 (titanium silver/dove) - Sold
Jump to top Radmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Mar-16-2015, 08:17:14 PM   #5
Sellitsoon

United States

My desire to work on cars dwindled recently but I still get the itch now and then. That's why I lease a new car. I give no thought to repairs or maintenance(all included). It's nice to have a vehicle like that at your disposal. when I get the tinkering bug, I'll do something to one of my toy vehicles. It's also great to work on cars with no schedule and pressure. No big deal if I don't get the work done. I have something else to drive in the meantime. Can you purchase/lease a newer car and keep the M3?
Jump to top Sellitsoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Mar-16-2015, 08:43:28 PM   #6
SickSeries

United States

Suave, are you in a position to keep the car and get something else for DD purposes? That'd be my suggestion and something I'm currently toying with. The E36 is mostly everything I thought it would/should be but sometimes it does wear on me to daily drive a near 20 year old car whether my interior creaks or not. At this point I think most of these cars should be maintained and cared for as weekend warriors, track cars, etc.

Edit: just saw the post above.
Jump to top SickSeries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Mar-16-2015, 08:53:09 PM   #7
suaveflooder

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sellitsoon View Post
My desire to work on cars dwindled recently but I still get the itch now and then. That's why I lease a new car. I give no thought to repairs or maintenance(all included). It's nice to have a vehicle like that at your disposal. when I get the tinkering bug, I'll do something to one of my toy vehicles. It's also great to work on cars with no schedule and pressure. No big deal if I don't get the work done. I have something else to drive in the meantime. Can you purchase/lease a newer car and keep the M3?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickSeries View Post
Suave, are you in a position to keep the car and get something else for DD purposes? That'd be my suggestion and something I'm currently toying with. The E36 is mostly everything I thought it would/should be but sometimes it does wear on me to daily drive a near 20 year old car whether my interior creaks or not. At this point I think most of these cars should be maintained and cared for as weekend warriors, track cars, etc.

Edit: just saw the post above.
Financially, yes. As far as space is concerned, no I have a one car garage (see sig), and street parking around my condo is pretty rough. I've played with that idea too. Just not really realistic to have 3 cars (we have an outback and the M3 at the moment).

The M3 is killer weekend car, and that would be ideal to make it that way instead of a DD.

Lol, just had another old car moment. Couldn't have come at a better time Installed some LED license plate bulbs that were advertised not to throw a code and guess what?

Old Mon, Mar-16-2015, 08:54:12 PM   #8
suaveflooder

United States

Thanks for the input so far, guys!
Old Mon, Mar-16-2015, 09:00:29 PM   #9
RND1

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by suaveflooder View Post
I don't want to work on cars. Weird thing to say, but I've been doing this for 16 years. It was a blast and I really had a passion for modifying cars and working on them, so older cars were never an issue.

Things have changed, life has changed and that passion has pretty much died. I just want to wash the car and change the oil, and let a warranty fix the problems.
I feel the same way sorta. Is your M3 your only car? As a DD, it can get trying. But as a weekend car, it's a blast to own and drive. Repairs are not rushed as you can do it when time and funds permit. That's the only way I would own an M3.

I have a Land Cruiser that I drive most of the time. It's big, slow, comfy, and I love it. Exact opposite of the M3. The variety is what keeps me interested. My M3 has been in storage all winter so I'm excited to be getting it back in a few weeks. I'm getting excited like it's a new car all over again.

The Lexus or Subie will keep you entertained until the newness wears off and then it will become an appliance. You'll forget the pain of working on your M3 in due time and you'll soon be searching for something old and german once again.
Jump to top RND1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Mar-16-2015, 09:00:57 PM   #10
Voss
Function over Form

In the garage:

United States

Sometimes you just gotta cut loose and move on to bigger and better things. Especially if you lost the passion for the car.

Pass it along to someone who has that passion (a fellow member or another enthusiast). There's no sense in keeping something you no longer appreciate.

All the "dont do it" advice can't argue the fact that these cars are maintenance hungry. And if you don't want to deal with working on the car or paying someone to, best to move onto something else. The M4s are nice and easy.

Just don't complain if you can't find anything with the same driving experience. Good luck.