BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Tue, Apr-28-2015, 03:42:44 AM   #11
jayjaya29
Photographer

United States

Default Re: Brake Line Connection Options When Flare Nut Wrench Fails?

ATF Acetone doesn't work very well in my experience. Makes one hell of a mess. PB blaster is alright. But Kano's AeroKroil is the bomb. I won't use anything else, it simply works.
Jump to top jayjaya29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Apr-28-2015, 08:12:04 PM   #12
RND1

In the garage:

United States

You're on the right track. MAPP gas and try the flare wrench again if you can grab a couple of sides - otherwise vice grips.
Jump to top RND1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Apr-28-2015, 11:29:07 PM   #13
nrubenstein

Vise grips and then replace the line. Buy the copper alloy lines - they are really easy to bend into shape.
1999 323i KP/GTS2 Alpinweiß - Hood-in-the-windshield mod
1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black - S50B32/S6S420G, Diffsonline 3.91, H&R/Bilstein, Hotchkis, AS SSK, etc...
1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan - GC/Bilstein, Sway
1989 325is Alpinweiß/Black - Decontenting...
1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black - S62B50 in progress...

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black - UMW LTW Flywheel, Bilstein
Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamondschwartz/Black 5spd - Korman lengthened front driveshaft, 272 cam, H&R/Bilstein

Jump to top nrubenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-29-2015, 02:09:51 AM   #14
Richardsperry
95 SC M3

United States

Interesting, Rob Siegle (hack mechanic in the Roundel) was just talking about this very thing.
Old Fri, May-01-2015, 01:40:42 AM   #15
K.Dickie

In the garage:

Canada

OK, with one down and one to go. I don't think I beat up the fitting too bad. I used propane torch & Seafoam Deep Creep, after a week of soaking with PB Blaster & Acetone/ATF. I'm hoping to coax the rear off tomorrow, then get started on putting the SS lines on.

Though the car will likely be a 'Summer Only' car now, what can I put on the fitting, if anything to prevent this type of issue in the future? Or on other vehicles to avoid corroded fittings without contaminating the brake system?

What about using the Silicone Caliper Assembly grease on the top threads of the fitting?
Jump to top K.Dickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, May-01-2015, 01:47:52 AM   #16
K.Dickie

In the garage:

Canada

I was planning to clean the fitting threads with Brake Cleaner/wire brush before re-installing. It appears that the rust & corrosion is only on the top 2-3 threads. Any problems with this or other recommendations?
Old Fri, May-01-2015, 02:50:49 AM   #17
jayjaya29
Photographer

United States

You could put a dab of antiseize on the threads but to be honest how often are you going to be removing brake lines?
Jump to top jayjaya29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, May-01-2015, 03:27:57 AM   #18
Jrrrrrrr
Unregistered User

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Dickie View Post
I was planning to clean the fitting threads with Brake Cleaner/wire brush before re-installing. It appears that the rust & corrosion is only on the top 2-3 threads. Any problems with this or other recommendations?
Put on new M10x1 shouldered fittings if you're fabricating and flaring new hard lines, don't reuse the old ones because new fittings are less than $1/each and you won't have to worry about corrosion for years. Maybe you can find stainless steel fittings, but I've only ever found zinc-chromate galvanized ones and that's plenty good for years of corrosion resistance even in cold hell holes like Canada. You really shouldn't need to worry about needing to separate these fittings ever again if you do the job right and possibly replace all the rubber lines on the opposite end.

If you're replacing the lines with store-bought parts, this is a moot point, because they should have new fittings on them.

This might also be an obvious question, but were you using an 11mm flare wrench from a quality tool maker, and not a 7/16? Was there heavy corrosion on the hexagonal portion of the fitting such that an 11mm wrench would no longer grip on solid steel? You can't blame this kind of old-fashioned fastener tech because its simple and it works, but all bets are off when it comes to POs doing lots of miles over salted roads and neglecting to wash the underside of the car.
Jump to top Jrrrrrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, May-01-2015, 04:50:06 AM   #19
K.Dickie

In the garage:

Canada

I don't think I need to replace the hard lines. The fittings are a little beat-up, but even with the Vice-Grips I was careful not to just go crazy. I bought a set of metric flare nut wrenches to make sure I could do this job. They aren't super expensive, but it was an 11mm flare. I cleaned the fittings, which had some Krown & dust on them, but they didn't have major rust corrosion compared to other suspension bolts, so I didn't anticipate a problem. I guess the biggest mistake was believing that WD-40 applied over time would provide the penetrating solution to the problem.

The car is 17 years old this month (May/98 production date), but it had only been driven winters about 7 of those years and I drove it 5 in which is was Krown Rust Preventative treated 4 and washed regularly (every other week or better during the winter). I sound a little defensive, but it's really just frustrated, because so many of the other things I thought would be a problem haven't been as bad.

Anyways, if I put the new stainless lines on, what would the expected life expectancy be for a summer only vehicle driven 15k per year? I have read that the stainless lines don't last forever.
Old Fri, May-01-2015, 02:47:46 PM   #20
K.Dickie

In the garage:

Canada

Thanks for all the help. The driver's rear came loose last night. A number of cycles of heat, tapping, soaking with Deep Creep and working the connection. I think the issue was compounded by the limited amount of space available to get the wrench on the fitting and turn it.

Originally I was expecting to re-use the small hard line sections mounted to the rear suspension, but I've ordered new pieces.