BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Sun, Apr-19-2015, 01:14:15 PM   #1
BMWhat?

United States

Default Wisdom on suspension Nut and Bolt replacement?

What is the hive mind wisdom here on hardware (nuts and bolts) replacement for a suspension overhaul?

The Bentley is obviously peppered with "always use new self-locking hardware", other than (at least that I noticed) the steering arm to front strut bolts which state to use new hardware or Loctite 270. I've also seen other maintenance specs (non-BMW, non Bentley) that call for a certain running torque on reused self-locking fasteners for them to be considered acceptable.

Just want to get an idea of what people are doing and what they have had success or failure with. Are there areas that fall in the "definately replace regardless of condition" category and others that can be reused? Are you all using blue or red loctite for specific fasteners (in addition to the steering arm bolts mentioned above)?

I've got my suspension currently fully dissembled and about to place a large order from Tischer. If it was a track car or if the current hardware was damaged or worn (corrosion, rounded, free-spinning, bent, etc) I could see replacing everything, but I've got to think that much of my seemingly good condition hardware could be reused.

I have searched and read pages and pages of overhaul threads and have not found this discussed much. Seems like most people either replace everything or don't mention hardware at all.

Minutia I know. Thanks for humoring me.
Jump to top BMWhat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Apr-19-2015, 01:52:21 PM   #2
egebhardt

United States

Default Re: Wisdom on suspension Nut and Bolt replacement?

If you could be more specific, that would help.

This is a sample of my work and I'm not going to claim any exceptional wisdom here. Also, I've never had a car with any rust. Being in California, it is possible. I've never had any post-work failures either.

6 Front Strut Lower Bolts/Nuts - I've always re-used them. I did not add to the red loc-tite that was on there.
6 Upper strut mount 13mm nuts - I've always re-used them. I did not add loc-tite. This is an ovalized lock-nut.
2 Lower Rear shock mount bolts - I've always re-used them. I did not add loc-tite.
4 Upper rear shock mount nuts - I've always re-used them. I did not add loc-tite.

96 Boston on Grey 2dr - Sold 10.28.17 Benny and Suad
98 TiSilver on Black 4dr - Sold 7.19.17 Jono driving it
97 Byzanz on Magma 4dr - Sold 7.7.17 Jerad in CO
98 Estoril on Grey 4dr - Sold 9.23.13 Garrett driving it
98 Arctic on Grey 4dr - Sold 3.18.13 Brandon driving it
98 Estoril on Grey 2dr - Sold 8.6.12 Thy sold it
99 Estoril on Sand 2dr - Sold 7.31.12 Eric modding it
98 Arctic on Grey 2dr - Sold 3.10.12 Kyle driving it
96 Techno on Black 2dr-Sold 6.13.09 Ross totaled it

Last edited by egebhardt; Sun, Apr-19-2015 at 01:57:12 PM.
Jump to top egebhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Apr-19-2015, 02:31:07 PM   #3
Jrrrrrrr
Unregistered User

In the garage:

United States

Replace the TTY strut bolts - 10.9 non-TTY bolts from the hardware store are fine. Consider adding some 1.2-2.0mm thick shims here if you want to increase front camber. Replace the nylon washers for the front-control arm balljoints, but a new control arm kit or new balljoints will have new nylon washers.

I use blue loctite on brake-related hardware. I don't use loctite on any other suspension hardware unless there's a good reason to.

I didn't stake the rear axle nuts, but I check them whenever I have the rear wheels off. They haven't budged in 3 years of driving.

It's definitely personal preference on replacing other nuts, bolts, and washers. Generally, I prefer cleaning/degreasing/painting hardware rather than replacement. A brass-bristle brush is pretty safe for scrubbing galvanized hardware, and a 12-24 hour soak in dilute simple green works wonders for cleaning greasy ones. The exception are nuts and bolts whose threaded portions are so rusty that chasing with a tap or did doesn't help.
Jump to top Jrrrrrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Apr-20-2015, 12:53:21 AM   #4
BMWhat?

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by egebhardt View Post
If you could be more specific, that would help.
Interested in everything mentioned plus drive shaft hardware (guibo bolts, nuts on differential input, screws and keepers on output flanges to half-shafts), and front and rear subframe hardware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrrrrrrr View Post
Replace the TTY strut bolts
Do you know what else is Torque-To-Yield if anything on the suspension, drive train, and subframes? Is there a listing somewhere or a rule-of-thumb based on torque spec and fastener size?
Old Mon, Apr-20-2015, 01:50:17 AM   #5
pbonsalb

I reuse most bolts, even the lower strut mount bolts. If my car was a track car, I would be more concerned.
Jump to top pbonsalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Apr-20-2015, 01:49:18 PM   #6
Richardsperry
95 SC M3

United States

The lower strut mount bolts are not torque to yield. Clean them up, (bolt and hole), with a thread chaser and use blue Loctite. (74lb-ft is not near yield point.)

Same with the lower rear shock bolts. (54lb-ft)

The top strut nuts really don't do anything but keep the strut from falling out.

They say use new bolts, but that's because they come from the factory with thread locker on them.
Old Mon, Apr-20-2015, 07:49:57 PM   #7
falciott

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWhat? View Post
Interested in everything mentioned plus drive shaft hardware (guibo bolts, nuts on differential input, screws and keepers on output flanges to half-shafts), and front and rear subframe hardware.
I just purchased all these components, planning to work on them within the next couple of weeks, and I ended up buying all the related nuts and bolts. My reasoning is that, since usually they only add a couple of more bucks to the order...might as well have new hardware....plus I like the look of shiny new hardware , makes me feel like it's not a half assed job....OCD is a terrible thing!
Clear lights, Corsa RSC36, DJ Auto with TFX retrofit, Blind spot monitoring system, Illuminated ZHP knob,Brushed aluminum look console and bits,Flat bottom MTechnic steering wheel, Becker Grand Prix with bluetooth, Motion sensor HD dash cam, BMW Homelink, Keyless entry, RE short shifter,CSL reps, Mason strutbar,Reverse sensors, Automatic rain sensing wipers, everything else? Stock!
Jump to top falciott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-22-2015, 02:12:45 AM   #8
Jrrrrrrr
Unregistered User

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardsperry View Post
The lower strut mount bolts are not torque to yield. Clean them up, (bolt and hole), with a thread chaser and use blue Loctite. (74lb-ft is not near yield point.)
You're right, I wasn't posting well at that time and I know full well what a TTY bolt is, and these are not one of them.
Jump to top Jrrrrrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-22-2015, 03:30:38 AM   #9
BMWhat?

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by falciott View Post
plus I like the look of shiny new hardware , makes me feel like it's not a half assed job....OCD is a terrible thing!
This is the impression I got from looking at other rebuild threads, but after reading the bentley over and over again I had this nagging feeling.

Thanks for the replies. I'm cleaning and reusing most of my hardware and replacing anything that looks questionable.
Old Wed, Apr-22-2015, 04:02:37 PM   #10
pbonsalb

Just get a grinding wheel machine and put a wire wheel on one side. Then you can clean up your old hardware.
Jump to top pbonsalb is offline   Reply With Quote