BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Mon, Mar-02-2015, 01:35:47 AM   #11
mikeh914

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Order of a suspension overhaul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobiedoo2029 View Post
craigslist or forums. bimmerforums full parts cars section is a great resource, i would place new bushings over mods, rubber breaks down from age as well as use, at 130k miles my suspension was trashed, not broken and clunky but heavily worn, and dont think coil overs are better because there named coil overs, a threaded spring perch isnt a gift from god, its just one more adjustment you can screw up. im running the turner bars, there about the biggest bars on the market i think, and if i where to do it again i think id go with a smaller diameter set, the incite of others has made me think that there may be more grip with a smaller bar at lower spring rates. i only picked up these bars because i paid almost nothing for them.
Thanks for all the input and help. I've read up about the turner bar and heard the size was a little much. The same as the hotchkis bar.

As far as where to start, it looks like bushing will be the place to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OahuMPower View Post
you cant source everything from one place. The refresh kits are nice and convenient, but dont include everything, and really not cost effective.

Time to do some research and look up all the suspension overhauls on the forum.
I figured the refresh kits might be to simple to fix every problem in one shot. I've search a few of the refreshes on here as well. One car is actually from pretty near me. I may try to get in touch with the owner.
Jump to top mikeh914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Mar-02-2015, 03:25:11 AM   #12
Jrrrrrrr
Unregistered User

In the garage:

United States

If you have a 12-20-ton press in your garage, you can completely overhaul the front and rear ends yourself. You won't need to source any press work out. I admit when I did my front and rear suspension overhaul, it took me about a month and a half to get the whole thing done. My car was on jackstands that entire time, but I had something else to drive instead. The reason it took so long is because I could only budget maybe 2-3 hour blocks of time twice a week. I imagine I only spent around 50 working hours getting everything done and several hours of that time was spent at the hardware store looking for replacement fasteners and pipe fittings to use as adapters in my press.

You'll need a variety of adapters for the press in order to replace all of the bushings, balljoints, and bearings in the front and rear ends. You will need to make trips to the hardware store to get these adapters if it's your first time doing this much intensive press work. You'll also need a good assortment of hand tools beyond your basic Craftsman socket and wrench set, such as e-torx sockets, allen sockets, good circlip pliers, pickle tools, hammers, mallets, and the like.

The principles and techniques behind overhauling this car's suspension aren't much different than any other car. Though these cars have a few quirks and hangups when it comes to overhauling the suspension, the existing DIY threads out there are an effective guide for each individual job. Like it's already been said - if you have the tools and you have experience doing suspension work, you can get it done in about 48 man hours. If you have the tools and experience doing a suspension overhaul on an e36, you can do it in 24 man hours.

Last edited by Jrrrrrrr; Mon, Mar-02-2015 at 03:28:34 AM.
Jump to top Jrrrrrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Mar-02-2015, 05:45:32 AM   #13
pat533i

In the garage:

United States

My car is up on jackstands right now for a rear end overhaul. This is more of a winter project than a weekend Diy, if you want to do it right. Like others said, lots of trips to the hardware store. Plus you never know what will break trying to remove it. Lots of the little parts are special order from the distributors and take a week just to ship out. Just doing the rtabs is one thing but don't expect to press any of the other bushing/ball joints without dropping the subframe.
Old Tue, Mar-03-2015, 01:49:27 AM   #14
OahuMPower
:FACEPALM:

United States

as someone who has a press and all the right tools.. it can definitely be done in a weekend starting Friday night, and done by Sunday night..

need a press/press tools/welder and you could do it in a weekend
Old Tue, Mar-03-2015, 04:32:58 PM   #15
craac

United States

I would overhaul what needs the most attention first. For me it was shocks.

I just did a pretty comprehensive suspension overhaul (tck s/a, tck camber plates , derlin offset fcab, gc front sway, turner monoball rtab, rear camber arms, reinforcements) without doing the rear sub-frame. The difference was night and day, its like a different car. I bought the car with 62k on it a few months ago, but everything was original and the suspension was tired most noticeably the front shocks were blown.

Subframe will probably need attention sometime in the next couple of years but it didn't require immediate attention. Its also a pretty big ($$) job considering I am not equipped for the job. I feel sure that when I do decide to the the rear sub-frame it will be another night and day difference, and I look forward to that. For now I am enjoying all of my suspension upgrades on the track
Jump to top craac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-06-2015, 11:47:03 PM   #16
mikeh914

In the garage:

United States

Pretty certain I know the answer to this but is the rear subframe the same for coupes and sedans? as well as an M car and standard 3 series?
Jump to top mikeh914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Mar-07-2015, 02:29:30 AM   #17
scoobiedoo2029

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeh914 View Post
Pretty certain I know the answer to this but is the rear subframe the same for coupes and sedans? as well as an M car and standard 3 series?
M and non m subframes are diffrent, coupe/sedan are the same.
Old Sat, Mar-07-2015, 03:04:07 AM   #18
EricSMG
40 something

United States

One weekend? Not happening. If it takes Cal all weekend you can't possibly do it. You need so many tools and special arbors, etc,..... not too mention experience with this exact job to get it done in that amount of time. I've been to Cal's San Diego house and his garage looked like a full blown repair shop from a tool perspective.

I just did this very job on my E46 M3 and it was extensive. I ran into many delays, hardware store trips, head scratching, etc. I even bought the BMW specific bushing tools and wheel bearing tools and it was still a massive job.

You've really got to plan this out and have ALL tools and ALL parts ready and sorted and you might be able to get it done in two weekends. Now that I've done it and no the pitfalls and have all the tools and could probably do it in a single weekend, but I wouldn't bet money on it.

You should just rent a car for $15/day.

------------------------------------------------------
Edit - I just actually read your post (I was assuming a full blown refresh). If we're just talking Rtabs, sways and coilovers then you can easily do this in a weekend. I can do coilvoers in 2 hours flat without rushing but I've done this about 30 times. Might take you double that. Rtabs are a ***** without the right tool(s) so bring patience. Also know that you will absolutely need an alignment after Rtabs as soon as possible.

'04 SG/Black 6MT || '04 JB/IR SMG

Last edited by EricSMG; Sat, Mar-07-2015 at 03:10:47 AM.
Jump to top EricSMG is offline   Reply With Quote