BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Sun, Jul-08-2012, 07:07:30 AM   #71
egebhardt

United States

Default Re: Nappa Leather - OEM Process, Restoration, Color Change Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgy View Post
Subscribing, and thanks Braymond for all the research.

Has anyone worked successfully with Furniture Clinic to color match? Their BMW page has what sounds like non-BMW color descriptions, and no Nappa section: http://furnitureclinic.co.uk/BMW_Lea...lour_Chart.php

I'm trying to find a way to bring my Dove/Light Grey Nappa N5TT driver seat back to prime condition. It's not terrible, but there is some wear after 13 years.
If there was a way to bring it to prime condition, that option would have been presented by now. Honestly, I don't know what you mean by "prime", so I'm guessing here.
What I do know is, you can't match factory original. Even during production, the colors changed. I've used several back-seat sets as donor leather. It becomes obvious.

The first thing you want to do is to swap the driver's cushions with the passenger's cushions. That puts the worn bolsters in the middle. The best solution, in the short-term, is to get the seats looking even. After the swap, the nicer passenger seat is now in the driver's position and it will slowly begin to look more like the worn seat.
Factory BMW leather does not exist anymore.
Factory BMW foam is very hard to find, even in Germany. You will never match the original shape.

96 Boston on Grey 2dr - Sold 10.28.17 Benny and Suad
98 TiSilver on Black 4dr - Sold 7.19.17 Jono driving it
97 Byzanz on Magma 4dr - Sold 7.7.17 Jerad in CO
98 Estoril on Grey 4dr - Sold 9.23.13 Garrett driving it
98 Arctic on Grey 4dr - Sold 3.18.13 Brandon driving it
98 Estoril on Grey 2dr - Sold 8.6.12 Thy sold it
99 Estoril on Sand 2dr - Sold 7.31.12 Eric modding it
98 Arctic on Grey 2dr - Sold 3.10.12 Kyle driving it
96 Techno on Black 2dr-Sold 6.13.09 Ross totaled it

Last edited by egebhardt; Mon, Jul-09-2012 at 07:59:47 PM.
Jump to top egebhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Jul-08-2012, 10:04:54 PM   #72
Edgy
Constantly Learning M3 and M5 Owner

United States

Thanks for reply, though it's not encouraging. By prime I mean looking as good as the very lightly worn pass seat.

I've got a recommendation for a local restoration pro. Will see what he suggests. All this info is very useful, in case he promises too much.

Quote:
What I do know is, you can't match factory original. Even during production, the colors changed.
Curious -- are you saying that Furniture Clinic can't really match all the BMW colors they claim to? Or that is why they list no Nappa interiors?
Jump to top Edgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jul-09-2012, 06:51:16 PM   #73
egebhardt

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgy View Post
Curious -- are you saying that Furniture Clinic can't really match all the BMW colors they claim to? Or that is why they list no Nappa interiors?
I can imagine the F.Clinic matches the colors well, but there is nothing like taking fresh sheep hide (Nappa) and dipping it from the start. Just like painting metal from the factory. Also, BMW Montana leather is cow hide.

I'm schooled by my wife, who is a Photoshop expert and watercolor paint artist. She can spot the wrong color on anything. The other dynamic, other than color, is texture. That's why I like AutoBerry. The texture/color combo is very hard to beat.

So, I can recommend replacement leather on both seat so it looks uniform. Otherwise, wipe the existing seats with soap and water and a dry cloth. I've even tried car wax. It gives it good protection and cleans well. I like Zymol and Lexol and use those a bit. Lastly, save your money and avoid the more expensive leather treatments. They approach leather replacement costs and don't look much better for long.

96 Boston on Grey 2dr - Sold 10.28.17 Benny and Suad
98 TiSilver on Black 4dr - Sold 7.19.17 Jono driving it
97 Byzanz on Magma 4dr - Sold 7.7.17 Jerad in CO
98 Estoril on Grey 4dr - Sold 9.23.13 Garrett driving it
98 Arctic on Grey 4dr - Sold 3.18.13 Brandon driving it
98 Estoril on Grey 2dr - Sold 8.6.12 Thy sold it
99 Estoril on Sand 2dr - Sold 7.31.12 Eric modding it
98 Arctic on Grey 2dr - Sold 3.10.12 Kyle driving it
96 Techno on Black 2dr-Sold 6.13.09 Ross totaled it

Last edited by egebhardt; Mon, Jul-09-2012 at 08:04:02 PM.
Old Thu, Jul-19-2012, 08:11:21 PM   #74
Edgy
Constantly Learning M3 and M5 Owner

United States

Quote:
I've got a recommendation for a local restoration pro. Will see what he suggests.
He quoted me $250 for a redye of the front seat with total color match, it will look perfect for at least two years. This guy was recommended by my garage, he has done lots of restoration work for them.

If you were me, what questions would you ask him?
Jump to top Edgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jul-21-2012, 05:32:38 AM   #75
egebhardt

United States

Interesting.
First, I've never had that option presented to me, mainly because I've had tears and holes to deal with. I can imagine he would do a good job and it would probably last more than 2 years, knowing you.

I'd ask him if I should bring him the entire seat or just the leather covers.
I'm partial to removing the covers (cutting the hog rings) and putting new ones on myself. I've seen other's work and they like the leave the ring trimmings in the seat and then re-clip multiples when 1 would do. I'm not saying he's that way, but it's fun work anyway. It gives you a chance to straighten the spring-steel wires too. I like to put in a thin layer of white polyester fabric to give the foam a bit more protection.
Old Sat, Oct-20-2012, 02:33:03 AM   #76
TechieTechie

United States

subscribed
Jump to top TechieTechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Oct-20-2012, 04:20:08 AM   #77
TC2
BF.c Class of 2012

In the garage:

United States

Braymond141, did you ever get color matched dye from the LSB armrest you sent to Furniture Clinic?
If so, how was the match?
I've tried contacting them with no reply regarding their Cinnamon dye.

Thanks.
Jump to top TC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Apr-28-2013, 05:55:54 PM   #78
PRF3CT

United States

Going to use this and try to dye some seats cinnamon.
Jump to top PRF3CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jan-03-2015, 02:37:21 AM   #79
zhp43867

United States

Bump for this. I've used LeatherWorldTech dye as they have (seemingly) a good system with a top coat. I have consistently noticed that the redyed seats seem to attract dirt faster than they did originally. Additionally, the durability is not nearly as good as factory dye. My suspicion is that it has more to do with trying to recover old leather with a non factory process than the company I'm using. Can anyone who's used Furniture Clinic top coat speak to its long term (~1 year/20k miles +) durability?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tock172
Yeah, we get it. Everyone has the inalienable right to be a total ****ing idiot.
Jump to top zhp43867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jan-03-2015, 02:56:40 AM   #80
Jrrrrrrr
Unregistered User

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
Bump for this. I've used LeatherWorldTech dye as they have (seemingly) a good system with a top coat. I have consistently noticed that the redyed seats seem to attract dirt faster than they did originally. Additionally, the durability is not nearly as good as factory dye. My suspicion is that it has more to do with trying to recover old leather with a non factory process than the company I'm using. Can anyone who's used Furniture Clinic top coat speak to its long term (~1 year/20k miles +) durability?
You already have the answer: the durability of the new recolored leather finish has everything to do with spray technique, and to a lesser extent, top coat.

Preparation is essential, because pigment goes on thin and will not hide imperfections. For instance, imagine the filling ability of leather pigment to be 2x worse than spray-can primer if you have any autobody experience. Because of this you need to use a leather filler on any spots of the weather worn down to bare, because the base napa leather is coated in a urethane coating that serves as the substrate for pigment. You're going to have poor color adherence if you try to apply pigment to bare leather spots, IME, any it will look like shit with obvious low spots and cracks in the surface.

I also have experience with LWT's topcoat, as well as furniture clinic's. LWT's topcoat is more of a long-wearing conditioner rather than an impermeable clear coat like furniture clinic's topcoat, so I would definitely choose the furniture clinic topcoat instead. IME, the LWT topcoat will start showing pigment loss after around 12 months and times of sweat exposure - which is to say you will see spotty loss of color. The furniture clinic product doesn't have this problem in the same timeframe and I'd imagine it will continue to look great for years to come.

Last edited by Jrrrrrrr; Sat, Jan-03-2015 at 03:00:33 AM.
Jump to top Jrrrrrrr is offline   Reply With Quote