BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > Forced Induction (F/I)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Forced Induction (F/I) Discuss the ever growing F/I options here!

Old Sun, Feb-22-2015, 04:20:38 PM   #1
mike radowski
boostretard

United States

Default Maximum PSI turbo kit/E46 M3 winter update

Hi Guys,

THE GOOD:

It's been a while since I have posted anything here but we have been busy cranking out turbo BMW's. We have over 35 kits out there, and we are currently assembling and finalizing two Stage 4 cars at the shop, along with our first S54 Z3 kit. A stage 3 car is down at Technique Tuning in Florida for calibration development with larger ID1000 injectors. We ran an 8 second 1/4 mile with my E36 M3 at the end of last year, and I sold the car to a customer that will continue to push it further. This will allow us to focus on pushing the E46 development further rather than getting distracted between the two cars. It was a long, rewarding road with the e36. First in the 9's, first in the 8's! Sad to see her go, but it was a necessary progression.

8 second compilation video, 1/2 mile roll race and other media:https://maximumpsi.com/videos/

If you follow us on Facebook or Instagram, some of you have already seen the transformation of my E46 M3. Last year we installed a bimmerdiffs upgraded differential, along with all new poly bushings all around. We also performed the subframe reinforcement before buttoning it up. The car currently has the entire interior removed to begin the NHRA roll cage fabrication (complete with parachute and window net). The car is also getting a driveshaft loop and battery cutoff per the rulebook. While the cage is doing in, I am also installing a carbon trunk, carbon diffuser, and carbon roof. We also fabricated a larger 3.5" single exhaust (that can be used with any of our different kit levels, and it has options for a single exit using a carbon diffuser, or quad exit using an oem style diffuser).

We suffered numerous 6 speed transmission failures with the e36 running an e46 M3 getrag box. They don't stand a chance when the car makes almost 900 ft/lbs of torque!

I have a 6 speed dog box getting built by Samsonas Motorsport for my car. It uses an OEM ZF E36 transmission case with all new gears and internals, along with a CNC'd spacer to make the case the correct length for the additional gears.I also have a new twin disc clutch from Comp Clutch to try out in the car. We will have feedback shortly. I have had it for a while, however I am waiting for the new transmission to arrive so I can install it at the same time. I also have a Tilton carbon triple disc clutch for when things get serious and the built motor goes in later on this year.

We are going to keep the stock motor in the car and race it as-is with our current Stage 2 hardware, however it will be using our flex fuel system(Yes, we are still working on it!) running E85. My car has over 30k miles with our kit, and I have no issue driving it anywhere. We drove the car ~1400 miles to PRI and back this year and I have been to florida a few times with it. We also thrashed on it when we went to Bimmerfest, Willow springs track day, and MFEST. Still running strong!

At the same time, we are also assembling a built motor for my car, so that once the flex fuel development is completed, we can swap in the built motor and Stage 4 components. Exciting times for sure!!!

THE NOT-SO-GOOD:

There have been some bumps in the road with our kits, but nothing that hasn't been remedied. We had a few of our first intake plenums split at one of the welded seams. The first four cars were the only ones to have that issue, and they have all been repaired by now.

The major issue that we are still dealing with is cracking of the earlier tubular headers. We have always tried to do as much of the fabrication for our kits in-house, however the tubular headers take so much time to fabricate that we have other people fabricate them for us. There have been multiple failures with the first batch of tubular headers. The failures are caused by incomplete weld penetration. Over time some of the cars have had multiple cracks develop at various locations. We tried repairing the first few manifolds, however the time needed to strip the coating, blast the inside and outside clean, grind the cracked sections, and re-weld the entire header is too labor intensive. I will say that any of the later kits with non-ceramic coated headers do not need to worry about the issue since they were welded by another shop. Unfortunately we do not have the resources to replace all of the headers, so we came up with another plan.

We have used cast headers from SPA turbo on numerous E36's over the years. With multiple tubular header failures, I decided to work with SPA turbo to duplicate our tubular headers into an identical cast manifold. After shipping them our tubular manifold, we soon had a sample that I ended up installing on my own car. The flow path and flange location is identical, however we were able to make more clearance for the rear cam sensor and A/C line. We also increased the inside diameter of the runners to account for some flow disturbances caused by the bolt hole recesses. I have the second revision on my car now, and I can say that the manifold performs as good or better than the previous tubular manifolds. We should be receiving our first batch of manifolds any day now, and the current round of kits are now shipping with them.

To anyone with a previous tubular manifold that has developed a crack: We will be selling the cast headers at a discount to help offset replacement cost. We apologize for the inconvenience, however it is not possible for us to cover the replacement expenses. If you have had the kit less than one year then the replacement header will be covered under warranty. Please email me at sales@maximumpsi.com and we can go over the details.

THE GOOD(again):

We raised the Stage 1 kit price! How is that good? We actually lowered the kit price to account for the cost difference of the cast header. We are now including an eBoost 2 EBC and AEM wideband, and gauge pod($850 in components) since we use them in every kit besides the first few cars that we did.

That's all for now. 2015 should be a good year for turbo E46's!

-Mike and the Maximum PSI crew
maximumpsi.com
facebook.com/maximumpsi

Last edited by mike radowski; Sun, Feb-22-2015 at 04:27:21 PM.
Jump to top mike radowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Feb-22-2015, 08:36:56 PM   #2
Being3

In the garage:

Canada

Default Re: Maximum PSI turbo kit/E46 M3 winter update

Ur update is impressive. I really have a lot of respect for being upfront and candid about ur kit. I'm looking forward to see how ur stage 3 and 4 cars preform. I suspect ur shop car is going to lay down serious times even with the stock motor.
Jump to top Being3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Feb-23-2015, 03:55:17 AM   #3
nek0

United States

nice looking forward to you breaking some records and parts! we know you have the resources for it !

Instgram - @Kantopthis

My Turbo M3 Journal
Jump to top nek0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Feb-24-2015, 02:01:18 PM   #4
Ramp1

In the garage:

Canada

Great update. I am glad the new kits come with the cast manifold and other goodies. I've been on the fence fora long time on CSL box and cams or just making the jump to FI and seeing such a nice turbo kit really makes the argument in favor of FI.
Old Wed, Feb-25-2015, 03:30:52 PM   #5
playskool1
NorCal's S54 S65 S85 Rod Bearing spc.

In the garage:

Philippines

I've been waiting to hear more updates for the full E85 stage 2 kit! I'm happy to see that your full focus is now purely on the E46 S54 platform!
Full Beisan VANOS overhaul, TMS Subframe Reinforcement, WPC rod bearings = bulletproof
fully built S54 w/ Precision 6870 coming soon!
Jump to top playskool1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Feb-25-2015, 08:09:35 PM   #6
BrianSpilner
Exhaust Driven > Belt Driven

Greece

Very excited! Let me know the moment the E85 upgrade is available!!!
Old Wed, Feb-25-2015, 08:32:32 PM   #7
fattycharged
can't even

In the garage:

Zimbabwe

Transparency is what is up! Congrats and wishing you continued success. Maybe I'll have to ditch this blower and step it up in 2015
Jump to top fattycharged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-17-2015, 06:17:21 AM   #8
red-m3

Bahrain

👍 great news, i guess i have to start saving for your kit 😊
Jump to top red-m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Mar-26-2015, 09:19:34 PM   #9
KashM3
E30 M3 *S54 powered chariot*

United States

BUMP for you, Mike. Always candid about MaxPSI's approach to deal with customers AND potential customers to ensure satisfaction.

Wish you the best in 2015....you better be at MPACT to show those boys what's up on the 1600' roll-race event at Poconos in July.

-Kash

'88 E30 M3 Garage Queen S54 chariot tuned by Randy@EPIC Motorsports
Bimmerworld
ROHAN S54E30
A.J Autocraft L.I
Dan Vanos NYC & Beisans Systems (Raj)

AW/Blk E46 M3 03.5 6MT- SOLD
Montego Blue 335i N54- SOLD
AW/Dove and Avus E36's-SOLD
AW E60 550i N62- 170k and climbing

Active WTB: .1 or .2 GT3 in CW or Guards
Jump to top KashM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Apr-21-2015, 02:08:07 PM   #10
mike radowski
boostretard

United States

Thanks! Yes, We will be a sponsor at MPACT again. Jaycent put together an amazing event last year, and this year should be even better!
maximumpsi.com
facebook.com/maximumpsi
Jump to top mike radowski is offline   Reply With Quote