BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > Misc > Off Topic
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Off Topic Place to discuss this and that. Note: We also have "request to join" forums: Guns and Fitness.
(Threads/posts inside may contain material that is NSFW / offensive)

Old Mon, May-20-2019, 08:01:18 PM   #51
Frank Ricard
You're my boy, Blue!

United States

Default Re: Shopping for a new mattress, anyone have a latex or visco memory foam bed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakshas View Post
Anyone have any recommendations in the sub 1500 space? My budget level sealy is wrecking my back after 6 years and I need something new. Was initially going to get the Tuft and Needle Mint and call it a day but after trying it out in the store, it's ok but doesn't necessarily wow me. Hard to tell in the awkward showroom setting.

Currently considering:
Tuft and Needle Mint - Standard multilayer petroleum foam setup
Casper Original - Same
Awara - Dunlop latex spring hybrid that sounds promising

****ing impossible comparing these things as well. There's a million microbrands that have popped up and a million more gimmicky sounding review sites touting different ones as the second coming. Starting to understand why my dad was such a consumer reports fan growing up.

First step is going and trying out some beds to see what you like best in terms of construction.

Latex won for me, not even a close second. Then you can start to look at where you want to fall in regards to price range.

The cool thing about today is that you can get a decent bed for almost any amount of money.

In *my personal* opinion if you are gonna spend 1500 on a latex bed, you should be getting a full latex bed. A latex + innerspring bed should be cheaper. Natural latex is more expensive to source than inner springs. (Re: Awara). Again... *my opinion*.

Last edited by Frank Ricard; Mon, May-20-2019 at 08:04:57 PM.
Jump to top Frank Ricard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, May-21-2019, 03:49:03 PM   #52
racingbmwm3
Illegal domestic alien

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Shopping for a new mattress, anyone have a latex or visco memory foam bed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Ricard View Post
First step is going and trying out some beds to see what you like best in terms of construction.

Latex won for me, not even a close second. Then you can start to look at where you want to fall in regards to price range.

The cool thing about today is that you can get a decent bed for almost any amount of money.

In *my personal* opinion if you are gonna spend 1500 on a latex bed, you should be getting a full latex bed. A latex + innerspring bed should be cheaper. Natural latex is more expensive to source than inner springs. (Re: Awara). Again... *my opinion*.
Note, dunlop latex is the longest lasting (I know people that have been using this style for 30 years with no noticeable wear/tear or change in comfort) but also the stiffest. Talalay is the softest latex, similar to memory foam but you don't sink into it and it doesn't make you hot, but it will develop impressions after a few years and lose it's squishiness after that. Most of these beds like Purple, TuftnNeedle, Casper, are using a blend of natural latex and proprietary ingredients to get the comfort of the talalay along with the durability of the dunlop without the cost of the dunlop.
The most expensive beds use stack layers of talalay on top of dunlop and finish it off with a layer topper of wool "pillow top". That's getting back up into the $4-5000 range again.

We had a Soaring Heart dunlop mattress (~$3000) we used for about 10 years before my wife decided it was too stiff. We now have a Tuft and Needle that was around $800 and have been using it for 2 years now and it's a good middle ground between too stiff and too soft. I still miss the soaring heart sometimes. My oldest daughter inherited it from us, so while she goes on foreign exchange next year I might steal back our old mattress.

'09 335Xi
'05 Mini Cooper
'89 325iX
gone:'01 325i, '02 X5 4.6is, '87 325, 94 325i, 93 525it, 84 318i (373k miles), 71 2002
Jump to top racingbmwm3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-22-2019, 05:00:09 AM   #53
Frank Ricard
You're my boy, Blue!

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingbmwm3 View Post
Note, dunlop latex is the longest lasting (I know people that have been using this style for 30 years with no noticeable wear/tear or change in comfort) but also the stiffest. Talalay is the softest latex, similar to memory foam but you don't sink into it and it doesn't make you hot, but it will develop impressions after a few years and lose it's squishiness after that. Most of these beds like Purple, TuftnNeedle, Casper, are using a blend of natural latex and proprietary ingredients to get the comfort of the talalay along with the durability of the dunlop without the cost of the dunlop.
The most expensive beds use stack layers of talalay on top of dunlop and finish it off with a layer topper of wool "pillow top". That's getting back up into the $4-5000 range again.

We had a Soaring Heart dunlop mattress (~$3000) we used for about 10 years before my wife decided it was too stiff. We now have a Tuft and Needle that was around $800 and have been using it for 2 years now and it's a good middle ground between too stiff and too soft. I still miss the soaring heart sometimes. My oldest daughter inherited it from us, so while she goes on foreign exchange next year I might steal back our old mattress.
I have no insight into this. All these new direct to consumer name brands just call their bed material some special formula. Most dont brag about natural latex, which I presume they would if it had it? Either way I dont have much interest in that... I personally dont think I would pay a premium for a polyurethane bed instead of buying the same thing from Amazon for cheaper... that being said, I bet a cheap tuft and needle is probably around the same price as a 10" poly bed on amazon.

There are a few direct to consumer 100% natural latex beds in the 1400-2500 dollar range. No topper, just a top layer of latex with a softer latex top (or a lower ILD). That is what would get my money.

You can get natural dunlop with lower ILD's or higher ILD's.... I assume you know that, it sounds like you know more than me. A topper defeats part of the purpose for me... Latex sleeps cool. I also dont want to 'sink in'.

I bought a cheap Amazon latex bed to hold me over for the rest of 2019... I am moving my queen setup into the guest room, but didnt feel like dropping the nut for a king bed + whole bedroom set today... I'll report back on my takeaway. If its too firm, I plan on buying a low ILD topper for it. Next year I'll go all out on the whole bedroom set. Spending money on furniture sucks.

Sounds like your dunlop mattress has held up well over time? Why did you go for one of the poly beds? Could you not get a talalay or dunlop you liked?

Last edited by Frank Ricard; Wed, May-22-2019 at 05:21:26 AM.
Jump to top Frank Ricard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-22-2019, 03:42:48 PM   #54
racingbmwm3
Illegal domestic alien

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
I have no insight into this. All these new direct to consumer name brands just call their bed material some special formula. Most dont brag about natural latex, which I presume they would if it had it? Either way I dont have much interest in that... I personally dont think I would pay a premium for a polyurethane bed instead of buying the same thing from Amazon for cheaper... that being said, I bet a cheap tuft and needle is probably around the same price as a 10" poly bed on amazon.

There are a few direct to consumer 100% natural latex beds in the 1400-2500 dollar range. No topper, just a top layer of latex with a softer latex top (or a lower ILD). That is what would get my money.

You can get natural dunlop with lower ILD's or higher ILD's.... I assume you know that, it sounds like you know more than me. A topper defeats part of the purpose for me... Latex sleeps cool. I also dont want to 'sink in'.

I bought a cheap Amazon latex bed to hold me over for the rest of 2019... I am moving my queen setup into the guest room, but didnt feel like dropping the nut for a king bed + whole bedroom set today... I'll report back on my takeaway. If its too firm, I plan on buying a low ILD topper for it. Next year I'll go all out on the whole bedroom set. Spending money on furniture sucks.

Sounds like your dunlop mattress has held up well over time? Why did you go for one of the poly beds? Could you not get a talalay or dunlop you liked?
wife's coworker bought a tuftnneedle a few months before and kept telling her how awesome it was. I didn't have much say in that decision. I don't know the specific ILD's on ours, but looking at the scales, I'd say our soaring heart is around the 80-90 range and our T&N is around the 60-70 range.

as far as amazon pricing, tuftnneedle actually has an amazon only model that's ridiculously cheap compared to their standard offerings, but it's also made with less and lesser materials.

'09 335Xi
'05 Mini Cooper
'89 325iX
gone:'01 325i, '02 X5 4.6is, '87 325, 94 325i, 93 525it, 84 318i (373k miles), 71 2002
Old Sun, May-26-2019, 03:24:57 AM   #55
tectonic
its custom

Poland

Quote:
Anyone have any recommendations in the sub 1500 space? My budget level sealy is wrecking my back after 6 years and I need something new. Was initially going to get the Tuft and Needle Mint and call it a day but after trying it out in the store, it's ok but doesn't necessarily wow me. Hard to tell in the awkward showroom setting.

Currently considering:
Tuft and Needle Mint - Standard multilayer petroleum foam setup
Casper Original - Same
Awara - Dunlop latex spring hybrid that sounds promising

****ing impossible comparing these things as well. There's a million microbrands that have popped up and a million more gimmicky sounding review sites touting different ones as the second coming. Starting to understand why my dad was such a consumer reports fan growing up.
Check out Purple.

[Pbase]

FOR SALE: Thule Sidearm 594XT Bike Rack (x2).
PM ME FOR PRICE.
Jump to top tectonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, May-26-2019, 06:01:26 AM   #56
Rakshas

In the garage:

India

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_Dust View Post
Just go to mattress firm to try stuff out and then go on us-mattress.com and find the same one for about half the price, unfortunately they don't carry posh&lavish but they have all of the major brands.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tectonic View Post
Check out Purple.
Had the chance to take a couple hours and go try a few beds this week:

-Full foam is out. Tried a couple different kinds (casper, T&N, another I can't remember the name of) and they all just feel wrong. Position shifts are difficult and I feel trapped in one place in the bed. Not my thing.

-Full latex Talalay latex from Latexpedic. Comfortable and had a nice level of support and softness. Good balance of sleeping "on" vs "in" the bed. However, 10-15 day trial period and the hole in the wall shop were big turn offs. Not to mention the highest price at 1800 + delivery.
http://latexpedic.com/High-Profile.html

-Tried the Sealy hybrid foam/spring at Bed Dr's. Felt too much like a full foam to me. Same position switch issues and feeling of sinking into the bed. Also overpriced at 1800
https://www.sealy.com/mattresses/lines/hybrid/

-Tried the Posh + Lavish lower end models and actually wasn't a huge fan. One was incredibly firm, felt like lying on a board, the other was nice but not 3000 dollars nice. Didn't try their 4500 dollar model. I am a huge fan of their pillows though and will likely be getting them.
http://www.poshandlavish.com/models/#18

-Bed Dr's have a Talalay Latex+pocket spring hybrid I really liked. It's essentially a store branded version of this bed from Brooklyn Bedding :
https://www.brooklynbedding.com/prod.../bloom-hybrid/
Very comfortable, felt like it had the best balance of support and plushness of everything I tried, and the price is right at 1250. Only thing giving me pause is I don't know a lot about Brooklyn bedding quality, but the 120 night trial and 10 year warranty are reassuring.

-Tried a Simmons hybrid foam+spring that I was actually very impressed with:
https://www.beautyrest.com/Hybrid/BR...IM-Ultra-Plush
Not quite as comfortable as the Latex hybrid above, but better than all the others (full latex excluded). Price is good at 1249, and I know the beauty rest name, but not sure I want the drawbacks of foam vs latex.

-Tried a Purple3 and loved it, but not at 2200.

So as it stands, i'm leaning toward pulling the trigger on the brooklyn bedding latex hybrid, but I'm wondering where you guys are seeing full latex beds for this price or less? I think i've ruled out the awara and the avocado as i'm leaning toward a plusher feel and I think the Talalay should offer that over dunlop.
Jump to top Rakshas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, May-27-2019, 01:35:46 AM   #57
tectonic
its custom

Poland

Quote:

-Full foam is out. Tried a couple different kinds (casper, T&N, another I can't remember the name of) and they all just feel wrong. Position shifts are difficult and I feel trapped in one place in the bed. Not my thing.

-Full latex Talalay latex from Latexpedic. Comfortable and had a nice level of support and softness. Good balance of sleeping "on" vs "in" the bed. However, 10-15 day trial period and the hole in the wall shop were big turn offs. Not to mention the highest price at 1800 + delivery.

-Tried the Sealy hybrid foam/spring at Bed Dr's. Felt too much like a full foam to me. Same position switch issues and feeling of sinking into the bed. Also overpriced at 1800

-Tried the Posh + Lavish lower end models and actually wasn't a huge fan. One was incredibly firm, felt like lying on a board, the other was nice but not 3000 dollars nice. Didn't try their 4500 dollar model. I am a huge fan of their pillows though and will likely be getting them.

-Bed Dr's have a Talalay Latex+pocket spring hybrid I really liked. It's essentially a store branded version of this bed from Brooklyn Bedding :
Very comfortable, felt like it had the best balance of support and plushness of everything I tried, and the price is right at 1250. Only thing giving me pause is I don't know a lot about Brooklyn bedding quality, but the 120 night trial and 10 year warranty are reassuring.

Not quite as comfortable as the Latex hybrid above, but better than all the others (full latex excluded). Price is good at 1249, and I know the beauty rest name, but not sure I want the drawbacks of foam vs latex.

So as it stands, i'm leaning toward pulling the trigger on the brooklyn bedding latex hybrid, but I'm wondering where you guys are seeing full latex beds for this price or less? I think i've ruled out the awara and the avocado as i'm leaning toward a plusher feel and I think the Talalay should offer that over dunlop.
If you liked the purple 3 than try to see if you can try the original purple. The original can be had for a significantly cheaper price. Instead of the 3" proprietary layer it has a 2" layer. I too was in that dilemma and after reading peoples opinions about the 3" layer being too soft and plush, I opted for their original. Plus you can't beat the price depending on which size you go for.

I've found myself sleeping in several times ever since I bought this mattress. Its great.

[Pbase]

FOR SALE: Thule Sidearm 594XT Bike Rack (x2).
PM ME FOR PRICE.
Jump to top tectonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, May-27-2019, 02:28:01 AM   #58
Speed Monkey
Bananas, Just Bananas

United States

Just make sure this doesn’t happen...

Jump to top Speed Monkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, May-28-2019, 01:58:02 PM   #59
thomcalo

United States

Quote:

Make sure whatever decision you make gives you a decent trial + return options. My only caution with plush/softer beds is that they may feel nice initially but for me personally didn't provide nearly enough lower back support (my hips would sink too low). Especially as they break in more, you may sink deeper. It is very possible a plush bed is your preference but for me with a sensitive lower back, plush models were the absolute worse.

Best of luck man, mattress shopping is literally the worse. I just got my tempurpedic last week and am still in an adjustment period. Not getting very good sleep but my aches/pains are significantly reduced. Hoping for the best once I adjust and the bed breaks in.

Anyone here have an adjustable base? I got one and while super awesome for lounging in bed/reading, I'm having a hard time sleeping with it in adjusted positions.
Old Mon, Jun-03-2019, 05:20:45 PM   #60
racingbmwm3
Illegal domestic alien

In the garage:

United States

Rakshas, which T&N did you try? We have the original and it doesn't feel anything at all like I'm stuck in one position. Maybe the Mint is more that memory foam style that sinks in?

'09 335Xi
'05 Mini Cooper
'89 325iX