BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > Misc > Off Topic
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Off Topic Place to discuss this and that. Note: We also have "request to join" forums: Guns and Fitness.
(Threads/posts inside may contain material that is NSFW / offensive)

Old Thu, May-20-2010, 03:01:22 PM   #1
M3_Dust
0% Sarcasm

In the garage:

United States

Default Shopping for a new mattress, anyone have a latex or visco memory foam bed?

like the title says, I am looking to buy a new mattress (king size) and have been looking at a lot of different options including foam and latex beds (like tempurpedic but they are too overpriced). I have found several that seem suitable and are either a proprietary memory foam, specifically a memory foam bed made by Serta, on sale for $1600 no tax, free sheets, 30 year warranty, this is a very comfortable bed and the low-end of the price spectrum, I have also found a Sealy latex and foam bed for a similar price, feel is a bit firmer, there are also numerous other beds which are a combination of latex and foam, some are latex only, with prices ranging from $1500-2500.

I have chronic pain in my back and hip and am very sensitive to pressure in those areas, so I require a fairly soft sleep surface, I think that I want to get away from a bed with springs but am unsure of how these somewhat unconventional beds will hold-up over time and how they will actually work in the real world and not in the bed store showroom, so my question is, who has experience with these type of mattresses?

I'm going back and forth between the foam/latex stuff or the high-end Simmons beauty rest pillow top with memory foam and latex in the cover for about $2300, this bed feels very good for a spring bed, but only has a 10 year warranty while the foam and latex beds typically have at least 20, so can I really expect to spend the same amount of money and have the mattress last twice as long?

any serious input is welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saag View Post
Financial security, good looking women, fine automobiles and clothing. That is how my friends and I portray ourselves to the rest of society.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggb View Post
Must be horrible that you cannot afford one..
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastYugo View Post
people hate you and you look like a turd. GTFO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakshas View Post
Terrible taste confirmed
Jump to top M3_Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, May-20-2010, 03:04:08 PM   #2
Viciousjay

United States

i was int he market about 3 monthes ago, and the memory foam is SUPER HOT at night!!! i had them take it back... it was ok to sleep on but way to hot, i woke up in deep sweats as did my g/f.

go to abed place and lay on each bed for 10 min and toss and turn too till your comfortable
Jump to top Viciousjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, May-20-2010, 03:06:15 PM   #3
M3_Dust
0% Sarcasm

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viciousjay View Post
i was int he market about 3 monthes ago, and the memory foam is SUPER HOT at night!!! i had them take it back... it was ok to sleep on but way to hot, i woke up in deep sweats as did my g/f.

go to abed place and lay on each bed for 10 min and toss and turn too till your comfortable
this is what I am hearing about the memory foam, and it seems like a lot of the manufacturers are discontinuing the foam tops and going to strictly latex

which foam bed did you have?

Quote:
Financial security, good looking women, fine automobiles and clothing. That is how my friends and I portray ourselves to the rest of society.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Terrible taste confirmed
Old Thu, May-20-2010, 03:07:51 PM   #4
///M Rat
Brilliant in chaos

In the garage:

Puerto Rico

Last year I stayed for a week at a hotel in ATL that had the Tempurpedic mattress. Personally I think it's too firm (hard would be the more appropriate adjective), but that's just my impression. I wouldn't buy it for my bed.
Old Thu, May-20-2010, 03:10:32 PM   #5
M3_Dust
0% Sarcasm

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Rat View Post
Last year I stayed for a week at a hotel in ATL that had the Tempurpedic mattress. Personally I think it's too firm (hard would be the more appropriate adjective), but that's just my impression. I wouldn't buy it for my bed.
I tend to agree, initially I thought the model the guy showed me was amazing, but after looking around at a lot more stores and trying a lot more beds, then going back to that same tempurpedic, I think it is quite firm, and a complete and total ripoff @ $4k

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Terrible taste confirmed
Old Thu, May-20-2010, 03:21:28 PM   #6
Viciousjay

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_Dust View Post
this is what I am hearing about the memory foam, and it seems like a lot of the manufacturers are discontinuing the foam tops and going to strictly latex

which foam bed did you have?
i tired the sealy and serta and didnt like either, i woke up with severe back pain as well as sweats. and ive never had a back issue ever, i went witha firm matress with a plush pillow top and man its comfortable
Jump to top Viciousjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, May-20-2010, 03:27:27 PM   #7
GotM?
Admiral Douchington

In the garage:

United States

Before you go crazy and buy something really expensive....considering trying a mattress topper first. My mattress wasn't doin it for me, it was about 6 years old and showing some wear. I got a 4" memory foam topper. I got a hypoallergenic zip cover which wraps around the whole thing which also took care of the heat issue, at least for me anyways. It's like an entirely new bed, and it only cost me like $140 on overstock.com. Since i've ordered a topper for every other bed in the house, and anyone who sleeps in the guest bed says it is amazing and a few people have since bought the same topper. Just my 2 cents, it may work for you too.

Jump to top GotM? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, May-20-2010, 04:38:26 PM   #8
RSRlover4life
donde esta mi pantalones?

United States

I have a Tempurpedic bed and let me tell you, if you have chronic pain and are covered by insurance then maybe they could pick up the bill

My father is 64 years old and has had hip surgery becuase he had a shattered hip when younger(Army Lieutenant, 22 tanks he was in charge of, bullet shattered his hip). Anyway, his insurance company Blue Cross/Blue Shield took the bill on our beds for the house and we paid literally nothing.

I'veb been sleeping on the Tempurpedic adjustable mattress for the past 10 months and let me tell you, I love it! My back used to get sore from the spring beds but after the switch it was amazing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil97m3Blue View Post
Brah, AWD will make you dinner and file your taxes.
Jump to top RSRlover4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, May-20-2010, 05:35:22 PM   #9
trebm3
Gaming Elder

In the garage:

Bolivia

Mattress firm has a test bed that lays you down and tells you what is best for your sleeping type. Thought it was a gimmick but the laying on the bed tells the systems how your body lays and then it tells you the best type of bed for you. They then show you all the beds that are organized around their store.
Jump to top trebm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, May-20-2010, 06:55:07 PM   #10
M3_Dust
0% Sarcasm

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebm3 View Post
Mattress firm has a test bed that lays you down and tells you what is best for your sleeping type. Thought it was a gimmick but the laying on the bed tells the systems how your body lays and then it tells you the best type of bed for you. They then show you all the beds that are organized around their store.
Yes the sleep to live bed, I tried it, it's amazing, and five thousand dollars

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Terrible taste confirmed