BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Fri, Dec-01-2017, 02:46:30 PM   #101
stash1

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Designing a classy and timeless hood with functional heat reduction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
The engine bay is pretty water proof-- I can't see any issue from there.

The negative effect I see is the air going into the climate system is hot, making it have to work a lot harder, and potentially stinky, if you have any leak.
Yep, that was initially very much a concern, especially w/a catless exhaust (although I'm currently running an HFC). But real world, in my case anyway, it hasn't seemed to have caused any issues; however, I'm def not advocating that everyone go run for their drills and hole saws-lol. My car is also far from being representative of your avg. daily driven M3. I think I used my AC once in the 8 yrs that I've owned my car, and have since ditched the AC system altogether...sooo, I def can't comment on any effects to the AC system operation that this mod may cause. My car only retains heat, but I haven't really noticed any funky odors w/the heat blasting away. I would like to think (maybe optimistically) that due to a slight chimney effect, that hopefully, most of the bad vapes are being sucked right past the filter and out the hood vent. Anyway, mod w/discretion as always folks.

Last edited by stash1; Fri, Dec-01-2017 at 04:47:29 PM.
Jump to top stash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Dec-01-2017, 02:49:02 PM   #102
stash1

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillzo1 View Post
If you wouldnt mind and can find some time...do you think you can pop the cover off and take the filter out so you can take a few pics for us? Id like to see exactpy where you you made the holes.
I'll try Lloyd, but no promises!
Old Fri, Dec-01-2017, 02:50:53 PM   #103
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by stash1 View Post
Yep, that was initially very much a concern, especially w/a catless exhaust (although I'm currently running an HFC). But real world, in my case anyway, it hasn't seemed to have caused any issues; however, I'm def not advocating that everyone go run for their drills and hole saws-lol. My car is also far from being representative of your daily driven M3. I think I used my AC once in the 8 yrs that I've owned my car, and have since ditched the AC system altogether...sooo, I def can't comment on any effects to the AC system operation that this mod may cause. My car only retains heat, but I haven't really noticed any funky odors w/the heat blasting away. I would like to think (maybe optimistically) that due to a slight chimney effect, that hopefully, most of the bad vapes are being sucked right past the filter and out the hood vent. Anyway, mod w/discretion as always folks.
I actually mean leaks like oil leaking on the headers/burning, but exhaust leaks too, as you say!

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon, and some boring stuff
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Dec-01-2017, 03:09:32 PM   #104
skillzo1

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Yep, that was initially very much a concern, especially w/a catless exhaust (although I'm currently running an HFC). But real world, in my case anyway, it hasn't seemed to have caused any issues; however, I'm def not advocating that everyone go run for their drills and hole saws-lol. My car is also far from being representative of your daily driven M3. I think I used my AC once in the 8 yrs that I've owned my car, and have since ditched the AC system altogether...sooo, I def can't comment on any effects to the AC system operation that this mod may cause. My car only retains heat, but I haven't really noticed any funky odors w/the heat blasting away. I would like to think (maybe optimistically) that due to a slight chimney effect, that hopefully, most of the bad vapes are being sucked right past the filter and out the hood vent. Anyway, mod w/discretion as always folks.
Quote:
I'll try Lloyd, but no promises!

My car isnt a daily either but mostly driven during the summer. Since i have a spare housing im willing to give it a try. Any issues and ill just swap it right back.

Skillzo's Build...http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=487768
Jump to top skillzo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Dec-01-2017, 04:04:41 PM   #105
stash1

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
I actually mean leaks like oil leaking on the headers/burning, but exhaust leaks too, as you say!
What, an M3 w/fluid leaks??? Fake news!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillzo1 View Post

My car isnt a daily either but mostly driven during the summer. Since i have a spare housing im willing to give it a try. Any issues and ill just swap it right back.
Ya, I know, you're too busy modding-like me. Sounds like a plan!

Last edited by stash1; Fri, Dec-01-2017 at 04:46:51 PM.
Jump to top stash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Dec-01-2017, 04:30:03 PM   #106
HassanEido

In the garage:

Lebanon

U can easily fix the fumes thingy. Two tubes that seal to the ventz end of story

Mods:
-Custom CF airbox
-SSV2 catless headers, Custom 2.5" dual sec1, Custom sec2 2.5" dual with e9xM X pipe, SuperSprint Race inspired custom section 3..
-Cat Cams 280 272.
-Custom dyno tune
-Tms pulleys and electric fan conversion
364.1 whp 287.8 wtq

Custom exhaust thread and dyno http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=569086
Cams thread and dyno http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=554439
Custom cf airbox thread http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=595180
Jump to top HassanEido is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Dec-01-2017, 06:57:38 PM   #107
Brian N
wubalubadubdub

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
As you know, it's not my daily, and the drain holes at the back of the housing are still there and functional. I tried to drill at some of the elevated points on the housingóhaven't noticed any ill effects to date. Been like this for about 3-4yrs. now. I guess one could always use some tape (over the holes) or something as a temporary means if you were worried about water entering the engine compartment while washing.
Makes sense. Yes mine isnít my daily but I do like to detail and wash the thing. Plan on getting a pressure washer/foam canon setup soon. I think some tape should work though. Or I can just stuff a bunch of towels in the area. Iím sure I can make it work. Just wondering if you came up with any solutions.

Quote:
Yep, that was initially very much a concern, especially w/a catless exhaust (although I'm currently running an HFC). But real world, in my case anyway, it hasn't seemed to have caused any issues; however, I'm def not advocating that everyone go run for their drills and hole saws-lol. My car is also far from being representative of your avg. daily driven M3. I think I used my AC once in the 8 yrs that I've owned my car, and have since ditched the AC system altogether...sooo, I def can't comment on any effects to the AC system operation that this mod may cause. My car only retains heat, but I haven't really noticed any funky odors w/the heat blasting away. I would like to think (maybe optimistically) that due to a slight chimney effect, that hopefully, most of the bad vapes are being sucked right past the filter and out the hood vent. Anyway, mod w/discretion as always folks.
Yeah I pretty much use the car the same way. Since I have owned the car I have not used AC once. It will be removed as well. Itís just extra weight that I donít need.

Good news at no real big drawbacks from what you have explained. I really think this is my current ideal solution. Completely stealth and removes some trapped engine heat. Thanks again for sharing that idea Stan.

-My Journal-
Jump to top Brian N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Dec-02-2017, 01:53:07 AM   #108
stash1

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian N View Post
Makes sense. Yes mine isnít my daily but I do like to detail and wash the thing. Plan on getting a pressure washer/foam canon setup soon. I think some tape should work though. Or I can just stuff a bunch of towels in the area. Iím sure I can make it work. Just wondering if you came up with any solutions.

Yeah I pretty much use the car the same way. Since I have owned the car I have not used AC once. It will be removed as well. Itís just extra weight that I donít need.

Good news at no real big drawbacks from what you have explained. I really think this is my current ideal solution. Completely stealth and removes some trapped engine heat. Thanks again for sharing that idea Stan.

NP Brian, but that's the last speed tip that you guys are gettin out of meóI can't give away all of my secret squirrel stuff!
Old Sat, Dec-02-2017, 06:22:14 AM   #109

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblegunz View Post
Radiator is comming out at the end of this week. Headers + Catted section 2 will come out arround Feb, so in 3-4 months time. Keep in mind we wount be working over the holidays obviously. We should have an oil cooler at that point as well.

We are working out our cam deal at the moment with the German company as we speak and with the billet cam-follower kit as well, these should be availiable arround that time as well. Valve Springs are already availiable, we just need to get some things sorted before we start offering them. They are stress tested to 9300 rpm with high-lift cams.

We are open to ideas. Once we open it all up and get a good look at everything we will see what we can come up with. Currently we have 3 items due to release in the next 15 days, so we havn't had mutch time to do so. I presume we will be reusing the stock cover, but if we find that it compromises our idea in any way, we will be creating our own. I will keep you guys posted.

Best regards,
Antony
Will there be a catless version for "offroad" use?

Engine: Lang Racing stage 2.5 head, Schrick 288/280 cams, ARP studs, Epic Tuning, AFE intake, CSL headers, SGT scza section 3.

Driveline: Clutch Masters FX725, AKG stage II shifter, Vibra technics engine and trans mounts, Motorsport 4.10 R&P, mason clutch pedal.

Suspension: Bilstein coilovers, camber mod, UUC sways, PFC direct drive, PFC 08's, Nitto NT05's.

Coming soon: Lang Racing rod journal widening kit w/ CP 12:1 87.5mm pistons, Carrillo rods, Supersprint stepped V1 headers & section 1.

Instagram: instatroll_zach
Jump to top . is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Dec-03-2017, 03:41:26 PM   #110
nasieg

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblegunz View Post
OUR GOALS

I think Obioban is on the money when he said that there are many functional aero hoods on the market already. One can even purchase vents separately, and from what I see these will be 100 times more effective than a hood.

Again, as has been said, that is not where we are aiming. Trackcars and track-oriented builds are not where we want to go with our items - there are plenty of companies making such items anyway.

We are trying to make a carbon item, which will save arround 7kg (16lbs) from the front, while adding a bit more venting, with the main focus of keeping the classic lines of the car in tact. We could actually make a hood without vents, just the standard one in carbon fiber, and make it fit perfect - as if OEM - which is also a way to go if needbe. It is a part of an ongoing project we are working on with the e46 m3 as the main focus.

RESEARCH

As I have contacts with a friend who had a 750hp e46 m3 supercharged drift/track car who has a lot of experience - owning it for over 5 years and modifying it constantly, while testing different things. One of the main problems with heat is the polen filter housing, which blocks airflow to cilinder 5 and 6. It is probably why the CSL used a thinner housing, so that it can at least release heat better. What I was told was, that once he removed the whole thing all together, the engine temps dropped dramatically, an average of 10-12 degrees celcius at least, but he had a huge issue when it would start raining, as water went into places it shouldnt go to. It is actually quite logical, as EU engines tend to throw head-gaskets usually between cilinders 5 and 6, usually cilinder 6 going first... So we might be working on a new carbon fiber polen filter housing first, and then go for a hood... If this works, even venting the hood might not be required, unless we come up with a really amazing design.

Maybe we can combine function, style and suppleness? :P A couple of more ideas, derived from the motorsport24 hoods, using photoshop:

I'm a bit behind on reading in this thread. Like your approach and would be interested in in exactly this. In general, I like your guys' approach.

Seems like an optimistic weight reduction though? I remember going from a steel hood to a CF hood on a e30 and it was just about that amount, but being that the e46 M3 hood is aluminum (to my best knowledge) loosing 7kg seems almost impossible to me? Either way, even if it is less and offers some cooling, it would get my attention.

I like those bumpers with integrated splitters. Probably not very street friendly, but maybe a spare one for the track. Who makes those?

My Journal

Besian VANOS, Euro Headers & Section1, TTFS tune, TMS under-dive pulleys, TC Kline S/A Coil Overs, Brembo 996 Calipers, ECS 2 Piece Rotors, Rally Road/P0lar Adapters, SS Brake Lines, Motul 600,Hawk HT-10 Pads, Braille Lightweight Battery, Hotchkis Sway Bars, SR2 CF Sunroof Panel,Apex ARC-8 & Sportline CS8's, Recaro Sportser CS Seats,SAP delete,Lightweight Cabin Filter Housing, SG CSL Diffuser, OEM CSL Trunk, Modified Stock Muffler
Jump to top nasieg is offline   Reply With Quote