BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Tue, Sep-04-2018, 11:39:52 PM   #1
tpmmaso

United States

Default E36 M3 Control Arm Refurbish

Hi M3forum. I'm looking for someone that can peform a control arm refurbish for my 1996+ M3 control arms. Also if anyone knows of a DIY out there that would be super helpful. Thanks!

Last edited by tpmmaso; Wed, Sep-05-2018 at 05:44:53 AM.
Jump to top tpmmaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Sep-05-2018, 04:42:57 AM   #2
Oogie_M
o_O

Taiwan

Default Re: E36 M3 Control Arm Refurbish

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpmmaso View Post
Hi M3forum. I'm looking for someone that can peform a control arm refurbish for my 1996+ M3 control arms. Also if anyone knows of a DIY out there that would be super helpful. Thanks!

E36 M3 Control Arms - REFURBISHED
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...3&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top Oogie_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Sep-05-2018, 05:40:29 AM   #3
tpmmaso

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oogie_M View Post
E36 M3 Control Arms - REFURBISHED
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...3&share_type=t

I spoke with brett briefly and inquired if I could purchase a set from him. I was a little disappointed that after asking him if there was a diy for how to perform the refurbish myself he stopped replying to me and ignored my messages. It seems like he dosen't want to lose business even if it means helping another E36 M3 owner . I was a little disappointed as I love the quality products he has on msportparts. Oh well.

I'm posting this to help other E36 M3 owners in the future if they find this thread years later.

By using oem lemforder ball joints one can peform the refurbish as to this diy:
http://e36diy.com/e36-m3-replacement...rm-ball-joint/

Another DIY in case the link dies:
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/1208313

Last edited by tpmmaso; Wed, Sep-05-2018 at 06:14:21 AM.
Old Wed, Sep-05-2018, 02:27:38 PM   #4
Texaz3

United States

Quote:
..It seems like he dosen't want to lose business even if it means helping another E36 M3 owner .
Oh, I think you are preaching to the wrong choir bud. Very few people do more for this section of the forum than Brett.
Jump to top Texaz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Sep-05-2018, 02:43:09 PM   #5
Oogie_M
o_O

Taiwan

Quote:

I spoke with brett briefly and inquired if I could purchase a set from him. I was a little disappointed that after asking him if there was a diy for how to perform the refurbish myself he stopped replying to me and ignored my messages. It seems like he dosen't want to lose business even if it means helping another E36 M3 owner . I was a little disappointed as I love the quality products he has on msportparts. Oh well.

I'm posting this to help other E36 M3 owners in the future if they find this thread years later.

On the contrary, I've found him to be quite helpful over the years to me and other forum members.

Forum and Google search will reveal that the topic of FCA refurbishment is an actively covered topic (as your links above have shown).

Last edited by Oogie_M; Wed, Sep-05-2018 at 02:49:04 PM.
Jump to top Oogie_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Sep-05-2018, 03:05:57 PM   #6
fattycharged
can't even

In the garage:

Zimbabwe

3 posts eh

Old Wed, Sep-05-2018, 04:13:48 PM   #7
abcurran

In the garage:

United States

Quote:

I don't understand this post. You want to find someone to do the refresh for you, but you want to a DIY for the refresh, I presume so you can either do it yourself, or understand how it's done and decide whether you want to try and do it yourself? The two are mutually exclusive.

Anyone with a slight bit of business sense understands not to take money out of their own pocket. Maybe you have none, and that explains the surprise of being ignored.

I assume you know how to use the internet. After all, you linked the DIY threads. If that assumption is correct, then you know how how much replacement control arms cost, how to search to find the cost for tools and parts necessary to refurb these yourself, and understand that the cost of doing it yourself is just about equal to the cost for a set Brett sells, and your set isn't powder coated or epoxy painted.

I have a set of control arms Brett refurbished. Fit and finish is perfect. Turn around time is quick. Packaging is borderline obsessive-compulsive. 10/10 would buy again.

Jump to top abcurran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Sep-05-2018, 06:14:38 PM   #8
Braymond141

United States

Thanks guys, but it's fine if that is his review. I have no problem helping people without compensation. I wasn't ignoring him either, and I did have a reply started to this last night but found myself doing something else. I was also confused by wanting to buy, cost being an issue due to being a student and then wanting a DIY. None of this work is a secret so there's no reason for me to withhold it. As abcurran noted you should put a little effort into researching first as a courtesy to others and what you're asking for is conflicting.

The guides are all easily found using Google, looks like you got it. The tools are the expensive bit, but if you have the space and can see yourself using the press again in the future, go for it. Finding the right combination of socket or junk steel laying around to get the joints out is a battle the first time around. I soak the arms for two days in 30 gallons of Simple Green before any work is done. This dissolves minor rust and all cosmoline. Yank the ball joint boots off before pressing the joints out. Use a light coating of WD40 when pressing the ball joints back in, don't press from the center covers and make sure you align the joint correctly. The protective caps that come included can be used during reinstall to protect the boots from tearing. A 12-ton press is not sufficient in my opinion and it definitely will not work for other tasks on the car. Buy the 20-ton.

Last edited by Braymond141; Wed, Sep-05-2018 at 06:35:39 PM.
Jump to top Braymond141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Sep-05-2018, 08:16:18 PM   #9
tpmmaso

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcurran View Post
I don't understand this post. You want to find someone to do the refresh for you, but you want to a DIY for the refresh, I presume so you can either do it yourself, or understand how it's done and decide whether you want to try and do it yourself? The two are mutually exclusive.

Anyone with a slight bit of business sense understands not to take money out of their own pocket. Maybe you have none, and that explains the surprise of being ignored.

I assume you know how to use the internet. After all, you linked the DIY threads. If that assumption is correct, then you know how how much replacement control arms cost, how to search to find the cost for tools and parts necessary to refurb these yourself, and understand that the cost of doing it yourself is just about equal to the cost for a set Brett sells, and your set isn't powder coated or epoxy painted.

I have a set of control arms Brett refurbished. Fit and finish is perfect. Turn around time is quick. Packaging is borderline obsessive-compulsive. 10/10 would buy again.

Brett sells for 325 plus shipping and core arms. I found new ball joints and akg fcab for 150 in total. Getting my arms powder coated tomorrow.

Last edited by tpmmaso; Wed, Sep-05-2018 at 08:40:00 PM.
Old Wed, Sep-05-2018, 08:21:30 PM   #10
tpmmaso

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
Thanks guys, but it's fine if that is his review. I have no problem helping people without compensation. I wasn't ignoring him either, and I did have a reply started to this last night but found myself doing something else. I was also confused by wanting to buy, cost being an issue due to being a student and then wanting a DIY. None of this work is a secret so there's no reason for me to withhold it. As abcurran noted you should put a little effort into researching first as a courtesy to others and what you're asking for is conflicting.

The guides are all easily found using Google, looks like you got it. The tools are the expensive bit, but if you have the space and can see yourself using the press again in the future, go for it. Finding the right combination of socket or junk steel laying around to get the joints out is a battle the first time around. I soak the arms for two days in 30 gallons of Simple Green before any work is done. This dissolves minor rust and all cosmoline. Yank the ball joint boots off before pressing the joints out. Use a light coating of WD40 when pressing the ball joints back in, don't press from the center covers and make sure you align the joint correctly. The protective caps that come included can be used during reinstall to protect the boots from tearing. A 12-ton press is not sufficient in my opinion and it definitely will not work for other tasks on the car. Buy the 20-ton.
Reading back my response seems somewhat attacking, but this was not meant to be personal. I did a ton of research and everyone linked me to you. What you do is great work and a solid option to buy. If you search now this thread is one of the top Google responses and now diyers of the future can find it, as I had a very tough time finding links everyone told me to buy them from you. Once again to everyone, I was looking for someone to refurbish the arms, BUT if anyone had a diy link I was looking for one. Thanks for everything you do for the community.

Last edited by tpmmaso; Wed, Sep-05-2018 at 08:39:09 PM.