BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>
Loading


Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Tue, Sep-04-2018, 11:39:52 PM   #1
tpmmaso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 7
Reputation: 0 tpmmaso is on a distinguished road

United States




Default E36 M3 Control Arm Refurbish

Hi M3forum. I'm looking for someone that can peform a control arm refurbish for my 1996+ M3 control arms. Also if anyone knows of a DIY out there that would be super helpful. Thanks!

Last edited by tpmmaso; Wed, Sep-05-2018 at 05:44:53 AM.
Jump to top tpmmaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Sep-05-2018, 04:42:57 AM   #2
Oogie_M
o_O
 
Oogie_M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 376
Reputation: 0 Oogie_M is on a distinguished road
Location: Everywhere

Taiwan




Default Re: E36 M3 Control Arm Refurbish

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpmmaso View Post
Hi M3forum. I'm looking for someone that can peform a control arm refurbish for my 1996+ M3 control arms. Also if anyone knows of a DIY out there that would be super helpful. Thanks!


E36 M3 Control Arms - REFURBISHED
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...3&share_type=t


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top Oogie_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Sep-05-2018, 05:40:29 AM   #3
tpmmaso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 7
Reputation: 0 tpmmaso is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: E36 M3 Control Arm Refurbish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oogie_M View Post
E36 M3 Control Arms - REFURBISHED
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...3&share_type=t


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I spoke with brett briefly and inquired if I could purchase a set from him. I was a little disappointed that after asking him if there was a diy for how to perform the refurbish myself he stopped replying to me and ignored my messages. It seems like he dosen't want to lose business even if it means helping another E36 M3 owner . I was a little disappointed as I love the quality products he has on msportparts. Oh well.

I'm posting this to help other E36 M3 owners in the future if they find this thread years later.

By using oem lemforder ball joints one can peform the refurbish as to this diy:
http://e36diy.com/e36-m3-replacement...rm-ball-joint/

Another DIY in case the link dies:
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/1208313

Last edited by tpmmaso; Wed, Sep-05-2018 at 06:14:21 AM.
Jump to top tpmmaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Sep-05-2018, 02:27:38 PM   #4
Texaz3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,128
Reputation: 0 Texaz3 is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: E36 M3 Control Arm Refurbish

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpmmaso View Post
..It seems like he dosen't want to lose business even if it means helping another E36 M3 owner .
Oh, I think you are preaching to the wrong choir bud. Very few people do more for this section of the forum than Brett.
Jump to top Texaz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Sep-05-2018, 02:43:09 PM   #5
Oogie_M
o_O
 
Oogie_M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 376
Reputation: 0 Oogie_M is on a distinguished road
Location: Everywhere

Taiwan




Default Re: E36 M3 Control Arm Refurbish

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpmmaso View Post


I spoke with brett briefly and inquired if I could purchase a set from him. I was a little disappointed that after asking him if there was a diy for how to perform the refurbish myself he stopped replying to me and ignored my messages. It seems like he dosen't want to lose business even if it means helping another E36 M3 owner . I was a little disappointed as I love the quality products he has on msportparts. Oh well.

I'm posting this to help other E36 M3 owners in the future if they find this thread years later.

By using oem lemforder ball joints one can peform the refurbish as to this diy:
http://e36diy.com/e36-m3-replacement...rm-ball-joint/

Another DIY in case the link dies:
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/1208313
On the contrary, I've found him to be quite helpful over the years to me and other forum members.

Forum and Google search will reveal that the topic of FCA refurbishment is an actively covered topic (as your links above have shown).

Last edited by Oogie_M; Wed, Sep-05-2018 at 02:49:04 PM.
Jump to top Oogie_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Sep-05-2018, 03:05:57 PM   #6
fattycharged
can't even
 
fattycharged's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,587
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 fattycharged has disabled reputation
Location: Houston

Zimbabwe




Default Re: E36 M3 Control Arm Refurbish

3 posts eh


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Topo Chico
Jump to top fattycharged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Sep-05-2018, 04:13:48 PM   #7
abcurran
Registered User
 
abcurran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 505
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 abcurran is on a distinguished road
Location: Brooklyn

United States




Default Re: E36 M3 Control Arm Refurbish

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpmmaso View Post


I spoke with brett briefly and inquired if I could purchase a set from him. I was a little disappointed that after asking him if there was a diy for how to perform the refurbish myself he stopped replying to me and ignored my messages. It seems like he dosen't want to lose business even if it means helping another E36 M3 owner . I was a little disappointed as I love the quality products he has on msportparts. Oh well.

I'm posting this to help other E36 M3 owners in the future if they find this thread years later.

By using oem lemforder ball joints one can peform the refurbish as to this diy:
http://e36diy.com/e36-m3-replacement...rm-ball-joint/

Another DIY in case the link dies:
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/1208313
I don't understand this post. You want to find someone to do the refresh for you, but you want to a DIY for the refresh, I presume so you can either do it yourself, or understand how it's done and decide whether you want to try and do it yourself? The two are mutually exclusive.

Anyone with a slight bit of business sense understands not to take money out of their own pocket. Maybe you have none, and that explains the surprise of being ignored.

I assume you know how to use the internet. After all, you linked the DIY threads. If that assumption is correct, then you know how how much replacement control arms cost, how to search to find the cost for tools and parts necessary to refurb these yourself, and understand that the cost of doing it yourself is just about equal to the cost for a set Brett sells, and your set isn't powder coated or epoxy painted.

I have a set of control arms Brett refurbished. Fit and finish is perfect. Turn around time is quick. Packaging is borderline obsessive-compulsive. 10/10 would buy again.

Jump to top abcurran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Sep-05-2018, 06:14:38 PM   #8
Braymond141
Registered User
 
Braymond141's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 20,405
Reputation: 0 Braymond141 is an unknown quantity at this point
Location: Oakhurst, CA

United States




Default Re: E36 M3 Control Arm Refurbish

Thanks guys, but it's fine if that is his review. I have no problem helping people without compensation. I wasn't ignoring him either, and I did have a reply started to this last night but found myself doing something else. I was also confused by wanting to buy, cost being an issue due to being a student and then wanting a DIY. None of this work is a secret so there's no reason for me to withhold it. As abcurran noted you should put a little effort into researching first as a courtesy to others and what you're asking for is conflicting.

The guides are all easily found using Google, looks like you got it. The tools are the expensive bit, but if you have the space and can see yourself using the press again in the future, go for it. Finding the right combination of socket or junk steel laying around to get the joints out is a battle the first time around. I soak the arms for two days in 30 gallons of Simple Green before any work is done. This dissolves minor rust and all cosmoline. Yank the ball joint boots off before pressing the joints out. Use a light coating of WD40 when pressing the ball joints back in, don't press from the center covers and make sure you align the joint correctly. The protective caps that come included can be used during reinstall to protect the boots from tearing. A 12-ton press is not sufficient in my opinion and it definitely will not work for other tasks on the car. Buy the 20-ton.

Last edited by Braymond141; Wed, Sep-05-2018 at 06:35:39 PM.
Jump to top Braymond141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Sep-05-2018, 08:16:18 PM   #9
tpmmaso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 7
Reputation: 0 tpmmaso is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: E36 M3 Control Arm Refurbish

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcurran View Post
I don't understand this post. You want to find someone to do the refresh for you, but you want to a DIY for the refresh, I presume so you can either do it yourself, or understand how it's done and decide whether you want to try and do it yourself? The two are mutually exclusive.

Anyone with a slight bit of business sense understands not to take money out of their own pocket. Maybe you have none, and that explains the surprise of being ignored.

I assume you know how to use the internet. After all, you linked the DIY threads. If that assumption is correct, then you know how how much replacement control arms cost, how to search to find the cost for tools and parts necessary to refurb these yourself, and understand that the cost of doing it yourself is just about equal to the cost for a set Brett sells, and your set isn't powder coated or epoxy painted.

I have a set of control arms Brett refurbished. Fit and finish is perfect. Turn around time is quick. Packaging is borderline obsessive-compulsive. 10/10 would buy again.

Brett sells for 325 plus shipping and core arms. I found new ball joints and akg fcab for 150 in total. Getting my arms powder coated tomorrow.

Last edited by tpmmaso; Wed, Sep-05-2018 at 08:40:00 PM.
Jump to top tpmmaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Sep-05-2018, 08:21:30 PM   #10
tpmmaso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 7
Reputation: 0 tpmmaso is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: E36 M3 Control Arm Refurbish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
Thanks guys, but it's fine if that is his review. I have no problem helping people without compensation. I wasn't ignoring him either, and I did have a reply started to this last night but found myself doing something else. I was also confused by wanting to buy, cost being an issue due to being a student and then wanting a DIY. None of this work is a secret so there's no reason for me to withhold it. As abcurran noted you should put a little effort into researching first as a courtesy to others and what you're asking for is conflicting.

The guides are all easily found using Google, looks like you got it. The tools are the expensive bit, but if you have the space and can see yourself using the press again in the future, go for it. Finding the right combination of socket or junk steel laying around to get the joints out is a battle the first time around. I soak the arms for two days in 30 gallons of Simple Green before any work is done. This dissolves minor rust and all cosmoline. Yank the ball joint boots off before pressing the joints out. Use a light coating of WD40 when pressing the ball joints back in, don't press from the center covers and make sure you align the joint correctly. The protective caps that come included can be used during reinstall to protect the boots from tearing. A 12-ton press is not sufficient in my opinion and it definitely will not work for other tasks on the car. Buy the 20-ton.
Reading back my response seems somewhat attacking, but this was not meant to be personal. I did a ton of research and everyone linked me to you. What you do is great work and a solid option to buy. If you search now this thread is one of the top Google responses and now diyers of the future can find it, as I had a very tough time finding links everyone told me to buy them from you. Once again to everyone, I was looking for someone to refurbish the arms, BUT if anyone had a diy link I was looking for one. Thanks for everything you do for the community.

Last edited by tpmmaso; Wed, Sep-05-2018 at 08:39:09 PM.
Jump to top tpmmaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 05:29:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
M3Forum.com and M3forum.net is in no way sponsored, endorsed or affiliated by or with BMW NA / BMW AG or any of it's subsidiaries or vendors.
BMW and M3 (E90 M3 | E92 M3 | E93 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | E30 M3) are registered trademarks of BMW AG.
M3Forum Terms of Service
Copyright 1999-2017 M3Forum.com
Discussing LTW clears and a drop. in the E36 M3 (1992-1999) Forum - {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999 at BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X)