BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sat, Nov-03-2018, 04:06:19 PM   #1
eacmen

United States

Default Bleeding MK20 DSC with INPA or DIS?

Well I let my master cylinder run dry, the calipers were off the car and my brake line plugs didn't hold.

There is tons of info on bleeding MK60 units but I have searched far and wide for an INPA or DIS bleeding procedure specifically for the older MK20 DSC/ABS. When you go into INPA you have the ability to individually control the various valves and pumps but I am not sure which ones to activate to do a proper bleed. The list of things you can "activate" is below. You can select multiple things and activate them at once:
  • Activate intake valve front left (single)
  • Activate intake valve front right (single)
  • Activate intake valve rear left (single)
  • Activate intake valve rear right (single)
  • Activate exhaust valve front left (single)
  • Activate exhaust valve front right (single)
  • Activate exhaust valve rear left (single)
  • Activate exhaust valve rear right (single)
  • Activate ASC/DSC valve front axle (single)
  • Activate ASC/DSC valve rear axle (single)
  • Activate DSC cut off valve front axle (single)
  • Activate DSC cut off valve rear axle (single)
  • Activate preload pump (single)
  • Activate return line pump (single)

Any insight would be very much appreciated.
Jump to top eacmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Nov-05-2018, 03:09:15 PM   #2
eacmen

United States

Default Re: Bleeding MK20 DSC with INPA or DIS?

Bump. Nobody bleeds their MK20 DSC?
Old Wed, Nov-07-2018, 03:40:06 PM   #3
robgill
I'd rather be at the track.

In the garage:

United States

I have also tried to figure this out without much luck... The video below was helpful but I couldn't get it to actually activate using INPA. My assumption was the process isn't compatible with my version of the software. Would be great if someone has got this to work and can chime in.

Ultimately I used the manual process of doing an initial bleeding. Then driving the car and locking up the brakes on gravel/sand/water to kick on the ABS. Then bleeding again...

My '02 E46M Build Thread
Jump to top robgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-07-2018, 04:06:23 PM   #4
SQ13

United States

I was in the same situation as you, and I’m pretty sure I activated everything. I have no idea if the ABS was actually bled, but the car did make a bunch of noises.

I had a separate brake issue that I was trying to tackle, so I drove the car for ~200 miles and did the poverty ABS bleed method as well before bleeding all four corners again. My brakes feel great now.
Old Wed, Nov-07-2018, 04:06:53 PM   #5
M3AZ
///M3AZ

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by eacmen View Post
Well I let my master cylinder run dry, the calipers were off the car and my brake line plugs didn't hold.

There is tons of info on bleeding MK60 units but I have searched far and wide for an INPA or DIS bleeding procedure specifically for the older MK20 DSC/ABS. When you go into INPA you have the ability to individually control the various valves and pumps but I am not sure which ones to activate to do a proper bleed. The list of things you can "activate" is below. You can select multiple things and activate them at once:
  • Activate intake valve front left (single)
  • Activate intake valve front right (single)
  • Activate intake valve rear left (single)
  • Activate intake valve rear right (single)
  • Activate exhaust valve front left (single)
  • Activate exhaust valve front right (single)
  • Activate exhaust valve rear left (single)
  • Activate exhaust valve rear right (single)
  • Activate ASC/DSC valve front axle (single)
  • Activate ASC/DSC valve rear axle (single)
  • Activate DSC cut off valve front axle (single)
  • Activate DSC cut off valve rear axle (single)
  • Activate preload pump (single)
  • Activate return line pump (single)

Any insight would be very much appreciated.
Are you sure those aren't the options for the single tests under F1? Similar options appear for the MK60, but they are not for bleeding the brakes.
Jump to top M3AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-07-2018, 04:07:01 PM   #6
eacmen

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgill View Post
I have also tried to figure this out without much luck... The video below was helpful but I couldn't get it to actually activate using INPA. My assumption was the process isn't compatible with my version of the software. Would be great if someone has got this to work and can chime in.

Ultimately I used the manual process of doing an initial bleeding. Then driving the car and locking up the brakes on gravel/sand/water to kick on the ABS. Then bleeding again...

BMW 330i 325i E46 Brake Bleeding Using INPA - YouTube
I can get the ASC/DSC ABS to make noises using INPA so my INPA is working I just dont know which valves to open/close and which pump to turn on. There is "ABS Simulation" which I guess would be like activating it on the street?

I don't think running both pumps at once is a good idea. People that do this by jumping the relay are activating a pump but
Old Wed, Nov-07-2018, 04:09:42 PM   #7
M3AZ
///M3AZ

In the garage:

United States

Quote:

BMW 330i 325i E46 Brake Bleeding Using INPA - YouTube
The INPA brake bleeding is a bit temperamental. I tried dozens of times and it kept giving me the error that the brake pedal wasn't depressed at least 80%. I came back the next day and a few tries later it decided to work.

For what it's worth, I don't think you really need INPA to bleed your brakes unless you've swapped out the pump.
Jump to top M3AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-07-2018, 04:30:46 PM   #8
eacmen

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3AZ View Post
Are you sure those aren't the options for the single tests under F1? Similar options appear for the MK60, but they are not for bleeding the brakes.
The Activate menu only has the single test and continuous test options I think. There is no specific bleed options like in that video with the MK60. When people jump the relay are they activating the "preload pump" or "return line pump"?

Quote:
The INPA brake bleeding is a bit temperamental. I tried dozens of times and it kept giving me the error that the brake pedal wasn't depressed at least 80%. I came back the next day and a few tries later it decided to work.

For what it's worth, I don't think you really need INPA to bleed your brakes unless you've swapped out the pump.
That is what alot of people have said and I tend to agree. But letting the MC run dry makes me a bit concerned and I want to do as complete of a job as possible.

It would also be nice to figure this out for other MK20 users on here. I found the following diagram in a pdf:

I am inclined to think based on that diagram that:

PRELOAD VALVE (diagram) == ASC/DSC valve(front/rear)
CHANGEOVER VALVE (diagram) == Activate DSC cut off valve (front/rear)
CHARGE PUMP (diagram) == Preload Pump

but that is more of an intuition than anything. It seems to me that doing a bleed would require activating the Preload Pump and ASC/DSC valve for the axle you are bleeding. But Maybe just the pump is good enough? Since the inlet valve is in a naturally open state ("activating" it should close it).
Old Sun, Nov-18-2018, 02:28:01 PM   #9
robgill
I'd rather be at the track.

In the garage:

United States

Quick update, I was able to get INPA to activate the ABS using a different cable and the following steps: F3 -> Chassis -> ASC/DSC -> Hold brake pedal and active.

My '02 E46M Build Thread
Jump to top robgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Nov-18-2018, 05:04:27 PM   #10
eacmen

United States

Quote:
Quick update, I was able to get INPA to activate the ABS using a different cable and the following steps: F3 -> Chassis -> ASC/DSC -> Hold brake pedal and active.

Yeah I originally had trouble with my eBay cable talking to the MK20 then I soldered two pins together and it started working great.

@robgill are you using the "ABS Simulation" option?

Are you cracking bleed screw while doing that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk