BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006) > Coding and Tuning
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Coding and Tuning Discuss all avenues of coding and tuning here!

Old Sat, Nov-10-2018, 08:07:37 PM   #1
dutchhome

In the garage:

United States

Default Is the R270+ still the best option for virginizing clusters

I've talked myself into virginizing 3 clusters. One from an early 2001, a 2003.5, and a 2005 (all 6MT M3 clusters). I've been trying to read up on everything I need to learn and buy but I haven't actually spent any money yet. Is the R270+ still the recommended programmer? Is it true that soldering to the back of the cluster using the points/pins documented elsewhere will work erasing all of the EEPROMS I'm likely to find when I open these clusters (even the protected sections)? Or will I need to remove the V6 variant to erase it out of circuit?

Also, is it possible to guess which chips are likely to be found in these clusters? Is it possible to figure out what chips they are when dumping them via PASoft? Or does it even matter?

With no other feedback my plan was to buy the programmer off eBay - there is a single seller who has guaranteed 3 day priority shipping. It's a bit more expensive than some of the dedicated web sites that sell this stuff but still cheap enough that it doesn't matter. I'm under the impression that xprog works directly with the R270 and all I need to do is wire up to the points documented online (2 different set of points depending on manufacturer) and it will erase in circuit. I dump the contents first, erase, then either manually modify the dump and program it back or set the VIN with PASoft and let the car update the mileage. Then follow up with NCS Expert to finish any coding I want to do.

Does it sound like I've digested the steps properly? Am I missing something? Ultimately I'd like to order everything I'm going to need now so I'm ready to give it a go next weekend. I have a bench setup so I won't have to worry about running out to the car.

Thanks in advance!
Jump to top dutchhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Nov-13-2018, 04:11:38 AM   #2
jozy

Hong Kong

Default Re: Is the R270+ still the best option for virginizing clusters

they're not expensive anyway. my experience with r270+ in circuit has been positive bar one late e46 m3 cluster where the last byte on the mileage cannot seem to be edited
Jump to top jozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Nov-13-2018, 12:29:55 PM   #3
dutchhome

In the garage:

United States

Thanks jozy. Am I right thinking that the xprog software works with the R270+? I got that impression during my research but I don't remember it being explicitly stated.
Old Tue, Nov-13-2018, 03:26:40 PM   #4
nextelbuddy1

United States

best of luck with this. I have been telling myself I was going to get the R270+ as well and have several sites saved that talk about what to do but info is scattered, links are broken and pics are missing etc...I was hoping to replace chips with blank ones but your method you suggest of:

dumping chip contents, erasing the chip and then manually setting the VIN with PASoft, flashing defaults with NCS Expert, and then letting the Mileage sync with the LCM and system sounds good too.

i will be following your thread with your updates for more info hopefully.
Old Sun, Nov-18-2018, 12:56:53 PM   #5
dutchhome

In the garage:

United States

So my R270+ arrived yesterday. I removed the back of my spare cluster and it's clear that I need to get smaller wire in order to solder to individual pins on that chip on the back of the cluster.

I tried locating the pictures showing the proper locations to solder to but for the life of me I can no longer find them. Will someone please post them or send me a link?

By the way, there is a lot of talk online about not being able to source quality M35080V6 blank EEPROMs. There is an eBay seller in France who seems to have them in stock. They are sold in different quantities so search his store for more options. It's still not obvious if this is the chip I would need so I'm not ordering them yet. I still hope to erase mine in circuit. Anyway, in case you do want to order some:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F221845073141
Old Sun, Nov-18-2018, 02:01:10 PM   #6
dutchhome

In the garage:

United States

I knew I would find it after I publicly asked for help

Anyway, here is the post I was thinking of: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...E46-M3-cluster

Here is the picture of the solder points (Thanks Terraphantm!):
Old Wed, Nov-21-2018, 11:34:05 PM   #7
dutchhome

In the garage:

United States

After about an hour I now have 2 of the pins soldered. This is a royal pita! I'm using 38 gauge winding wire and using kapton tape to hold the wires while I press into the wire at the pin to attach it.

I do prep the wire first and ensure I have removed the coating and put a small amount of solder on the ends. I'll improve my technique by the time I'm done and should hopefully be able to do this quicker in the future.

Please let me know if you have any comments on how to do this better.
Old Thu, Nov-22-2018, 12:42:50 AM   #8
dutchhome

In the garage:

United States

So the inevitable happened... I shorted two pins on that big IC and can't find my wick. I'm too scared to use my solder sucker on something so delicate so I'll have to wait until Friday to continue.
Old Thu, Nov-22-2018, 01:00:23 AM   #9
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Ha yeah, it can be pretty tough, especially those two pins that are right next to each other. Could be worse though. Once after hooking everything up and getting ready to program, I absent mindedly picked up my laptop with the USB cable still attached to the programmer and ripped off most of the solder points.
Old Thu, Nov-22-2018, 07:08:04 AM   #10
jozy

Hong Kong

so maybe better to remove the needles instead and go direct onto the chip?
Jump to top jozy is offline   Reply With Quote