BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Mar-15-2018, 08:46:45 PM   #831
alexM3Chicago

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: The Official E46 M3 Oil Analysis Results Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrookedCommie View Post
I put in new WPC bearings, using LM, and I'm seeing similar #'s.

Yeah I feel like if I replace them now itd be too soon. Ill wait until the next oil change and analysis to figure out whether or not to swap them out. Though if my copper reading was high as well, Id be pulling the engine apart as we speak lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Build Journal: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=564786

2004 BMW M3 - Alpine White - Cinnamon - 6 Speed Manual

Build Journal: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=598904
Jump to top alexM3Chicago is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Mar-16-2018, 03:59:23 PM   #832
bimmerfan08

In the garage:

United States

Haven't really driven the M3 much and therefore don't have a lot of miles on my latest oil submission, but I hit a year since the last oil change so I was due. Wear looks good with new bearings. Copper is slightly up though?

Attached Images
File Type: png bimmerfan08 Oil Analysis 3-15-18.png (134.4 KB, 18 views)

"The most difficult part of figuring out a car, the engineering, has been done. Repairs and maintenance are simply taking parts apart and putting them back together again." - bimmerfan08

Last edited by bimmerfan08; Fri, Mar-16-2018 at 04:04:21 PM.
Jump to top bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-16-2018, 07:54:23 PM   #833
M3_Pilot

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
Haven't really driven the M3 much and therefore don't have a lot of miles on my latest oil submission, but I hit a year since the last oil change so I was due. Wear looks good with new bearings. Copper is slightly up though?

It's probably from another copper component in the engine. If you just changed your bearings and lead is showing zero. The copper can't be coming from the bearings. Or am I missing something?

2004 Jet Black/Cinnamon 6MT
Jump to top M3_Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Mar-17-2018, 04:22:45 AM   #834
kjsgadh

In the garage:

United States

Hi All,

Just got my very first BlackStone Oil Analysis results back and I am very concerned with the numbers. (Report Attached)

Mainly Lead/Iron/Copper are high. Lead specifically, there is only one other person that I found in this thread (last 15 or so pages) with a higher lead count than me. I do not plan on driving the car any longer until I can get some more info.

The last oil was from BMW, which did seems a bit thinner than the usual Castrol TWS 10w60. The car does see some heavy acceleration fairly regularly. I was told in the PPI when I bought the car (@27K miles in Oct 2012) that the rod bearing recall was done. Car has a prod date of 07/2004.

Car is closing in on 87K miles now. Current oil that is in the car is LM GT1 10w60, with this additive: Tribotex (https://shop.tribotex.com/). Have not yet had a chance to look at all their testing reports, may well be snake oil.

My questions is, given the numbers, is it even suggested to take the risk of starting the car long enough to warm it and do an oil change/send another sample ?

Also, is there a way I can find out exactly when the rod bearing recall was done on this car before? And which shops would someone suggest in the Northern VA area to undertake this task? I do not have a garage anymore, so I cannot even think about attempting this myself.

TIA.
Attached Images
File Type: png 20180316_230516.png (659.3 KB, 50 views)
Jump to top kjsgadh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Mar-17-2018, 04:46:45 PM   #835
dkl

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexM3Chicago View Post
Yeah I feel like if I replace them now itd be too soon. Ill wait until the next oil change and analysis to figure out whether or not to swap them out. Though if my copper reading was high as well, Id be pulling the engine apart as we speak lol

You don't always get elevated copper readings even when your bearings are showing copper! See my bearing change and oil analysis thread here => http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1461006

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjsgadh View Post
Hi All,

Just got my very first BlackStone Oil Analysis results back and I am very concerned with the numbers. (Report Attached)

Mainly Lead/Iron/Copper are high. Lead specifically, there is only one other person that I found in this thread (last 15 or so pages) with a higher lead count than me. I do not plan on driving the car any longer until I can get some more info.

The last oil was from BMW, which did seems a bit thinner than the usual Castrol TWS 10w60. The car does see some heavy acceleration fairly regularly. I was told in the PPI when I bought the car (@27K miles in Oct 2012) that the rod bearing recall was done. Car has a prod date of 07/2004.

Car is closing in on 87K miles now. Current oil that is in the car is LM GT1 10w60, with this additive: Tribotex (https://shop.tribotex.com/). Have not yet had a chance to look at all their testing reports, may well be snake oil.

My questions is, given the numbers, is it even suggested to take the risk of starting the car long enough to warm it and do an oil change/send another sample ?

Also, is there a way I can find out exactly when the rod bearing recall was done on this car before? And which shops would someone suggest in the Northern VA area to undertake this task? I do not have a garage anymore, so I cannot even think about attempting this myself.

TIA.
IMHO, even if the bearings were recalled at 27K, you have put more than 60K on the current bearings, which is about their lifespan. If you take a look at the link I had provided above, there are quite a few people showing bad bearing wears under 60K miles. For the peace of mind, I would just change them out rather than risking engine damage. What are you going to gain by starting it it up and/or get another oil analysis?
Old Sun, Mar-18-2018, 12:35:13 AM   #836
M3_Pilot

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjsgadh View Post
Hi All,

TIA.
Liqui Moli GT1 is legit stuff. I wouldn't worry about it affecting accelerated wear. Your copper count was not higher than mine and I ended up changing mine. My copper was 22 ppm and my lead was 30 ppm iirc. That was with 135k miles on the bearings. I created a thread from when I changed my bearings and pictures of my bearings are in there if you'd like to take a look at them. I'd still drive it if I were you. But that's just me.

2004 Jet Black/Cinnamon 6MT
Jump to top M3_Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Mar-18-2018, 01:29:59 AM   #837
grannyknot

Canada

kjsgadh, you have to ask yourself where is all that copper, lead and iron coming from if not from the bearings? Sounds like you haven't spun a bearing yet so the fix is still pretty straight forward, just replace the bearing shells. If you wait till you hear Whump Whump
the repair is going to cost you a lot more.
Jump to top grannyknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Mar-18-2018, 04:38:43 PM   #838
alexM3Chicago

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrookedCommie View Post
I put in new WPC bearings, using LM, and I'm seeing similar #'s.

Yeah Im going to wait until the next analysis to see what the numbers read and if theyre down for lead I may push changing the bearings for a couple of months. I think the numbers I got were pretty good for not knowing the cars past prior to 147k once I bought it. Id love to be able to get into contact with the PO but its tough finding out that kind of info from a car that was bought at an auction. The engine looks and sounds amazing. No rattles, no weird oil puddles after it sits and no obvious signs of neglect. The valve cover gasket looks brand new so the PO may have even taken care of the vanos as well but thatd be a long shot. The car looked relatively well taken care of tbh aside from bushings and the such. Maybe Im just hoping for the best but who knows. I wish there was a way to find out if the bearings and vanos were changed without having to tear into the motor.

Build Journal: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=564786

2004 BMW M3 - Alpine White - Cinnamon - 6 Speed Manual

Build Journal: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=598904
Jump to top alexM3Chicago is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Mar-18-2018, 11:56:10 PM   #839
CrookedCommie
Captain Slow

In the garage:

Bulgaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexM3Chicago View Post
Yeah I’m going to wait until the next analysis to see what the numbers read and if they’re down for lead I may push changing the bearings for a couple of months. I think the numbers I got were pretty good for not knowing the cars past prior to 147k once I bought it. I’d love to be able to get into contact with the PO but it’s tough finding out that kind of info from a car that was bought at an auction. The engine looks and sounds amazing. No rattles, no weird oil puddles after it sits and no obvious signs of neglect. The valve cover gasket looks brand new so the PO may have even taken care of the vanos as well but that’d be a long shot. The car looked relatively well taken care of tbh aside from bushings and the such. Maybe I’m just hoping for the best but who knows. I wish there was a way to find out if the bearings and vanos were changed without having to tear into the motor.

Just did an oil change, old LM is going off to Blackstone and engine is full of fresh Total Quartz Racing. I'll update in the thread when I get the results back. Should be interesting, I beat the piss out of the car and logged 15 track days on this oil sample.

Last edited by CrookedCommie; Mon, Mar-19-2018 at 12:07:59 AM.
Jump to top CrookedCommie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-20-2018, 03:04:37 PM   #840
kjsgadh

In the garage:

United States

Thanks for all the input guys. My engine has been running flawlessly, no weird sounds or anything. I am taking y'all's advice to heart though and haven't touched the car at all. As much as I am confident that one or two more runs won't ruin anything, there is too much on the line to risk it.

I would like some info on local shops that might do a good job and not gouge me. I am located in the Northern VA Area. I am thinking since the car will be in the shop I might have them take care of some other stuff like Vanos as well, while I am at it, just don't want to get charged an arm and a leg.

I am not too far from RRT but their rates are super high. Any other suggestions would be welcome. Also, what kind of replacement bearings should I pick. If my bearings only lasted 60K ish miles, that does not sound very promising for OEM bearings considering that for the last 5.5 years oil changes were performed with good quality oil and filters and other maintenance was done well as well, car was never abused unless nice and warm. Would someone here have the ability to look up when exactly my bearing recall was performed, just to get more info on the longevity of OEM ones.

I was already considering getting a DD car, and now that plan has gotten accelerated.

Thanks in advance.

--Kiran.
Jump to top kjsgadh is offline   Reply With Quote