BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Sep-20-2017, 01:50:17 AM   #741
M3_Pilot

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: The Official E46 M3 Oil Analysis Results Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxnguyen View Post
Just recently picked up an 04 m3. First day I owned it I did the oil change and analysis. This is what I got. Thoughts? I've since babied the car since getting the results back (driven slow and under 4k) and I am about to come close to the 1k mark and getting the oil sent in again. Is it possible the elevated levels are from an oil additive? Will post analysis when I get the oil results back.
Your copper and lead levels are exceptionally high; If you are sure your car has no additives I would not risk driving your car any longer.

2004 Jet Black/Cinnamon 6MT
Jump to top M3_Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Sep-20-2017, 03:23:50 AM   #742
Dr M3an M3
GroupBuyingPower@outlook. com

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Just recently picked up an 04 m3. First day I owned it I did the oil change and analysis. This is what I got. Thoughts? I've since babied the car since getting the results back (driven slow and under 4k) and I am about to come close to the 1k mark and getting the oil sent in again. Is it possible the elevated levels are from an oil additive? Will post analysis when I get the oil results back.

Not to be alarming, but those might be the highest values of both Lead and Copper in this entire 75 page thread (iirc). Any idea when the last time the oil was changed? Maybe it is the case that the PO has neglected an oil change or 2? I hope things look better on your next analysis. Keep us updated on your findings please. How many miles are on your car (I didn't see it in your post or analysis). Honestly, I'd go ahead and plan on doing rod bearings soon and possibly not driving it until then, depending on the next set of results you have.

Lead is 31.5 TIMES higher than universal averages and Copper is 7.75 TIMES higher than universal averages. Iron is also twice as high as average.

How is the overall condition of everything else on the car? Did it come with many service records? Any driving issues?

Sorry for the less than great news.

Mods: Genuine OE CSL Bumper, Karbonius CSL Airbox, OE CSL Snorkel w/ working Flap, OE Map Sensor + OE Air Rail, Paul Claude Custom Tune, CSL Engine management with CSL converted DME, Supersprint V1 Stepped Headers w/ Oversized Catless section 1, SS 2.5" Twin-Piped Oversized section 2, Rogue Engineering Muffler (soon to be switched), WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS lockdown, BBS LMs w/ PSS, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune.
Active Group-Buys (PM if Interested): OE CSL Bootlids, Supersprint Headers/Exhaust MEGA thread, New Supersprint Oversized Twin-Piped Section 2 ...and more to come!
Please PM me - In search of: Nothing at the moment.

Last edited by Dr M3an M3; Wed, Sep-20-2017 at 04:11:44 AM.
Jump to top Dr M3an M3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Sep-20-2017, 04:06:30 AM   #743
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Yeah with those numbers, I'd be changing the bearings yesterday. Run the new sample and if the number are still high, just bite the bullet and do it.
Old Wed, Sep-20-2017, 08:27:21 AM   #744
jxnguyen

In the garage:

United States

I really appreciate the quick response! Just some background information. I just recently purchased the m3 from an older gentleman that knew the m3 was a special car, but didn't know too much other than that. I purchased it with 106k miles and its in decent overall condition. I did get a PPI done at a reputable independent BMW shop and everything checked out okay. I only did the oil analysis just to see the overall health of the engine and for piece of mind to see how the rod bearing condition was. I thought I was in the clear since it was a late model 04+. Luckily I did the oil analysis and I got these extremely high numbers. I only suggest that there is an oil additive due to what black stone said in their comment. The day I got the oil analysis results I hoped on to the group buy for the WPC rod bearings/bolts. I have roughly another 100ish miles before I hit another 1k miles to get the oil tested again. I figure if these values are really this high I'm already screwed as far as the condition of the rod bearing journals so what is another 1k miles. Hopefully this is not the case though. Again, the car is in good condition and I'm hoping its just the fact the previous owner didn't change the oil and used an oil additive. Its been an antagonizing 1k miles. I can count on a single hand how many times I've taken it to redline and this was only when I first test drove the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_Pilot View Post
Your copper and lead levels are exceptionally high; If you are sure your car has no additives I would not risk driving your car any longer.
I only suggest that there is an oil additive due to what black stone said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr M3an M3 View Post
Not to be alarming, but those might be the highest values of both Lead and Copper in this entire 75 page thread (iirc). Any idea when the last time the oil was changed? Maybe it is the case that the PO has neglected an oil change or 2? I hope things look better on your next analysis. Keep us updated on your findings please. How many miles are on your car (I didn't see it in your post or analysis). Honestly, I'd go ahead and plan on doing rod bearings soon and possibly not driving it until then, depending on the next set of results you have.

Lead is 31.5 TIMES higher than universal averages and Copper is 7.75 TIMES higher than universal averages. Iron is also twice as high as average.

How is the overall condition of everything else on the car? Did it come with many service records? Any driving issues?

Sorry for the less than great news.
It is alarming, my heart dropped when I got the oil analysis results back. I didn't get much information from the previous owner. I'm hoping its just the fact the previous owner didn't change the oil and used an oil additive. I purchased the car with 106k miles. Overall the condition of the car is pretty decent. I've had two reputable independent BMW shops look at the car. (PPI). The car has no driving issues, no noise (I'm thinking there should be if these levels really are this high).

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
Yeah with those numbers, I'd be changing the bearings yesterday. Run the new sample and if the number are still high, just bite the bullet and do it.
As soon as I hit the 1k mark I'm parking the m3 and getting the oil analyzed. If the results come back high its getting new WPC rod bearings/bolts the day I receive them from the group buy.
Jump to top jxnguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Sep-20-2017, 11:17:23 AM   #745
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

The journals likely aren't screwed until the bearing spins, which you may be single digit miles away from.

I would park the car. If you're not DIYing the rod bearing change, I'd tow it to the shop doing it. I would not continue to drive in any style.

If you want to do another oil analysis before changing them, do it now with however many miles you have-- stop driving. Stop.

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon, and some boring stuff
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Sep-20-2017, 01:16:35 PM   #746
TheSt|G
Resident Curmudgeon

In the garage:

Isle of Man

Just to add, changing the bearings at 100k is not out of the norm.

And yes, stop driving now.
Sold - '13 WRB BRZ Limited 6MT
Sold - '03 Lemans on Lemans E39 M5 6MT
Sold - '99 Kosmos-Schwarzes E36 5MT M3 Coupe
Jump to top TheSt|G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Sep-20-2017, 01:47:28 PM   #747
nuc1
Meh

United States

Quote:
I have roughly another 100ish miles before I hit another 1k miles to get the oil tested again. I figure if these values are really this high I'm already screwed as far as the condition of the rod bearing journals so what is another 1k miles. Hopefully this is not the case though.
As already said, you could be an engine start away from a spun bearing. And the journals are most likely fine right now.

Stop driving the car. Why risk it for a round number for an oil analysis?????

Mike

18 Acura MDX White/Black Family Truckster

11 Tundra Super White/Black Actual Truckster
Jump to top nuc1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Sep-21-2017, 03:29:54 AM   #748
jxnguyen

In the garage:

United States

Thanks everybody who chimed in. Took everyones advice into consideration and parked the car. Changed the oil and sent the oil out for analysis will post results when I get them.
Old Thu, Sep-21-2017, 03:30:50 AM   #749
jxnguyen

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuc1 View Post
As already said, you could be an engine start away from a spun bearing. And the journals are most likely fine right now.

Stop driving the car. Why risk it for a round number for an oil analysis?????

Mike
It was what was suggested by black stone. They suggested the higher numbers may be from an oil additive (it had other high levels other than just copper and lead)
Old Thu, Sep-21-2017, 02:18:43 PM   #750
TheSt|G
Resident Curmudgeon

In the garage:

Isle of Man

Quote:
It was what was suggested by black stone. They suggested the higher numbers may be from an oil additive (it had other high levels other than just copper and lead)
The risk of testing that is a wrecked engine.
Sold - '13 WRB BRZ Limited 6MT
Sold - '03 Lemans on Lemans E39 M5 6MT
Sold - '99 Kosmos-Schwarzes E36 5MT M3 Coupe
Jump to top TheSt|G is offline   Reply With Quote