BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Mon, Feb-06-2017, 12:12:15 AM   #1
TheWarHammer

United States

Default Is my luck just this bad?

Hey guys, Im making this thread to get honest opinions of what everyone thinks could be happening here. I believe I know what it is but id like to see what other have to say, many people giving their opinions on something is not always a bad thing.

So my car barely ever gets driven, it sits around most of the time as I don't have much time to use it. About 6 months ago, i noticed my expansion tank leaking at the seams, it started out as small then got worse. I pulled a tank off of my other car and threw it on there. It was ok for a little while and then boom, same thing happened at the same spot. I figured ok, maybe my luck is just terrible and I'm being punished for not driving my car. Got one from a neighbor to throw in (i planned on getting the bimmerworld aluminum one anyway). So i throw this one in along with a motorsport t stat and a few other things. Bleed the system and it all seems good. The other day i go to pull the car out of its dark hole at my shop and let it run for a little while. Im sitting in the car with the hood open letting it idle and i hear a pop. I go under the hood and would you believe it? Another one down. This time in a different spot. So now, Im a little concerned. So lets hear what you guys have to say.

Engine is completely refreshed and it is a track car although no track time on engine/car since i built it. I know all 3 tanks were used but come on, the car was just sitting. Its not like the car was out on the track 10 times this year. It barely left the garage since it was put together. Maybe 300-400 miles or so.

So, lets hear what you guys think.

Picture of the dumpster in question.

Last edited by TheWarHammer; Mon, Feb-06-2017 at 12:23:48 AM.
Jump to top TheWarHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Feb-06-2017, 12:31:24 AM   #2

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Is my luck just this bad?

I'm sure this is probably what you're thinking and not what you want to hear but sounds like the head gasket. When the head gasket went on my e36 (still don't know why, didn't overheat) it was pressurizing the cooling system every time it ran and when I'd open the cap cold it would let off a bunch of pressure. Only thing that seems weird is I thought the expansion tanks were suppose to bleed off pressure after a certain point so they don't just explode.

Engine: Karbonius CSL airbox, Lang Racing stage 2.5 head, Schrick 288/280 cams & followers, Lang Racing rod journal widening kit w/ CP 12:1 87.5mm pistons & Carrillo rods, ARP head studs, Epic Motorsports tune, TMS Power Pulleys, ECS catch can, Supersprint V1 stepped headers & section 1, SGT scza section 3.
Drivetrain: Clutch Masters FX725, Clutch Masters Hydraulic TB, AKG stage II shifter, RE trans mounts, Motorsport 4.10 R&P, Revshift 80A diff bushings, mason clutch pedal.
Suspension/Brakes: Bilstein PSS9's, RE RSM's, UUC sway bars, PFC direct drive rotors, PFC 08's, Nitto NT05's, Motorsport Hardware 75mm stud kit.
Coming soon: Cobra Nogaro seats, Supersprint dual 2.5" section 2, RTD V2 mini shifter, BW Street/Track rear camber arms, Turner monoball RTAB's.

IG: Zach_e46M
Jump to top . is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Feb-06-2017, 01:26:17 AM   #3
SeanE46

In the garage:

Armenia

"Picture of the dumpster"

But you should check for exhaust gases in the coolant/ compression/ and check for milky oil
Jump to top SeanE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Feb-06-2017, 01:26:25 AM   #4
ThunderMoose

In the garage:

United States

Head gasket or water pump/thermostat.

#67 2017 NASA TX TT3 Champion

FLMS Half Cage, RaceTech 4009HR drivers seat, Schroth 6-Pt Harness, E.S.S. Fire System, AIM SOLO DL with ECU Harness, SmartyCam, Angle Aluminum with VAC dead pedal, Sparco Steering Wheel on MOMO hub, MCS Suspension, Hyperco 800F 900R springs, Hotchkis Front and Rear Sway bars, Vorshlag Camber Plates, Turner ARCA, AJ Hartman Front Splitter, BW V2 Wing, BW CF Rear Diffuser, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Brembo BBK Front, Carbon Fiber Roof, CF Headlight Blanks, Door Windows and Cards Delete, TMS rear and front subframe reinforcement, Zionsville Competition Cooler, BW Oil Cooler, Oil Diverter Valve, Motorsports Thermostat, Evolve CF Intake, Epic Stepped Headers, Turner Pulleys, BW 3.5" Race Exhaust, EPIC Alpha N Tune, Beisan Oil Disk and Vanos Seals, ZF 5MT, CAE Ultra Shifter

My track journal: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=509148
Jump to top ThunderMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Feb-06-2017, 01:38:06 AM   #5
CrookedCommie
Captain Slow

In the garage:

Bulgaria

Are you reusing the same cap? Could be the cap isn't venting.
Jump to top CrookedCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Feb-06-2017, 01:46:59 AM   #6
Vmals89

In the garage:

United States

OEM radiator or aftermarket?
Old Mon, Feb-06-2017, 01:48:38 AM   #7
stash1

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrookedCommie View Post
Ahhh, you beat me to it...check to make sure your cap/vent hose is clear. If not that, then something obviously is pressurizing your cooking system/expansion tank. Remove the cap (when the engine is cold) and rev the engine to see if any coolant shoots out.
Old Mon, Feb-06-2017, 02:44:46 AM   #8
TheWarHammer

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmals89 View Post
OEM radiator or aftermarket?
Oem but new one is on the way.
Old Mon, Feb-06-2017, 02:47:04 AM   #9
TheWarHammer

United States

To answer everyone, I have changed the caps as well. Car shows no signs of any issues whatsoever. No mixing of any kind. Compression test is strong and within 5%. No smoke or anything.

I guess I'll just say what I thought and it was exactly what everyone is saying, headgasket allowing gases into coolant, over pressurizing and that's the result.

Has anyone on here ever went through this like this?
Old Mon, Feb-06-2017, 02:47:40 AM   #10
TheWarHammer

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrookedCommie View Post
I changed the cap every time bro, I don't get it. Lol