BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Aug-18-2010, 11:24:06 PM   #1
mpanella
I live for ///M

United States

Default Easy exhaust Hanger fix

So my rubber exhausts hangers have been breaking quite frequently lately (especially the passenger side one) so I decided to investigate and see how I could possibly fix the problem!

So I went out and purchased a new hanger (At 79 dollars a pop WAY OVER PRICED) and tried a few simple things!

I have a AA gen 6 exhaust and fitment is right on but I noticed a few things!

The all too fimiliar broken hanger!

After just 5 months of holding up that (in my experience light exhaust this is what it looked like)

So I decided to try to use a standard metal washer and sandwitch it in between the bracket on the exhaust and the grommet on the rubber hanger to try to ensure that the hanger is really at 90% so that there is no unessesary force on it! Also I thought that maybe when the car yaws and pitches on bumpy roads that that two mm's of washer would be just enough to keep the weight of the exhaust evenly distributed through the three hangers so that none will break! It seems too simple to be true but the shock absorbing diamonds in the hanger seem to be more relaxed when the grommet is in place! I will repost in a few weeks and see if I have the breaking problem again hopefully this will just be enough to do the trick!

I know this is quite a write up for a washer but it does seem to be a problem and an expensive one also!

You can clearly see the washer giving it just enough space!
Jump to top mpanella is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Dec-16-2011, 11:00:00 PM   #2
AngE46

United States

Default Re: Easy exhaust Hanger fix

Ima try that I just ordered a new hanger
Jump to top AngE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Dec-16-2011, 11:18:52 PM   #3
sullybmwm3

United States

Ive seen people take the mount and pour silicone into the empty spaces. It still moves, but the hanger doesn't break at its weak points.
Jump to top sullybmwm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Dec-16-2011, 11:47:27 PM   #4
AngE46

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullycrx View Post
Ive seen people take the mount and pour silicone into the empty spaces. It still moves, but the hanger doesn't break at its weak points.
really.. any certain type of silicone? im definitely going to do that as well i cant stand people telling me my exhaust is bouncing around
Jump to top AngE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Dec-17-2011, 12:18:57 AM   #5
gleech

In the garage:

Philippines

Quote:
this is what I did on mine, but I didn't use silicone, I used the brand dymonic, which is a little more harder than silicone when it is cured....lucky me, I have access to all of this caulking products at work....

SuperSprint V2 headers, CP cats rasp killer, Scorza muffler, Frank Smith custom Alpha-N tune, Repoman CSL airbox
TMS subframe reinforcement kit
GC trackschool kit - 525/545 lb springs, GC FCABs/Powerflex RTABs
OEM Nav, Bluetooth, Sirius, Intravee and Euro Mirror

CSL AIRBOX GROUP BUY: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=444943
Jump to top gleech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Dec-17-2011, 12:24:00 AM   #6
bmwJohhnyD
user formerly known as bmwbob

United Nations

Quote:
Originally Posted by gleech View Post
this is what I did on mine, but I didn't use silicone, I used the brand dymonic, which is a little more harder than silicone when it is cured....lucky me, I have access to all of this caulking products at work....
you have any pictures of this? did you just fill the space in?

all of those exhaust hangers from the ones in the center section to the really uber gay ones on the muffler are just pure crap...

i am really starting to question the legitimacy of bmw's engineering.

insert

Last edited by bmwJohhnyD; Sat, Dec-17-2011 at 12:27:39 AM.
Jump to top bmwJohhnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Dec-17-2011, 01:46:08 AM   #7
gleech

In the garage:

Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbob View Post
you have any pictures of this? did you just fill the space in?

all of those exhaust hangers from the ones in the center section to the really uber gay ones on the muffler are just pure crap...

i am really starting to question the legitimacy of bmw's engineering.

insert
I didn't have any pictures of it....but all I did was filled all the space except the top one....

SuperSprint V2 headers, CP cats rasp killer, Scorza muffler, Frank Smith custom Alpha-N tune, Repoman CSL airbox
TMS subframe reinforcement kit
GC trackschool kit - 525/545 lb springs, GC FCABs/Powerflex RTABs
OEM Nav, Bluetooth, Sirius, Intravee and Euro Mirror

CSL AIRBOX GROUP BUY: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=444943
Jump to top gleech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Dec-17-2011, 10:18:26 PM   #8
cntrvrsy

United Nations

Quote:
I've seen this tip posted on the forum a while back and had tried it as well with one of my hangers. But the tip was to use the same silicone/ sealant used for sealing the windshield in place.

sig engineered by Fcukupayme
Jump to top cntrvrsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Dec-17-2011, 12:23:24 AM   #9
bmwJohhnyD
user formerly known as bmwbob

United Nations

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpanella View Post
So my rubber exhausts hangers have been breaking quite frequently lately (especially the passenger side one) so I decided to investigate and see how I could possibly fix the problem!

So I went out and purchased a new hanger (At 79 dollars a pop WAY OVER PRICED) and tried a few simple things!

I have a AA gen 6 exhaust and fitment is right on but I noticed a few things!

The all too fimiliar broken hanger!

After just 5 months of holding up that (in my experience light exhaust this is what it looked like)

So I decided to try to use a standard metal washer and sandwitch it in between the bracket on the exhaust and the grommet on the rubber hanger to try to ensure that the hanger is really at 90% so that there is no unessesary force on it! Also I thought that maybe when the car yaws and pitches on bumpy roads that that two mm's of washer would be just enough to keep the weight of the exhaust evenly distributed through the three hangers so that none will break! It seems too simple to be true but the shock absorbing diamonds in the hanger seem to be more relaxed when the grommet is in place! I will repost in a few weeks and see if I have the breaking problem again hopefully this will just be enough to do the trick!

I know this is quite a write up for a washer but it does seem to be a problem and an expensive one also!

You can clearly see the washer giving it just enough space!

interesting post.. can you explain to me why you think the washer in between those two peices is going to help?

not trying to pick a fight but seriously just wondering...

i recently put a close to stock weight ss sport muffler back on my car and it seems that it moves around and wiggles all over the place.. and yes i am on my second set of hangers as well.
Jump to top bmwJohhnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Dec-17-2011, 12:48:41 AM   #10
Z3MCOUPE
Gort! Klaatu barada nikto.

United States

I just put 3 new hangers on my car after 100,00 miles. One was toast and the ther 2 were sorn.. fitment of the tips is very good now.

2000 Z3 MCoupe, '01 LSB E46 M3, '99 VW GTI VR6, '06 Audi A4 2.0T,
Andrew (camdinans3) '95 M3 Avus
Jump to top Z3MCOUPE is offline   Reply With Quote