BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Fri, Feb-15-2019, 04:33:24 PM   #31
M spec
Rembrandt Audio

Austria

Default Re: APEX Forged Wheels. It's Finally Happening...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
I'm not anti Apex-- my track wheels are 17" Apex ARC8s. I just want to know what the actual product offering here is, so educated purchasing decisions can be made.

Depending on the exchange rate with Japan at the time, GBs ranged from $2700 to $3800. And, yes.

PMing you.

What are the specs of the 17’s?

www.e46m3west.com/
Jump to top M spec is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Feb-15-2019, 04:39:36 PM   #32
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by M spec View Post
What are the specs of the 17’s?
10" et25 square.

They're the only track sized wheel I know of that clear the 355/4 brembos.

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon, and some boring stuff
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Feb-15-2019, 09:56:39 PM   #33
Eddy@ApexRaceParts
www.ApexRaceParts.com

United States

Quote:
Apex is so well respected and known now, did they really a need to do a lame teaser video?
Fair question/comment. We were stuck making a compromise. We had to choose between waiting longer to reveal it when we can really do justice to the new line, or giving people a little heads up that it's coming but not be able to reveal everything. Historically, when we release something new, recent customers get upset that we didn't give them a heads-up. They wish they could have purchased the new thing instead. Additionally, there are many people out there right now that are buying forged wheels from other brands that would have held off a bit if they knew we were about to offer a forged option too. Giving a teaser of what's coming soon gives those people the chance to hold back and wait for more info before they buy something else and regret it. The flipside of that coin is leaving people wanting more info. We believe it's way worse to have serious buyers remorse than the pain of having to wait to see more, so we made our choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FK View Post
Ahh happy I didn't pull the trigger on the 17's now. Do we have an ETA?
ETA's are a big part of what we're working on right now and what we will be communicating with our full reveal. You'll have to sit tight a little longer so we can address that fully as there are multiple dates.

Quote:
Oooh I can’t wait. Are those going to be all new designs or forged versions of current designs?
You'll have to wait and see. What would you prefer? We'll keep dropping clues before we lift the curtain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by breadvan
Forged in China or forged in Germany/Japan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban
what tonnage forge?
Great questions. We'll answer all of this when we officially release the line soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty
I'd also be curious as to what testing the wheels undergo/what standards they meet.
We'll have a lot of info for you on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneM3
Ok, I haven't heard that they were cracking, and they've been around a while now.
You haven't heard much because it's rare, and most are covered by our warranty. When there are issues, this community is vocal by nature. I don't think the community intended for you to avoid the wheels with their response to you. Instead, it was a clarification that they are definitely not indestructible, and we agree. If you dig around you will see reports of inner lip cracks. You are not going to hear about spoke cracks, which is a different ball game. Inner lip cracks happen on almost all wheels. It's very common on oem wheels, and you can find it on wheels from the most coveted brands too. The street beats up wheels way more than the track, and most people think it's the other way around. Although most would attest that our flow-formed line is very reliable, there are those who require even more durability and our forged line will offer that. For those that can't afford forged, our warranty and replacement program really does take away the worry. We'll be revealing details about our forged line that will help illustrate the differences between it and our existing line.

FYI, If the lip crack happens without an obvious impact mark, we warrant it no questions. If you curb a wheel or if you purposefully beat the shit out of it while jumping it out of a plane like in the Fast and the Furious movies, then we'll give you a 50% discount on a replacement. Honestly, I'd give you a free replacement if you jumped a car out of a plane as I'd be impressed. We'll clarify our replacement policy too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty
Also, Apex has a two year structural warranty, right? Does that cover you if your wheel cracks during normal street driving?
Our flow-formed wheels are currently 2 years for structural. This may be improved soon. We'll announce our Forged wheel policy at launch.

Yes, it's covered if we don't see signs of an excessive impact. Normal use means the driver still needs to avoiding unusually destructive objects and surfaces. We can't control the size and shape of the things a driver can hit, so if we can see that you did your job, we will take care of you. If there is a fat ding and paint missing from hitting an object in the road, or from hitting a deep pothole with really stretched tires then it's not covered. People will hit things so hard that metal is physically missing from a wheel and they will ask for warranty coverage. I believe we have a long history of treating customers very fairly and for going above and beyond.

Quote:
Apex: *posts teaser video*

People: *show interest and ask questions*

Apex: *just disappears*
Guilty. We posted in a lot of places and didn't have the bandwidth to come back in here until now.

| Eddy Pintacsi | ApexRaceParts.com | Facebook Fan Page | GroupBuyParts.com |

Last edited by Eddy@ApexRaceParts; Fri, Feb-15-2019 at 11:15:28 PM. Reason: spelling
Jump to top Eddy@ApexRaceParts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Feb-15-2019, 10:38:01 PM   #34

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy@ApexRaceParts View Post

You'll have to wait and see. What would you prefer? We'll keep dropping clues before we lift the curtain.
Both

Engine: Karbonius CSL airbox, Lang Racing stage 2.5 head, Schrick 288/280 cams & followers, Lang Racing rod journal widening kit w/ CP 12:1 87.5mm pistons & Carrillo rods, Kassel CSL DME & MAP conversion, Paul Claude tune, TMS Power Pulleys, SS V1 stepped headers & catless section 1, SS 2.5” twin-piped resonated section 2, SGT scza section 3.
Drivetrain: Clutch Masters FX725, Clutch Masters Hydraulic TB, RTD V2 mini shifter, RE trans mounts, Motorsport 4.10 R&P, Revshift 80A diff bushings.
Suspension/Brakes: Bilstein PSS9's, RE RSM's, UUC sway bars, ZCP rotors, BW solid caliper guide bushings, PFC 08's, Motorsport Hardware 75mm stud kit.
Interior: Cobra Nogaro seats, BMW Performance shift knob/e-brake/pedals, OE alcantara boots, mason clutch pedal, Xtrons 9" headunit w/ carplay

IG: Zach_e46M
Jump to top . is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Feb-15-2019, 10:46:37 PM   #35
Maxima SE
445 FTW

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
BBS are forged in Japan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by breadvan View Post
Yep, BBS forged wheels are made in Japan. The cast stuff, in Germany.
who makes them? Rays?

do you have a source for this info?

Jump to top Maxima SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Feb-15-2019, 11:40:53 PM   #36
breadvan

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxima SE View Post
who makes them? Rays?

do you have a source for this info?
Here you go young grasshopper. BBS Japan produces them.

https://www.bbs-usa.com/about/
BBS Japan - Takaoka City, Japan
Located in Takaoka-City, BBS Japan creates the forgings for all of our forged road and racing wheels. Hydraulic forging presses up to 9000 tons are used to produce the forgings that will become a BBS wheel. Back in 1983, this facility produced the die-forged "RS" design wheel that is still an icon today.

Classic BBS wheels like the LM, Super RS, LM-R, RS-GT and RG-R are designed and produced in this facility along with OEM products and a range of other aftermarket wheels.

https://bbs-japan.co.jp/en/craftsmanship/
BBS Japan was founded in 1983. Having succeeded in forging large beams used in industrial warp knitting machines, we asked ourselves whether we could forge the world’s finest aluminum wheels. As the industry pioneer, we became the first company in the world to produce forged aluminum wheels. At the time, forged aluminum wheels were a challenge to make, let alone produce commercially. When we succeeded in launching our ultra-lightweight, ultra-strong forged aluminum wheels with their slender and elegant cross spokes, we turned conventional wisdom on its head. Wheels are crucial to automotive safety, and the world would never look at wheel quality the same way again. Since then, BBS Japan has exclusively manufactured forged wheels, and we have continuously refined and expanded our technology base and our expertise.

https://bbs-japan.co.jp/en/about/
Started exclusive supply of forged magnesium F-1™ racing wheels to Ferrari.

Japan BBS successfully develops forged magnesium wheels that are about 20% lighter than conventional models.
Received exclusive three-year contract from Ferrari to supply forged magnesium wheels for F1™.

Started mass production of the LM wheels to supply the 24 hours of Le Mans endurance race.

Started supplying forged magnesium F-1™ racing wheels to other teams.

Started supplying racing wheels for major races in Japan and abroad including the German Touring Car Championship (DTM), 24 hours of Le Mans endurance race, Super GT, and Super Formula.
Michael Schumacher wins his first F1™ World Champion driving for the Benetton team equipped with BBS forged magnesium wheels.

Started mass production of the world's first forged extra super duralumin wheels.

Achieved the world's first forged extra super duralumin wheels using the JIS A-7000 series alloy typically used for aircraft structures by means of a unique heat treatment manufacturing process over a longer period of time than conventionally used.

Started mass production of forged magnesium wheels.

World's first forged magnesium F-1™ racing wheels achieved by BBS.
Coating performance enhanced using BBS's own heat treatment without compromising material strength and fatigue strength. Mass production successfully started.

Last edited by breadvan; Fri, Feb-15-2019 at 11:47:58 PM.
Jump to top breadvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Feb-16-2019, 12:02:34 AM   #37
Smoove1

United States

I hope they're not ugly. That font choice for the word "forged" has me a bit concerned. I can't bring myself to buy a set of Titan7s. Their wheel designs are better suited for newer cars. I'm looking forward to the new stuff they're coming out with though. The TE:AL wheels from bimmerworld have been pretty lack luster.

If Apex does these as a forged version of the EC7 or ARC8 I'm in. I really need a second set of track wheel. Otherwise, I'll just keep saving for a set of E88s

My Build Thread
Jump to top Smoove1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Feb-16-2019, 01:45:48 AM   #38
E30toF30

Canada

Am I the only one that thinks money is probably better spent on forged wheels for the street and flow formed for the track?

Hmmm....

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Jump to top E30toF30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Feb-16-2019, 03:29:47 AM   #39
OneFastSicilian
Frankie

In the garage:

Italy

I’m excited about this.... but not. There’s so many options for forged wheels and they’re all in the same price range 2k+. I always loved the ARC8s but like others have said, they crack easily which is why I upgraded to TE37s.

I would love a 2 or 3 piece wheel that’s affordable for track.

Previous:
  • 01 - AW/IR - Sold
  • 03.5 - IR/Impulse - Sold
  • 02 - TiAg/Blk - Sold
  • 05 - IB/Blk ZCP - Sold
  • 02 - LSB/Blk - Sold
  • 05 - SG/Blk - Current!
Check out my Journal!

*Instagram*
@_Frank_Stone_
Jump to top OneFastSicilian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Feb-16-2019, 04:55:41 AM   #40
Speed Monkey
Bananas, Just Bananas

United States

Hey Eddy@ApexRaceParts - These forged wheels that will be introduced, will the 18 and 19 inch wheels clear 15 inch diameter rotors, and the chunky 6 piston Brembo caliper, on cars with this BBK? Thanks.
Jump to top Speed Monkey is online now   Reply With Quote