BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006) > Coding and Tuning
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Coding and Tuning Discuss all avenues of coding and tuning here!

Old Mon, Nov-20-2017, 04:24:37 PM   #111
nextelbuddy1

United States

Default Re: Converting an MSS54HP into an MSS54HP CSL (H-bridge)

i was able to get the removed photobucket pictures from the mobile version of the site and rehost them on my flicker with unlimited storage. I plugged in the rehosted images into the proper spot.

I am looking forward to trying to get this to work following these directions. Thank you NZ_M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ_M3 View Post
As sort of a continuation of the above posts from NickG and Terra I thought I'd do a quick write up on how to flash the files Terra modified for this purpose using WINKFP Expert Mode:

This is assuming you have a correctly loaded WINKFP (i.e. working in comfort mode) and is reasonably proficient in what to do with loading files in WINKFP.

1. Go to Import, Data/Program/BSU NAAB files
1 by Shawn Robertson, on Flickr

2. Select the files Terra provided (or simply put them in the data/mss54 folder and import the lot)
2 by Shawn Robertson, on Flickr

3. Proof the DME I am using isn't a CSL one but a normal HP DME (or in this case a converted HP DME)
3 by Shawn Robertson, on Flickr

4. Go to Expert mode and load the correct files
4 by Shawn Robertson, on Flickr

7 by Shawn Robertson, on Flickr

8 by Shawn Robertson, on Flickr

5. You will get this error because the DME isn't a CSL one with CSL hardware number or boot sector offset. Just ignore it and click ok, as what you are doing next is flashing the program file provided by Terra with the modifications done to allow it to flash CSL program.
5 by Shawn Robertson, on Flickr

6. Click prog. Program once you have the correct files setup
6 by Shawn Robertson, on Flickr

9 by Shawn Robertson, on Flickr

7. Enter VIN number
10 by Shawn Robertson, on Flickr

8. It will tell you it can be programmed X number of times
11 by Shawn Robertson, on Flickr

9 Begin flashing the modified CSL program
15 by Shawn Robertson, on Flickr

10. Once done flash the modified CSL Data provided by Terra
13 by Shawn Robertson, on Flickr

11. If done correctly you will see the correct CSL software (7837331) number in INPA
16 by Shawn Robertson, on Flickr

12. Just to prove that it is the same DME but now thinks it is CSL Hardware (7837340)
17 by Shawn Robertson, on Flickr

13. And to show that it indeed boots up correctly, here's a screenshot of it running a data change via Comfort Mode (warning!! DO NOT carry this out, as Terra says, it will fail and might brick your DME under certain conditions).
14 by Shawn Robertson, on Flickr

19 by Shawn Robertson, on Flickr

Hope that was helpful.

p.s. I recommend using WINKFP 5.3.1 or above for the above operation.
Jump to top nextelbuddy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Nov-20-2017, 08:28:46 PM   #112
nextelbuddy1

United States

I wonder of NZ_M3 is still on here. Looking for some help on step 4.

on step 3 I imported the files successfully but when i went to Export mode.... i did not get a dialog that says "Load Last Configuration" like it shows in step 4 image 1... and i am confused on step 4 image 2 and 3... mainly how did you get to that dialog in step 4 image 2 and 3?? in my dialog it shows all of the buttons active.. ... how do i "Load" the files in export mode after i have imported them?

thanks any one for all of the help!
Old Tue, Nov-21-2017, 01:51:31 AM   #113
nextelbuddy1

United States

ok so not sure if i messed anything up but heres what happened.

i reread the directions and saw on step 4 how I needed to load the proper files for PABD and PSGBD.

i loaded 12MSS54.PRG and IP0 files.

i then loaded the Program file and Data file that Terra created.

I clicked on Prog.Program and it just flashed.never asked for VIN, it just wrote the file to my DME. it took about 20min...

once that was done i clicked on Prog.Data and it flashed as well. no errors.

both write to my DME with no issue or error. i never once was told i have any remaining flashed left either.. why not?

i checked INPA and under the Coding Tab F3..... it does not show Software version 7837331 which above stated should be the CSL software version.

instead it shows 7842568

screen shot included

INPA Coding Tab Software version by Shawn Robertson, on Flickr

and my Informaiton tab shows:

INPA Info Tab F2 by Shawn Robertson, on Flickr

i used the ECUWorx tool to read a new partial BIN file and it shows that this is a CSL file...

all the CSL options are available.. and alpha N is disabled...

ECUWorx Terra CSL file read 1 by Shawn Robertson, on Flickr

i went ahead and requested a new license key based off this BIN from ECUWorx so hopefully im not out $27 :/

anyone have any idea if i am safe? or why i didnt get prompted for VIN or any other "expected" pop u errors flashing the modified CSL files?

my Winkfp is version 5.3.1 and I used BMW Coding tool to update the Daten from V60 date files.
Old Tue, Dec-12-2017, 12:36:07 PM   #114
dlm

Spain

Hello, I have a m3 e36 converted to s54, this car is used to run in rallies, the ecu is a mss54 (not HP) I want to install only carbon intake and sensor map, is this possible? Greetings to all
Jump to top dlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Dec-19-2017, 02:50:05 PM   #115
SliM3

In the garage:

United States

FYI
P/N MC33186HVW2 Half-Bridge Gate Driver is now an obsolete part.

Quote:
Discontinuation Information
This Discontinuation Notice confirms to your company that NXP Semiconductors (NXP) is now discontinuing the manufacture of a number of its integrated circuits and discrete semiconductors listed in the Part Type Affected list included with this notification. In accordance with NXP product discontinuation policy and JEDEC EIA/JESD48, we are hereby giving notice of these product changes so that vendors can adjust their product purchasing records, or make any final lifetime purchases of the discontinued products that can still be supplied by NXP.

While this Discontinuation Notice contains a number of NXP discontinued end-of-life Product Types, the Part Types Affected (PTA) list represents a small percentage of NXP overall semi-conductors product portfolio. Some of these discontinued products have had little to no recent sales history or they are at the end-of-life (EOL) stage. The PTA list may also cover a number of versions or selections of the same basic Product Type.

Looks like I grabbed the last of Mousers stock (Stock: Not Available), but only have one left. I'm trying to track down an alternative chip, and will post pertinent info.
Jump to top SliM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Dec-19-2017, 03:16:23 PM   #116
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

MC33886 might work. Main difference seems to be function of Pin 8, but it seems like that would only matter when there's a fault with the H-bridge.
Old Mon, Dec-25-2017, 09:50:57 PM   #117
dlm

Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlm View Post
Hello, I have a m3 e36 converted to s54, this car is used to run in rallies, the ecu is a mss54 (not HP) I want to install only carbon intake and sensor map, is this possible? Greetings to all
I have a CSL file of 64kb, it is a file read with Kess, if I modify the boot sector they believe that my dme nohp would accept it? I have cookie for reading by bdm but I do not have readings of the two flash memories of mss54 hp, I use winols but I do not use winkpf, so I do not understand the 0da and 0pa files, a greeting
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 22137177_1559441314135462_681846707202683873_o.jpg (217.4 KB, 8 views)
Jump to top dlm is offline   Reply With Quote