BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Sun, Oct-06-2019, 10:18:52 PM   #1
Red Label Moto

In the garage:

United States

Default brake booster part # confirmation

Hey folks Iím sorting out a mushy brake pedal (surprise surprise) on my minty, never effed with 2/99 M3 coupe. Suffice it to say Iíve done almost everything. I have been over the car several times with pro techs. It has all of the new brake system parts you would expect. Iíve read umpteen threads and learned a lot.

Iím now sufficiently convinced the real culprit is my original brake booster at 130k miles. Iím sourcing a new one. I donít want a reman Cardone unit. This thread from nholmes was very helpful:

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=593196

My car does not have the brake pedal travel sensor in the booster. According to that thread the correct part number for my application is therefore 34331162963

However all of the online parts sources say that is in fact not the correct part # for my 99M3.

I want a new oe ATE unit so if anyone can confirm the correct number that would be swell indeed.

Thanks!

Kie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 56E5916B-4869-4E7A-AFFE-F8058CB4BA5D.jpg (131.8 KB, 14 views)
Jump to top Red Label Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Oct-06-2019, 10:56:45 PM   #2
westopher

Canada

Default Re: brake booster part # confirmation

The part number you posted is the replacement for the part that originally came on your car, which part number ends in 65. It is the correct part according to what I have read.

98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 112k and officially worthless. 2000 323i touring, silver/grey/sport pack, 178k and officially boring.
Member journal. http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=491859
Jump to top westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Oct-06-2019, 11:43:52 PM   #3
Red Label Moto

In the garage:

United States

Thank you westopher. Pelican Parts has 34331162965 for $247. From the picture it looks to have the pedal sensor.

They also have the part ending in 63 which does not have the sensor for $347.

Are we led to believe that a car that did not come equipped with the booster that had the sensor can use either booster then?
Old Mon, Oct-07-2019, 02:11:13 AM   #4
M3AN
321 fun...

New Zealand

Have you bled the ABS unit?

I bled my new brakes a million times in a million different ways and still had mush... bleeding the ABS unit did the trick in the end.

I can't recall exactly what I did? Cracked the ABS nipple and then actuated the solenoids in INPA perhaps? Unless there's a DIS procedure in which case I would have used that.
Old Mon, Oct-07-2019, 05:20:17 AM   #5
Red Label Moto

In the garage:

United States

Yes I bled the abs unit. Nothing but clean clear fluid came out. Re-bled at the wheels and still the pedal is low and feels like itís in a bowl of oatmeal. The abs functions normally if you dynamite the brakes. No warning lights on the dash.

Interestingly.... there was a code stored in the abs/asc system for a left front solenoid. There was also some sort of ďfactoryĒ code that my machine would not clear. I cleared the other one, drove the car like I stole it and activated abs several times. Rechecked codes and the solenoid code did not re-appear.

If itís any help I got this car about 4 mos ago at 127k. Very well maintained 1-owner car although it had been dormant/not driven at all for about 3 years. This brake problem was there when I first woke it up 3000 miles ago. Since then it has a new brake master, new braided lines, new pads/rotors and about 2 gallons of ATE fluid run through it lol. I even changed all the wheel bearings to eliminate pad ďknock backĒ even though I knew that couldnít be the issue.

I have a very good relationship with an ace service advisor and his senior tech at the dealer here in Seattle. Tomorrow they get a crack at it. Maybe their magic machine will wake up my abs pump if thatís what it needs.

If thatís no go Iím getting a new booster. Or maybe theyíll tell me it needs something else. The advisor is not the typical sort. He races an e36 and has been around motorsports a long time. He worked with Jim Fikse at his wheel company back in the day.
Old Mon, Oct-07-2019, 08:14:17 AM   #6
nholmes
Track Junky

In the garage:

United States

Curious to see what they say. If itís just the booster and you can still source the one you need, awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate047 View Post
Are you feeling loose in the rear end currently?
Jump to top nholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Oct-07-2019, 06:41:42 PM   #7
Red Label Moto

In the garage:

United States

Sitting here in the lobby of BMW Seattle watching them print money lol. Waiting on my uber they provide while sipping a latte. Isnít life grand?

Correction. Now Iím in my uber.

My advisor is suspecting all that is needed is to get the air out of the abs pump. Which would be swell if thatís the case. I forgot I sold the technician a Ducati 1098S way back in the day like 10 years ago the last time I had an e36 M3. Now heís asking me to buy it back so perhaps heíll go the extra mile on my car haha.

Hoping for good news fingers crossed.
Old Mon, Oct-07-2019, 06:51:47 PM   #8
Nate047

In the garage:

United States

Whyyyyyyy are you getting serviced at the dealership, why why why do people do this.

http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
Jump to top Nate047 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Oct-07-2019, 07:37:03 PM   #9
Red Label Moto

In the garage:

United States

Whoa Nate those must be some sour grapes youíre chomping on. Post #5 pretty much sums up the how/why that I chose to take my car to BMW Seattle at this stage of the game to get my brakes sorted.

In my case, Iíve had nothing but positive experiences with this dealer. For 12 years my motorcycle sales shop was located directly adjacent to BMW Seattle in their old location on Capitol Hill in a Seattle. I developed many friendships and had all kinds of service performed over the years. All good experiences. Heck the 1996 328i sedan my sister bought from them secondhand in 2001 is still going gangbusters today.

Not all car dealer service depts are thieves or bumbling fools.
Old Mon, Oct-07-2019, 08:49:43 PM   #10
jayarambro

United States

Excellent Blog! I would like to thank for the efforts you have made in writing this post. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well.
I wanted to thank you for this websites! Thanks for sharing. Great websites!

gbwa
Jump to top jayarambro is offline   Reply With Quote