BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > Misc > Off Topic
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Off Topic Place to discuss this and that. Note: We also have "request to join" forums: Guns and Fitness.
(Threads/posts inside may contain material that is NSFW / offensive)

Old Fri, Jan-11-2019, 11:24:45 PM   #1
jph28
Back in 'Merica

In the garage:

United States

Default What’s up M3FOT - F31 Redux edition

The 2018 Tahoe was a financially painful lesson, but after a year with the truck we admitted it just wasn’t “us” and started looking, initially, for a clean CPO F15 X5. Tahoe is likely great for what it is, but for us it gave up too much in terms of drive ability, fun, efficiency, and efficient packaging (it’s massive externally for its interior space... likely body on frame at work there).

Good <30k mile ~2017 X5 35i xDrives don’t seem “cheap enough” for the fact that the new model is out (in my opinion), so we soon switched to looking for opportunistic new 2018 lease options. Things like a CB/B 2018 X5d M-sport that had been on the lot for 7 months, etc. We dabbled in some new X3 30i M-sports, but alas, nothing attractive really materialized. The best deal was on a pretty loaded 2018 X5d but without M-sport, which was a deal-breaker for us.

Then we came across a Sunset Orange Metallic F31 330i xDrive M-sport... And the rest is recent history. While lease deals are not nearly as slutty as they were when we picked up our previous 2015 328d M-sport, this was good enough to make it happen.

I’ll try to get better pics this weekend but an F31 is no mystery at this point. Steering is oddly better than I remember and the 248hp inline 4 gas motor is QUICK (0-60 in 5.4 or so) compared to the oil burner. Very happy with this so far...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Current - 2018 M2, 2018 Tahoe
2004 SilverGrey 6MT Sold

Past - '15 F31d / '02 M5 / '04 M3 / '12 VW JSW TDI / '91 Saab 900TC / '98 M3 / '06 WRX / '98 ITR / '88 Saab 9000T
Jump to top jph28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Jan-11-2019, 11:26:50 PM   #2
jph28
Back in 'Merica

In the garage:

United States

Default What’s up M3FOT - F31 Redux edition

Garage has gotten a little more colorful!

2004 SilverGrey 6MT Sold

Past - '15 F31d / '02 M5 / '04 M3 / '12 VW JSW TDI / '91 Saab 900TC / '98 M3 / '06 WRX / '98 ITR / '88 Saab 9000T
Old Sat, Jan-12-2019, 12:24:33 AM   #3
Steve M3

United States

Default Re: What’s up M3FOT - F31 Redux edition

Congrats! Love the color. I drove a 328i a few months back and was also very impressed with the acceleration and overall feel of the car. Perhaps I'm not as fine tuned as most of the reviewers that tear these up, but I could see having one around as a commuter and thought it was a pretty nice car.

We have both a SUV and a wagon and the wagon can really carry almost as much as the SUV. I don't understand why they aren't more popular in this country. They drive like a car, haul like a small SUV and look awesome when modded. What's not to like?
Jump to top Steve M3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jan-12-2019, 06:59:18 AM   #4
M3_Dust
Intredusting

In the garage:

United States

Congrats! Seems like you landed in the car you were meant to have all along. I still need to get around to a proper one of these threads at some point.

Great looking garage buddies there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saag View Post
Financial security, good looking women, fine automobiles and clothing. That is how my friends and I portray ourselves to the rest of society.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggb View Post
Must be horrible that you cannot afford one..
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastYugo View Post
people hate you and you look like a turd. GTFO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakshas View Post
Terrible taste confirmed
Jump to top M3_Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jan-12-2019, 10:12:57 AM   #5
DMS
Still Here

United States

Congrats! Great looking car.
Old Sat, Jan-12-2019, 02:32:36 PM   #6
Ginsu Tim
Dark, Fussy, Hard To Use, and Potentially Dangerous

In the garage:

United States

Congrats!!

Yah wagons are super useful. I would have considered one if I didnt need a tow vehicle.

Keep us posted and have fun with it.

a 10 hand donkey, brown.
1988 Alpine White 325ix (OO==[][]==OO) - Gone but not forgotten
Jump to top Ginsu Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jan-12-2019, 04:59:57 PM   #7
///M Dream
Real Madrid C.F.

In the garage:

United States

Congrats man! Awesome daily driver right there.

Current: 2006 Interlagos Blue ZCP ///M3
Past: F80 M3. E46 330i ZHP. B8 S4. E92 M3. E46 M3.
Jump to top ///M Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jan-12-2019, 09:08:57 PM   #8
BlazenXLT
We've had one yes, what about second breakfast?

In the garage:

United States

Nice man! This is weird...I think we got our TDIs around the same time, and just today I found a wagon (much older, but still) and made the deal happen. Congrats!
Old Sun, Jan-13-2019, 12:17:45 AM   #9
fattycharged
can't even

In the garage:

Zimbabwe

Very nice, was just playing with the wagon builder yesterday and was digging this color, wagons are the best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old Sun, Jan-13-2019, 12:50:39 AM   #10
jph28
Back in 'Merica

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazenXLT View Post
Nice man! This is weird...I think we got our TDIs around the same time, and just today I found a wagon (much older, but still) and made the deal happen. Congrats!

I think that’s right! Love the E46 wagon; great minds think alike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_Dust View Post
Congrats! Seems like you landed in the car you were meant to have all along. I still need to get around to a proper one of these threads at some point.

Great looking garage buddies there

Appreciate it - and yes we learned (the somewhat hard way) that you need to drive what you want (within reason) and look at utility realistically. The F31 still meets our needs ~all of the time once we have the box on top - the Tahoe was a reflex reaction to feeling too small with our initial one (2015).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginsu Tim View Post
Congrats!!

Yah wagons are super useful. I would have considered one if I didnt need a tow vehicle.

Keep us posted and have fun with it.

For sure towing is off the table with this - the X5d is a phenomenal vehicle though and we were “this” close to leasing a 2018 X5d that they *really* wanted to get rid of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMS View Post
Congrats! Great looking car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Dream View Post
Congrats man! Awesome daily driver right there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattycharged View Post
Very nice, was just playing with the wagon builder yesterday and was digging this color, wagons are the best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks guys! It’s surprisingly fun to drive - our 2015 with the diesel was nothing like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M3 View Post
Congrats! Love the color. I drove a 328i a few months back and was also very impressed with the acceleration and overall feel of the car. Perhaps I'm not as fine tuned as most of the reviewers that tear these up, but I could see having one around as a commuter and thought it was a pretty nice car.

We have both a SUV and a wagon and the wagon can really carry almost as much as the SUV. I don't understand why they aren't more popular in this country. They drive like a car, haul like a small SUV and look awesome when modded. What's not to like?

Thanks! Yes I think the color is one of my favorite things about it - honestly hadn’t seen sunset orange metallic in person before. I also - maybe it’s been too long and I forget - think this ‘18 drives materially better than our ‘15, despite being the same generation.

At the end of the day the X3 and X5 have “more” space, but when we really thought about how often that extra space “mattered”, the F31 won out

2004 SilverGrey 6MT Sold