BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > M3 Track: Racing and DE
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

M3 Track: Racing and DE Best mod for speed is learning to get the most out of what you currently have. Tracks and DE's is the place to start!

Old Fri, Jan-11-2019, 03:05:27 AM   #41
silvergray545

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Wanting to get into tracking

Iím a solo A or advanced driver. I have friends that are instructors that are very, very talented behind the wheel. Occasionally, Iíll ask one of them to hop in the car for a session with me. The feedback they provide almost always helps me find time in my car.

Best thing to do is leave the ego at home and listen to the feedback your instructor provides. Being a ďgood driver on the streetĒ does not translate to skill on track. Just some food for thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 VW GLI 6MT - Black/Black

E46 M3 Build Journal
Jump to top silvergray545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Jan-11-2019, 04:40:25 PM   #42
m13s

In the garage:

United States

I ask a question in the class.

Q "How many of you have paid for mods or your car(s)?"
A 90% hands go in the air.

Q "How many of you have paid for a coach to be in your car?"
A If one hand goes I am always amazed.
Jump to top m13s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jan-11-2019, 05:50:05 PM   #43
PenguinScotty

Austria

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanE46 View Post
Just registered for Extreme Speed on the 20th at streets of willow! Should I pay the extra 75$ and have an instructor the whole day? Or is the standard instruction good enough?

I will be changing engine oil, and would be on stock 19s with spacers, stock brakes, stock suspension, stock engine.

Let me know if you have any more tips for me! Really excited!!

Also should I purchase track insurance from hagerty? If so how does it work? Car isn’t under my name and my name isn’t on insurance.
Echoing what others have said. Get the instruction. You'll be overwhelmed with everything new that's happening, so having somebody take part of the load off of you and guide you is the way to go. For reference, Jade Buford does instructing with Chin. He charges 200 bucks PER SESSION to coach. You can expect to pay a good 1k+ for pro coaching, such as Ross Bentley or the likes, per day.

Do get track insurance. For my car, i valued it at 25k and it costs me 150 for a two day event.
Hagerty works fine. There is also Lockton. Tried both, both are good. Doesn't matter whos name is on the car, the regular road insurance.

Stay calm, stay safe, ask questions! And, naturally, have fun

'98 E36 M3 Evo - Techno Violet, '02 E46 M3 - Titansilber, '05 E46 M3 - Titansilber
Jump to top PenguinScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jan-11-2019, 06:54:07 PM   #44
aeronaut

United States

Quote:
Just registered for Extreme Speed on the 20th at streets of willow! Should I pay the extra 75$ and have an instructor the whole day? Or is the standard instruction good enough?

I will be changing engine oil, and would be on stock 19s with spacers, stock brakes, stock suspension, stock engine.

Let me know if you have any more tips for me! Really excited!!

Also should I purchase track insurance from hagerty? If so how does it work? Car isnít under my name and my name isnít on insurance.
What does 'standard instruction' include? If it means an instructor for less than every session, then yes, pay the extra $75.
Only you can decide about track insurance. I never have, but my car is disposable.

Have fun, and let us know how it goes!!!!
Jump to top aeronaut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jan-11-2019, 07:06:30 PM   #45
mrgizmo04

In the garage:

United States

Yeah, clarify what standard instruction includes. Sometimes it's classroom time and a few lead/follow sessions but you don't actually get an instructor in your car.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

All DIY: VANOS, WPC rod bearings, full SS (SS stepped V1 headers, catted S1, stock S2, SS sport), AFD E85 Proflex kit, Ohlins R&T/Hyperco 375f Swift 672r/GC street tops and camber plates, ST40 355 pfc08, 330 ZHP steering rack, diffsonline 4.1 diff with rem polish, E60 short shifter lever, AKG black diff bushings/subframe bushings, Rogue rtab, Sachs clutch/flywheel, rear main, Beyer driveshaft, valve adjustment, cooling refresh.

Happy to help with VANOS or any other DIY job around NorCal. Have various specialty tools (VANOS, RTAB, engine bar, valve adjustment, tranny jack, ball joint separator, pilot bearing puller, tap&die kit, etc).
Jump to top mrgizmo04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jan-11-2019, 10:03:03 PM   #46
LemansM
///M Enthusiast

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
Yeah, clarify what standard instruction includes. Sometimes it's classroom time and a few lead/follow sessions but you don't actually get an instructor in your car.

Instructor in your car, and you in his for 1-2 sessions depending on the need by other beginners. $75 would be dedicated instructor for the day.
Old Fri, Jan-11-2019, 11:08:00 PM   #47
mrgizmo04

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemansM View Post
Instructor in your car, and you in his for 1-2 sessions depending on the need by other beginners. $75 would be dedicated instructor for the day.
Amazing deal

All DIY: VANOS, WPC rod bearings, full SS (SS stepped V1 headers, catted S1, stock S2, SS sport), AFD E85 Proflex kit, Ohlins R&T/Hyperco 375f Swift 672r/GC street tops and camber plates, ST40 355 pfc08, 330 ZHP steering rack, diffsonline 4.1 diff with rem polish, E60 short shifter lever, AKG black diff bushings/subframe bushings, Rogue rtab, Sachs clutch/flywheel, rear main, Beyer driveshaft, valve adjustment, cooling refresh.

Happy to help with VANOS or any other DIY job around NorCal. Have various specialty tools (VANOS, RTAB, engine bar, valve adjustment, tranny jack, ball joint separator, pilot bearing puller, tap&die kit, etc).
Jump to top mrgizmo04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jan-11-2019, 11:25:50 PM   #48
LemansM
///M Enthusiast

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
Amazing deal

It's not bad! Although ExtremeSpeed has more cars on track, equaling less seat time than other groups, it's still a great deal for someone starting out.
Old Sun, Jan-13-2019, 07:59:44 PM   #49
SeanE46

In the garage:

Armenia

Anyone worried about spinning a rod on the track? My Vanos is good but no clue about the rod bearings. And it’s kind of too late for a Blackstone analysis.
Jump to top SeanE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jan-13-2019, 08:01:59 PM   #50
mdavidm3

In the garage:

United States

Default Wanting to get into tracking

Quote:
Anyone worried about spinning a rod on the track? My Vanos is good but no clue about the rod bearings. And itís kind of too late for a Blackstone analysis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKG||Euro Headers||Customized Bimmerworld Race Exhaust||Tilton Twin Disk Clutch||RTD||Mishimoto||Kirk Rollbar||Schroth||Sparco||Momo||OMP||Ground Control||Eibach||JRZ RSpro (rear coilover)||PFC Z31 BBK||G-Loc Brakes||Enkei NT03||Nitto NT01||Custom Chassis Mounted Splitter||AJ Hartman Fulcrum Wing||TTFS Tune||2800 lbs

Trackspec Autosports
MMI Vehicle Systems
Ravenol
G-loc Brakes
IG: marcdavid.m3
Jump to top mdavidm3 is offline   Reply With Quote