BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Fri, Jan-11-2019, 05:28:58 PM   #31
97_4dr_5spd_m3
Old College Kid

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: A What's it Worth Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthwormjlm View Post
Also unreasonable to call the car a time capsule, which is what people were saying earlier on in the thread. It's a very nice car, and if I was after low mileage, I would definitely consider it at sub $20k. I do not offhand agree with the 10k under value assessment people keep throwing out though. It's a '95 model for one thing, and the interior looks a little dirty. Broken tweeter cover. Small details add up though, especially when you're searching for a pinnacle example.

It's not unreasonable to mention the sagging bolster though. If you're in the market for a collectable E36 example, you should be aware of any issues, otherwise what is the point of posting here? Just to join in on the circle jerk?
The pinnacle example is always the next example that is up for sale though.

I do not think that anyone really thinks that this is the pinnacle as issues that have been pointed out AND you would have to be kind of silly to assume that there aren't probably 100 plus E36s with sub 30K miles on them.

That may seem like a high number and maybe it is, but it is definitely not that far from the truth.

Day after day low mileage Supras end up on BAT and each day the next example is lower mileage than the one before - same shit with the E36.
Old Fri, Jan-11-2019, 06:01:06 PM   #32
The_Grumpy_Cat

In the garage:

United States

If I or my friend were to purchase the car, ultimately it would be resold either immediately, or it would be stored for a number of years and then sold... Maybe it'd be worth it to buy the car and correct all the flaws as noted here, which is a possibility.

The seller is asking $14,000 for those wondering an exact number.

Braymond, I did not mean to offend Earthworm with that comment, as I greatly appreciate him pointing out the flaws in the bolsters of earlier Vaders. The seller is still attached to the car, and for me to point that out to him I'm afraid would offend him, especially at his asking.

| 2006 M3 ZCP | Silver Grey on Cinnamon | 6MT | 1 of 4 in North America | @SilberGrauM3 |
Jump to top The_Grumpy_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jan-11-2019, 06:14:02 PM   #33
Texaz3

United States

Seems like a fair price for the condition, great price, even.
Jump to top Texaz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jan-11-2019, 06:14:15 PM   #34
mrbeverlyhills

United States

Without igniting another OBD I V II debate, can anyone tell me why 95s are frowned on here?

Coming from the 911 world where there are some very knowledgeable e36 M guys, 95s and 99s are considered collectible.

Some big sales on BAT for 95s as well.....
Jump to top mrbeverlyhills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jan-11-2019, 06:44:02 PM   #35
simon_c

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Grumpy_Cat View Post
If I or my friend were to purchase the car, ultimately it would be resold either immediately, or it would be stored for a number of years and then sold... Maybe it'd be worth it to buy the car and correct all the flaws as noted here, which is a possibility.

Braymond, I did not mean to offend Earthworm with that comment, as I greatly appreciate him pointing out the flaws in the bolsters of earlier Vaders. The seller is still attached to the car, and for me to point that out to him I'm afraid would offend him, especially at his asking.
Jesus. If the guy doesn't sell tell him what the real value is and have him list on BaT so he can get fair market price for his dedication! Always love to see original owners benefit.
Old Fri, Jan-11-2019, 06:47:29 PM   #36
SamGrant951

United States

Tell him to call me if you dont want it!
Sold: 97 M3/4/6 Byzanz, 99 M Coupe, 02 M Coupe
Jump to top SamGrant951 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jan-11-2019, 07:02:54 PM   #37
Braymond141

United States

Quote:

That’s a great price for the miles and the flaws. Good buy, do it. It is NOT a $32k or even a $26k car as it sits. Some people get so wrapped up in the low miles not considering that it’s still possible to have expensive issues.
Jump to top Braymond141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jan-11-2019, 08:22:16 PM   #38
Alpine 318is
Twinscrewed

United States

If you pass I'll fly to Cleveland to pick it up.
Jump to top Alpine 318is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jan-11-2019, 11:30:29 PM   #39
Earthwormjlm
Imolarot M3

United States

Quote:

Holy shit, OK for $14,000 I wouldn't mention those flaws either, now I'm understanding the context. That's a good price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbeverlyhills View Post
Without igniting another OBD I V II debate, can anyone tell me why 95s are frowned on here?

Coming from the 911 world where there are some very knowledgeable e36 M guys, 95s and 99s are considered collectible.

Some big sales on BAT for 95s as well.....
Most people on here are just looking for the best car they can get, not the most collectible. There's really no debate, the +'96 cars are better from a feature/design stand point, BMW made improvements.

'95 has a few downsides:
  • 95 is down on power and torque
  • Might lack subframe reinforcement plates on extremely early models
  • Lacks shock tower reinforcement
  • Several came with lux package
  • Slower steering rack
  • Less aggressive diff ratio
  • No foot well lights
  • No side air bags (if you care about safety)
  • Less desirable suspension geometry
  • OBDI sucks for troubleshooting compared with OBDII

About the only benefit to a '95 is the driveline is a little beefier (6 bolt), but '96 models have this too, '95 models are usually slightly lighter, and emissions testing is less stringent.

Most of these issues are small or can be rectified, but if you're comparing two cars, a '95 and +'96, and the prices and condition are about the same, which would you rather have?

Last edited by Earthwormjlm; Sun, Jan-13-2019 at 02:52:39 AM.
Jump to top Earthwormjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jan-12-2019, 01:23:17 AM   #40
mrbeverlyhills

United States

Well, I already opted for a 95 so I guess I am stuck. I hear the pistons are forged on a 95 vs cast on later cars.

I bought it so my girls and I could do some DEs without totally thrashing the 911, although it gets thrashed too, just looking to do more events and thought the M3 would give them a front engine, good handling car that wasn't all about horsepower. We are used to horsepower snobs; here in LA at Porsche events it's all show.

Both girls are good at the track and AutoX, the car I bought has a chip, reinforced towers, SS lines and looks like it spent a few weekends at events already. I'm hoping we can make the dentist in his GT3RS drive his mirrors for a few laps.
Per info and a sticky here, the coolant system and all bushings are being replaced, fluids, it already has new Konis all round. I would have preferred a 99 but Daytona over black nappa, the force was too strong, I couldn't resist. Easier smog here in CA might wind up being a plus. The "boy racer" seller is 68 and it has all vin tags and is otherwise all stock.

I didn't really buy the car as a collectible, I just wanted to make sure when it comes time to sell, there is a ready and willing pool of buyers. But reading posts here, once the car is part of the family, it may never leave.

Thank you very much for your helpful response, I know little about these cars, but if you need anything in the Porsche world, let me know.
Jump to top mrbeverlyhills is offline   Reply With Quote