BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, Jun-06-2017, 10:40:33 PM   #511
lrz14

United States

Default Re: Comprehensive SMG to 6MT Conversion Thread

Hi I am also doing the conversion but with a wiring harness from a manual transmission can anyone tell me what #6 plug connectors mean? I have the harness set in place but cant seem to find anyone who knows what they are for and they dont plug in anywhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Jump to top lrz14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Jun-07-2017, 10:13:13 AM   #512
wetter

In the garage:

Denmark

I have a late 2001 ex smg m3 e46 - the car has been converted to manual - runs well but with low power (untill 4000 rpm og 4th. gear) if i max it out to 8000 rpm the led in the cluster rev counter lights up, and it seems like the car has more power. there is no SMG unit in the car now. The car has been to a local BMW dealer who has updated it with software adjusted to a manual car. There is no checklight failure, but with inpa i get this failure (see picture)

I am from Denmark in europe and it seems this is the place for me to get assistance to my help - I have inpa ncs winfkp but i am new in this but eager to learn thanks in advance!!!
Jump to top wetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jun-07-2017, 02:58:44 PM   #513
IbrahimM3

In the garage:

Egypt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetter View Post
I have a late 2001 ex smg m3 e46 - the car has been converted to manual - runs well but with low power (untill 4000 rpm og 4th. gear) if i max it out to 8000 rpm the led in the cluster rev counter lights up, and it seems like the car has more power. there is no SMG unit in the car now. The car has been to a local BMW dealer who has updated it with software adjusted to a manual car. There is no checklight failure, but with inpa i get this failure (see picture)

I am from Denmark in europe and it seems this is the place for me to get assistance to my help - I have inpa ncs winfkp but i am new in this but eager to learn thanks in advance!!!
I can't see the picture of the error , can you write it or attach it again. When coding your car to manual , you have to delete the option code of smg from the vehicle order by ncs expert and then install the manual software to the dme and then recode dsc and kombi.

E93 M3, DCT to Manual conversion, Macht schnell intake stage 2, Ess ECU N/A tune, ESS Underdrive Pulley kit
Jump to top IbrahimM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jun-07-2017, 03:07:11 PM   #514
IbrahimM3

In the garage:

Egypt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrz14 View Post

Hi I am also doing the conversion but with a wiring harness from a manual transmission can anyone tell me what #6 plug connectors mean? I have the harness set in place but cant seem to find anyone who knows what they are for and they dont plug in anywhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I don't understand why you needed a wiring harness from a manual transmission. All the sensors in your original harness are connected to the dme as the transmission is the same. You only need connection for the clutch module as this makes the car start and cruise control work, for me I removed the safety feature that the car doesn't start except with clutch pedal depressed and I didn't do any wiring but I don't have cruise control and got one error in the dme as it doesn't see the clutch pressed at all but no check engine light and the car is running great.

E93 M3, DCT to Manual conversion, Macht schnell intake stage 2, Ess ECU N/A tune, ESS Underdrive Pulley kit
Old Thu, Jun-08-2017, 12:03:19 AM   #515
weiwei

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbrahimM3 View Post
I can't see the picture of the error , can you write it or attach it again. When coding your car to manual , you have to delete the option code of smg from the vehicle order by ncs expert and then install the manual software to the dme and then recode dsc and kombi.
Hi ibrahimM3
I'm a E46 M3 owner from China. Excuse me my English is quite limited.
I have recently completed the SMG to manual conversion but I have problems with the software.
The ABS and BRAKE fault lights are on all the time.
Sometimes the throttle did not respond, and full power is not available.
My friend from BMW dealership tried to remove the codes but did not succeed.

Can you give me some help.

Thanks in advance.

My fault code is

DME/DDE:
8B
3D
3C
E6
Jump to top weiwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-08-2017, 03:23:10 AM   #516
IbrahimM3

In the garage:

Egypt

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiwei View Post
Hi ibrahimM3
I'm a E46 M3 owner from China. Excuse me my English is quite limited.
I have recently completed the SMG to manual conversion but I have problems with the software.
The ABS and BRAKE fault lights are on all the time.
Sometimes the throttle did not respond, and full power is not available.
My friend from BMW dealership tried to remove the codes but did not succeed.

Can you give me some help.

Thanks in advance.

My fault code is

DME/DDE:
8B
3D
3C
E6
I think your main problem is that you didn't code your car right after your conversion . You will never be able to delete the codes if the car is not coded right. I'll advise you the coding sequence and you check if you have done it or not.
1) delete the option code of smg from vo of the car by using ncs expert.
2) code the ecu with manual software and it can be done by winkfp.
3) recode the dsc and kombi modules and it can be done by sss.

Please advise which part you didn't do and I can try to help.

Old Thu, Jun-08-2017, 09:01:23 AM   #517
wetter

In the garage:

Denmark

Quote:
Sorry picture with here!

Last edited by wetter; Thu, Jun-08-2017 at 09:12:08 AM. Reason: More info
Old Fri, Jun-09-2017, 01:48:24 AM   #518
IbrahimM3

In the garage:

Egypt

Quote:
Sorry picture with here!
I saw the picture , I'm not sure but I think something is still looking for the smg , you might have installed manual software but you might have not removed the smg option code from the vo ( vehicle order ) or you might have not recoded dsc and kombi( cluster ) after you installed manual software. In your clustet now, is the part where it should show the gear number switched off or there is still light in it. If you have coded the kombi this block should be off with no light. If you have dis try to read it with dis.

Old Fri, Jun-09-2017, 03:49:23 PM   #519
wetter

In the garage:

Denmark

Quote:
I saw the picture , I'm not sure but I think something is still looking for the smg , you might have installed manual software but you might have not removed the smg option code from the vo ( vehicle order ) or you might have not recoded dsc and kombi( cluster ) after you installed manual software. In your clustet now, is the part where it should show the gear number switched off or there is still light in it. If you have coded the kombi this block should be off with no light. If you have dis try to read it with dis.
Perhaps you can point me in a direction to find the way to get to know how ..
Old Sat, Jun-10-2017, 07:58:27 PM   #520
IbrahimM3

In the garage:

Egypt

Quote:
Perhaps you can point me in a direction to find the way to get to know how ..
Send me your email and I'll send you some files to help you.