BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Fri, Mar-26-2010, 02:01:30 PM   #31
M3Works4Me
learn to drive it or park it!

United States

I took a very close look at my trunk latch (I have the factory spoiler), and I'm glad to find that there is no sign of corrosion, rust, dirt, cracking or flex in the area. It looks like it is brand new under there, and I'm sure it will be fine for another 11 years without reinforcing it.

I've never heard of this being a problem before either, but I can see why it can happen...

'99 Estoril Blue ///M3, A few common mods, lots of driver training track days, a respectful performance driving attitude, and excellent tires. Member of the local car club driver training team.
Jump to top M3Works4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Mar-26-2010, 03:28:33 PM   #32
zhp43867

United States

[QUOTE=M3Works4Me;4639107]I took a very close look at my trunk latch (I have the factory spoiler), and I'm glad to find that there is no sign of corrosion, rust, dirt, cracking or flex in the area. It looks like it is brand new under there, and I'm sure it will be fine for another 11 years without reinforcing it.

I don't know why you wouldn't reinforce it, and I'd even go out on a limb and say that not reinforcing the trunk isn't a wise stand to take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tock172
Yeah, we get it. Everyone has the inalienable right to be a total ****ing idiot.
Jump to top zhp43867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-26-2010, 05:20:09 PM   #33
Samon8ive
Check the Rhyme

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Works4Me View Post
I took a very close look at my trunk latch (I have the factory spoiler), and I'm glad to find that there is no sign of corrosion, rust, dirt, cracking or flex in the area. It looks like it is brand new under there, and I'm sure it will be fine for another 11 years without reinforcing it.

I've never heard of this being a problem before either, but I can see why it can happen...
I pointed this fix out to a buddy of mine who has a spoiler and I can say that I was amazed at how much heavier his trunk (has spoiler) was to mine (no spoiler). I'm surprised this isn't more of an issue for guys with spoilers.

SAnta MOnica, ca N8IVE.

1999 M3 Cosmos 5 spd

koni's and RSM's....the rest is stock
Jump to top Samon8ive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-26-2010, 06:51:48 PM   #34
M3Works4Me
learn to drive it or park it!

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post

I don't know why you wouldn't reinforce it, and I'd even go out on a limb and say that not reinforcing the trunk isn't a wise stand to take.
Well, wise or not, I guess since it has shown no sign of a problem, I'd just rather not add tacky little bits of metal to the car that don't need to be there unless I had to, and even then I'd finish it off nicely (no sharp corners etc) & match the color, (like you did), but that's just me. To each his own.

In 11 years it hasn't started to be a problem, so until it is, I'll leave well enough alone. Your fix is a good idea if it's needed.

'99 Estoril Blue ///M3, A few common mods, lots of driver training track days, a respectful performance driving attitude, and excellent tires. Member of the local car club driver training team.
Jump to top M3Works4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-26-2010, 08:03:34 PM   #35
Xiphos
///Moneypit

In the garage:

United States

So many projects, so little time...

E36 M3 DIY Page - Bimmerforums
Jump to top Xiphos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-26-2010, 09:07:15 PM   #36
Aultman7
Banned

United States

My trunk latch just quit working...trunk won't shut. The latch won't move at all when I lock/unlock it.
Jump to top Aultman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-26-2010, 09:37:49 PM   #37
zhp43867

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aultman7 View Post
My trunk latch just quit working...trunk won't shut. The latch won't move at all when I lock/unlock it.
That's what happened to mine and how I discovered the problem. If your sheetmetal is flexing it will put more stress on the latch and break. Sorry to say I think you need a new latch. They aren't too expensive though.

Quote:
Yeah, we get it. Everyone has the inalienable right to be a total ****ing idiot.
Old Fri, Mar-26-2010, 09:57:20 PM   #38
Aultman7
Banned

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
That's what happened to mine and how I discovered the problem. If your sheetmetal is flexing it will put more stress on the latch and break. Sorry to say I think you need a new latch. They aren't too expensive though.
Screw that...I'll fix it.
Jump to top Aultman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Mar-27-2010, 01:31:14 AM   #39
shaeff
Maintenance FTW

United States

Bevel the edges and it'll look better. It looks like too much of an add-on to me, even if it's a functional piece and not seen with the trunk shut. I'm anal like that, though.

A simple bevel on the edges would make it look much more stock-like (no, I'm not an OEM *****. lol) all the while still serving the same function. If you chamfer the holes the bolts would have a more countersunk appearance.

Good job.
Jump to top shaeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Mar-27-2010, 01:38:51 AM   #40
zhp43867

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaeff View Post
Bevel the edges and it'll look better. It looks like too much of an add-on to me, even if it's a functional piece and not seen with the trunk shut. I'm anal like that, though.

A simple bevel on the edges would make it look much more stock-like (no, I'm not an OEM *****. lol) all the while still serving the same function. If you chamfer the holes the bolts would have a more countersunk appearance.

Good job.
The holes are chamfered, but not enough for the big torx head on these screws. Beveling the edges would not be worth the effort IMO. You never see it if it's color matched, or remember it's there unless you look for it. It looks like a relatively oem support brace. I am anal too; if you tried it you'd realize you'd never notice it's there.

Quote: