BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, Nov-18-2008, 06:23:11 PM   #21
Pantera

In the garage:

United States

Default Same problem resolved with replacement bumpers

Boy this is an old thread...

I had the exact same problem. I didn't understand how it could make a difference either. I changed the bump stops very easily and it closes and stays closed without issue. It was really cheap to do too. They unscrew from the edge and the new ones screw right back in. You may have to adjust the depth of the little bump stops a little, but you could note how tall your old ones are before you put the new ones in and you should be set.

Last edited by Pantera; Tue, Nov-18-2008 at 07:21:37 PM.
Jump to top Pantera is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Nov-18-2008, 06:32:20 PM   #22
deilenberger

Reputation: 578 deilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond repute

United States

That's what the problem is - and this is what fixes it.

JUST DO IT.. you'll be happy with the results.
  • 2002 M3C/6 - Imola Red/Black - SOLD
  • 2003 525iT - Green/Tan - SOLD - replaced with Lexus
  • 2006 Cayenne/S - Iceland Silver Metallic/Stone-steel Gray - Truckster. - SOLD
  • 2007 R1200R - Roadster, black mit/white pinstripes - SOLD and not forgotten..
  • 2012 R1200R - Roadster, Ruby Red - the new REAL BMW..
  • 2011 Lexus RX-350. SWMBO's toy.
  • 2011 Porsche Cayenne Turbo, white/black. My new toy..
Jump to top deilenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Nov-18-2008, 06:38:12 PM   #23
rbenjami
Grumpy Old Man

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
That's what the problem is - and this is what fixes it.

JUST DO IT.. you'll be happy with the results.
2 x part number 51-24-8-137-994 on order from circlebmw.com

By the way, I can't say enough nice things about those guys. Very reasonable prices and shipping. Much easier than waiting in line at my local dealer and being tempted into buying a new car!

And thanks again to everyone on this board - what a great community!
Jump to top rbenjami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Nov-18-2008, 06:58:28 PM   #24
c.my.m3

Canada

Super thread - have this problem too - know I can fix it
Old Fri, Nov-21-2008, 06:40:34 PM   #25
rbenjami
Grumpy Old Man

United States

How on earth do I get out the old ones? They just turn in place and don't seem to unscrew!

• If you are wondering about whether or not to buy snow tires, please review the dozens of threads where people caused thousands of dollars of damage in a light snowfall at 10 mph.
  • If you are thinking about buying an M3 because they can now be found pre-owned fairly inexpensively, please review the threads explaining how expensive the maintenance is. Plan on spending $2,000 or more per year on routine maintenance.
Old Fri, Nov-21-2008, 07:27:42 PM   #26
deilenberger

Reputation: 578 deilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond repute

United States

Notice the spiral cut on them - counter-clockwise rotation will take them out.
Old Thu, Dec-04-2008, 08:21:35 PM   #27
rbenjami
Grumpy Old Man

United States

Quote:
Notice the spiral cut on them - counter-clockwise rotation will take them out.
I finally got my old ones out by spinning and pulling with a pliers. The new ones look almost exactly like the old ones, but the spring mechanism seems to work a lot better on the new ones. I am 99.9% certain I already had the new part in there. Hopefully this will improve things. I hardly ever use my trunk and the problem only happened every so often in the past. If I am trouble free by the time spring rolls around, I'll call this a success.

• If you are wondering about whether or not to buy snow tires, please review the dozens of threads where people caused thousands of dollars of damage in a light snowfall at 10 mph.
  • If you are thinking about buying an M3 because they can now be found pre-owned fairly inexpensively, please review the threads explaining how expensive the maintenance is. Plan on spending $2,000 or more per year on routine maintenance.
Old Thu, Dec-04-2008, 08:37:29 PM   #28
deilenberger

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbenjami View Post
I finally got my old ones out by spinning and pulling with a pliers. The new ones look almost exactly like the old ones, but the spring mechanism seems to work a lot better on the new ones. I am 99.9% certain I already had the new part in there. Hopefully this will improve things. I hardly ever use my trunk and the problem only happened every so often in the past. If I am trouble free by the time spring rolls around, I'll call this a success.
There is a quite visible difference between the old ones and the new ones..

The old ones are simply screw in rubber bumpers.

The new ones are the same bumpers with a spring loaded piston that comes out of the center about 1/2" (1/4" in diameter or so..)

I can't imagine not spotting the difference.

What did your old ones look like and what do the new ones look like?
Old Thu, Dec-04-2008, 08:40:40 PM   #29
rbenjami
Grumpy Old Man

United States

Quote:
There is a quite visible difference between the old ones and the new ones..

The old ones are simply screw in rubber bumpers.

The new ones are the same bumpers with a spring loaded piston that comes out of the center about 1/2" (1/4" in diameter or so..)

I can't imagine not spotting the difference.

What did your old ones look like and what do the new ones look like?
They both had the spring piston, but the spring piston on the ones I removed was not nearly as strong as the new ones. I'm sure they were the same part number, but the new ones were - well - newer, so hopefully the stronger spring will help things. For the record, mine is a 5/04 build date and I bought the car used, so it is possible the prior owner already tried this fix.

Old Thu, Dec-04-2008, 10:06:56 PM   #30
M3Dom

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Got 2 of PN 51-24-8-137-994 (which was the part - PN-7 - I mentioned above on realoem.com) - cost was $9.30 each, $8.30 each with my CCA discount.

Unscrewed the old rubber bumpers, screwed these in - and it works great. Now when I pop the trunk, it pops up about 1/2" - and the latch fully releases.

I found a 21mm deep socket was ideal for removing the old one and installing the new ones - it had just enough grab on the rubber so they could be turned. I used a bit of GummiPhledge (silicone grease) on the threads on the new ones so they would go in easier.

Attached are photos..

The first photo is the new one on the left and one of the old ones on the right. The second photo is a new one installed in the trunk lid.

On a difficulty scale of 1-10, this is a 1..

you guys are great im having the same issue 02 vert im ordering those parts asap thanks

https://www.instagram.com/d_sicily/

Porshapwr:I thought every day was steak and BJ day?
Ghost : "She'll prolly suck your balls so hard they'll hatch"
Ben Z.;The Ultimate Driving Simulation Machine
LALaw :OP has been surprised by everything that's happened since the 13th Amendment
Cars : some verts some bikes and a 2012 veyron

Jump to top M3Dom is offline   Reply With Quote