BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > Misc > Off Topic
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Off Topic Place to discuss this and that. Note: We also have "request to join" forums: Guns and Fitness.
(Threads/posts inside may contain material that is NSFW / offensive)

View Poll Results: Your choice?
New BMW M4 11 20.75%
2013 BMW M6 5 9.43%
2015 Jaguar F-type R 9 16.98%
2013 Porsche 911 Carrera S 28 52.83%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sun, Oct-18-2015, 01:41:31 PM   #1
EKaru

Reputation: 766 EKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru Porsha

United States

Default $75K question: New BMW M4 or

As per usual, assume color to be the only variable in this thread

2013 BMW M6

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...12423901&Log=0

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...11520460&Log=0

2015 Jaguar F-type R

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...10208702&Log=0

2013 Porsche 911 Carrera S

http://www.projectoneauto.com/web/us...rsey/25139853/
Jump to top EKaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Oct-18-2015, 01:47:00 PM   #2
rave426
Kinda almost had a 3sum

United States

Default Re: $75K question: New BMW M4 or

If CPO, 911.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sun, Oct-18-2015, 01:49:06 PM   #3
AutoUnion

Germany

CPO 911.

lol at the price of that F Type after 1 year
Old Sun, Oct-18-2015, 01:50:02 PM   #4
EKaru

Reputation: 766 EKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru Porsha

United States

In this comparison the Porsche is the no brainer choice to me..
The 911 won best drivers car 2 years in a row.. (Carrera S for 2012 and Carrera 4S for 2013).
Old Sun, Oct-18-2015, 01:55:38 PM   #5
Broham

United States

I don't like used cars... So M4.
Jump to top Broham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Oct-18-2015, 02:28:20 PM   #6
EKaru

United States

The 5 year 60K mile warranty sounds promising...

Old Sun, Oct-18-2015, 03:04:55 PM   #7
Jormungand
Like a moth drawn to a flame your wings will burn in anguish

In the garage:

Norway

I'll take whichever is the newest F-Type R to have RWD, which I think is the 2015 as the 2016 has AWD.

*M3Forum.net Night Crew**VP** (OO==[][]==OO)

*Ronin009*Jormungand*Lil. Lucas*Sagerjw*Sebony*Kiki82*NOMOEVO*Crankitdb711*
*John_T*M3_Dust*BMW F1*Porschetech*Amstel78*TehGinger*Hecdog*

Jump to top Jormungand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Oct-18-2015, 03:23:27 PM   #8
Frank Ricard
You're my boy, Blue!

United States

911, but if F types get down to 50k sooner rather than later, it would be enticing. Judging by 997.2 prices, the 991 wont drop much more.... At this point.

911 prices be dumb.
Jump to top Frank Ricard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Oct-18-2015, 03:25:15 PM   #9
EKaru

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
I'll take whichever is the newest F-Type R to have RWD, which I think is the 2015 as the 2016 has AWD.
Yeah, which is sorta weird.. I think Jaguar should have made RWD optional. Then again, 550hp hp powering only the rear wheels in heavy performance cars can be real handful in less than ideal conditions. It makes the driving experience more frustrating than fun.

Quote:
10th Place: BMW M6
Bigger Than Better
Unfortunately for the M6, there's no mechanical issue to blame for its standing. Save some significant brake fade on the track, the M6 functioned exactly as it was designed. Assuming, of course, that BMW intended to design a car that is too heavy, too complicated, and unable to put the power down.
Before we go any further, it must be said that the M6 has some very redeeming qualities. Every judge remarked about how much he enjoyed the big, broad powerband and raucous noise from the (officially, but likely underrated) 560-horsepower engine. Praise was likewise heaped on the transmission. "The dual-clutch is the best part of this car," Lago wrote. Shifts were imperceptibly quick and smooth with no interruption of power. "I really enjoyed the drivetrain," Randy said. "The transmission is fantastic."

Like the rest of us, though, Randy had trouble finding other nice things to say about how the M6 drove. "Driving the car fast ends up being a lot of work," he reported. "It's kind of like a feeling of wrestling, and it's not a finely balanced car through the corners. You're using both hands and working it, and it's just not on the level of M cars that I'm used to seeing in terms of handling."
It was the same report from the road. Judges dinged the M6 for being too heavy and unsettled in corners. Moreover, the car felt numb and isolating, like there was always a barrier between you and the road. Loh described it thus: "The M6 tunes out nearly every chassis response, and then tries to dial it back in to your liking."
Ah, but there's a button for that, isn't there? Actually, there are about a hundred of them. The M6 offers a wide range of options for fine-tuning the car's various computers to dial in performance for any given situation. On its face, this seems like a good thing. In practice, you end up fiddling with settings forever. We calculated 125 possible combinations of throttle, suspension, transmission, and other settings. Somewhere around combination 26, you realize that none of them is really making the car much of a better driver's car, and you're just wasting time.

As an example, take Randy's experience on track. "I tried the car in Sport Mode once to see if it affected the handling, because it had so much oversteer on exit, but it also had a tendency to understeer a lot. Only tried a couple of corners in Sport because it understeered heavily. I put it back in Sport Plus, and all of a sudden it was oversteering." In the end, the M6 was slower around the track than the much less powerful 911.
An inability to use its massive power reserve would plague the M6 everywhere it went. It struggled in instrumented testing, especially on the figure eight. If you can get its nine-step launch control to work, at 4 seconds flat to 60 mph it's nearly as quick as a Corvette in a straight line. Anywhere else, though, the M6 is constantly spinning its tires in frustration. Several editors complained that the stability-control light was flashing constantly during road driving, fighting every single bump. "If you can't go WOT into fourth gear without ESC intervention, you either have too much power or your rear axle isn't setup properly," said Lago.
BMW's illustrious M division built its name on cars that were light, nimble, communicative, and begging to be driven as hard as possible. The M6 is the antithesis of that ethos.
http://www.motortrend.com/features/p...r/viewall.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Ricard View Post
911, but if F types get down to 50k sooner rather than later, it would be enticing. Judging by 997.2 prices, the 991 wont drop much more.... At this point.

911 prices be dumb.
You'll need to wait 2 more years for that...
Old Sun, Oct-18-2015, 03:33:12 PM   #10
fitchesbass
I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it

United States

you can get 2013 Carrera S's under 70k with ~20k miles at auction. I've been looking

Prior BMWs:
E36 M3
E86 Z4MC
E92 M3
Jump to top fitchesbass is offline   Reply With Quote