BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > Faults, Fixes and DIY
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Faults, Fixes and DIY Please share your experience and knowledge with other members by contributing your own DIY, or by helping another member find the elusive fix!

Old Thu, Jan-11-2018, 01:37:33 AM   #1
ndyvidual

In the garage:

United States

Default E46 M3 Exhaust Tip Replacement

If your stock tips are damaged and you want to replace them, here’s a quick DIY on how that’s done. Note that I did not need to remove the exhaust to perform this DIY.

Each tip on the E46 M3 is riveted on with three rivets each. You’d need twelve rivets if you want to replace all four tips. I suggest buying extras in case you have problems or lose a few.

I needed:

Parts:
Exhaust tip: Part # 18107832644
Rivets: Part # 07119903695

Tools:
Riveter: I used an HP-2 HEAVY DUTY RIVETER from aircraftspruce.com
Exhaust Cutoff Tool (quickest) or Dremel tool with some fresh bits. I used a Kobalt air cutoff tool.

1. [OPTIONAL] Get the car up on jack stands (so you have more room to work when you need to apply squeezing pressure on the riveter for the top rivet. More on this later).

2. Remove your diffuser. Even better to remove your bumper cover, but I didn't do that and was successful.

3. Use a cutoff tool to cut the heads off of the existing rivets. As you cut, the head will disappear, but you’ll need to cut into the exhaust tip’s outer surface a bit to get the hole to expand enough for the rivet body to loosen (so the burrs are not holding the tip).

4. Slip off the old tip by hand and then use a small pick tool to get the rivet stub still stuck in the pipe’s inner cylinder off. Use a few more passes with the cutoff tool if it’s not completely loose but don’t disturb the inner cylinder’s hole as the new rivet needs that hole intact.

5. Test fit your new rivets into each hole of the new exhaust tip and the inner pipe separately. That way you know which one is tight and can make any tweaks quickly. Also, I had to file down the inside of the new exhaust tip hole as it had some burrs which didn’t allow it to easily slip on. Lastly, if your exhaust inner pipe is not circular, this will become quite the chore as this metal is quite thick and not easily bended back into a proper circle. I didn’t have that issue as my tip sacrificed itself to save the rest of the exhaust it seems.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0148.JPG (487.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0145.JPG (305.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0140.JPG (201.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0146.JPG (359.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0149.JPG (433.9 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by ndyvidual; Mon, Jan-22-2018 at 09:01:25 PM.
Jump to top ndyvidual is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Jan-11-2018, 01:42:20 AM   #2
ndyvidual

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: E46 M3 Exhaust Tip Replacement

6. With the tip in place, twist it so that the rivets are fit easily and are flush with the surface. When you’re happy with the fit of all three, get your riveter and squeeze the bottom two first. The OEM rivet (the portion that you inserted into the holes) could be just slightly too long so they don’t sit perfectly flush, so make a partial squeeze which will flatten it partially from underneath, then make a second partial squeeze. Then it won’t be too long and should sit flush.

7. For the top one, you have very little space. Now that the two below are secure, pull the top test fit rivet out with your hand (it’s still loose) and put it into your riveter. It’s the only way I could get the rivet and riveter in that space. I positioned my riveter so that the handles are parallel with the exhaust (point to the driver side). Then get some gloves and squeeze your hands up in the space and squeeze as much as you can. Once the rivet is halfway installed, I then moved the riveter so that the handles are facing out the back of the bumper area and then finished it with ease. And you're left with three sacrificial rivet rods on your garage floor as a reward. After that, you’re done!

This took me about 40min to do including taking pictures and figuring out what to do (this was my first time doing this.). I hope it was helpful and it’s not complicated to do once you get into it.

And yes, my car did get a bath after this install. Keeping clean after a New England blizzard is tough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0151.JPG (421.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0150.JPG (467.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0152.JPG (143.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0155.JPG (153.6 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by ndyvidual; Thu, Jan-11-2018 at 02:14:03 AM.
Jump to top ndyvidual is offline   Reply With Quote