BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > Faults, Fixes and DIY
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Faults, Fixes and DIY Please share your experience and knowledge with other members by contributing your own DIY, or by helping another member find the elusive fix!

Old Tue, Oct-07-2008, 07:30:36 AM   #31
///M3_N_DaWerks

Viet Nam

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaminT View Post
I guess my reason for asking was the general location relation to the car....i.e. near the firewall or further back near where the shifter would be. After thinking about it more, with all the covers on the bottom side of the car this may not be a great way to tell anyway. Bottom line is to get it on a lift or stands and pull the under cover off the tranny to identify where it is coming from.

I can't image it coming from the pump unless it is leaking around the reservior hose. I am betting on the clutch slave cylinder but it is just a guess.

Would this cause for me to fill up my SMG tank up all the time? I know that when I got my S/C installed they made a new tank to hold the fluid for it. Would it be safe to say my SMG pump is not going out?

[/IMG]Car: Alpine White E46 M3 | Sunroof | Xenon | NAV | SMG |
Mods: CSL Bumper, CSL Trunk, CSL Diffuser, CSL Interior, Defi Gauges, BBS LM's, Toyo T1R 235/275, White Volk Racing TE37, Red BBS Center Caps and Lugnuts, TCKline Stud Kit, Praxis Air Ride Suspension, Brembo GT Brakes Front and Rear, Goodridge Brake lines, HPF Turbo Stage 2 with Meth, Dixis Exhaust, Dixis Pedals, Dixis Strut Bar, Phatbox, CF Fender Grills.
Jump to top ///M3_N_DaWerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Oct-07-2008, 03:09:47 PM   #32
m3 hal

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3_N_DaWerks View Post
There is actually the CHF11s oil droppings on my garage floor. Would that be an easy fix?
If you have another car you can drive, or maybe on a weekend, clean the garage floor under the engine and tranny and get the car up on jackstands, and leave it for a day or two (or only a few hours if that is all it takes) to drip a little oil. Then get under the car and use the oil spots to try to determine where the leak is coming from.
Jump to top m3 hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Oct-07-2008, 03:11:46 PM   #33
m3 hal

United States

Quote:
Would this cause for me to fill up my SMG tank up all the time? I know that when I got my S/C installed they made a new tank to hold the fluid for it. Would it be safe to say my SMG pump is not going out?
Actually I would bet the problem lies somewhere with this new reservoir.
Jump to top m3 hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Oct-08-2008, 06:28:03 AM   #34
mr.andersen

United States

Quote:
Dude, this info could have been helpful 4 pages ago.
Jump to top mr.andersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Oct-13-2008, 05:27:57 AM   #35
Chris(NJ)
Back home in Jersey

United States

nice writeup! Actually doesnt seem TOO bad of a diy. Curious on how long it took you.
2002 Topaz/Black M3-Slicktop-SMG: OEM CSL Bootlid, Mini-CSL Battery, TMS Pulleys, Stoptech SS Lines, Borla muffler & Midpipe, Hotchkis Sways, Eibach Springs, RE RSMs, PowerFlex Rtabs, PowerFlex Subframe Bushings, TMS Subframe Reinforcement, Blk Grills, Blk Side Gills, VCSL Center Console, Euro Front Bumper, Hamann Fog Ducts, ACS Lower Lip Spoiler, FUCY Rear Diffuser, LED Tail upgrade w/ outer ring mod, D/A street software, RPI Scoops, e92 m3 18" rims w/ PS2s
Jump to top Chris(NJ) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Oct-13-2008, 06:07:21 AM   #36
mr.andersen

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris(NJ) View Post
nice writeup! Actually doesnt seem TOO bad of a diy. Curious on how long it took you.
I didn't keep track of actual hours, since i was doing this in my spare time after work. i think all in all it was about 20 hours for me (i am very rusty). i really had a tough time removing hydraulic lines, and at one point was considering taking a dremmel those those things. good thing, cooler heads prevailed
Old Sun, Aug-09-2009, 10:01:42 PM   #37
jprince21

i just changed mine at 56k dealer wanted $3500 to do it. got them down to $1500
Old Mon, Aug-10-2009, 04:47:07 PM   #38
mr.andersen

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprince21 View Post
i just changed mine at 56k dealer wanted $3500 to do it. got them down to $1500
wow, thats amazing bargaining skills considering the fact that the pump is 1500 did they replace the entire unit or just the pressure accumulator? Or did they find a good pre-owned pump?
Old Tue, Aug-11-2009, 01:11:37 AM   #39
VitaminT

United States

Sounds like they did a "goodwill" on the parts and you just paid labor or something because like the other person said the pump alone online is like $1400.
Jump to top VitaminT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Sep-03-2009, 01:33:45 PM   #40
opelveve

United States

how did u know that ur SMG pump must replace with anther one??
wat is the problem u had in ur car plz?
i have a problem in my SMG
wn im in traffic my gear go to N then back its self
or if i drive too fast in 1st ,2nd,3rd gear the light for my gear comes on....
o dont know wat to do ??!!!
i put my m3 2004 on the computer and the problem is the smg relay
i change it and the problrm stay
so i have to change the smg pump or wat??
and i found this pdf file on the net please read it guys and tell me wat u think about it
http://www.ne.jp/asahi/kitaho2/bmw-m...unit-relay.pdf

Last edited by opelveve; Thu, Sep-03-2009 at 01:49:35 PM.
Jump to top opelveve is offline   Reply With Quote