BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > Member Journals
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Member Journals Do you have a long term project you would like to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old Mon, Aug-29-2016, 09:14:36 AM   #831
TheGenius46M

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: ///M_Achilles: 2005 Carbon Black Metallic M3

Damn just saw the video and ouch that was painful to watch. You could tell mid corner that the car was becoming insanely unsettled right before you lost it. Sucks, especially since it looks like you did a cool down the lap prior.

I've heard those R1s are really sketchy when they get out, so really nothing you could have done to save it.

Oh and kinda off topic, but Eric's Porsche is a 930, not 993. I've personally been to his house a few times to see the incredible beast

]

My Build Thread | My Build Journal | Instagram:@thegenius46m
Jump to top TheGenius46M is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Aug-29-2016, 04:42:58 PM   #832
///M_Achilles
"Visor down for business"

In the garage:

Philippines

Default Re: ///M_Achilles: 2005 Carbon Black Metallic M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Love the AKG shifter!!! Don't regret not spending another $500 on the CAE unit.

I really admire that you drive with the shield down. I have a terrible habit of driving with it up. I need to stop that.

Do you think your diff was acting funny or worn out? I get the feeling in my car is its too slow to lock. When it does, it locks abruptly and holds on too long which makes the rear end very difficult to control and non-responsive. I had a Metric Mechanic 3 clutch LSD and that definitely felt like it was working with me. Vs the M3 M lock which felt equivalent to arguing with my wife. (Obviously she never comes on this board if I said that)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The AKG shifter is such a great bang for the buck and can certainly hold its own compared to the more expensive CAE. It looks better for the interior too. The visor down for business has been habit even back in my auto cross days. Makes the car more streamline lol!

Interesting you mentioned the diff. It's a actually a Jim Blanton diff that's been in the car since 2013. I'm not sure if the needed to be rebuilt but up until that crash the car handled predictably and traction was good. Between the diff perhaps giving up and not offering the lock needed or the tires being pushed too hard, I honestly can't say what made matters worse when the car was unsettled after hitting the apex. In my humble opinion, once the rear came around, didn't look like I could have done much to save it. Oh well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3freak86 View Post
Damn, Josh. I don't frequent here as often as I used to, but came across your youtube video and it lead my back here to see what happened. Pains me to see it banged up after so long with it. Definitely one of the m3's I followed from the start and watched you build it up. She will be missed, but I'll be interested to watch your progression with the P-Car. Best of luck with everything my dude.

Hey Chris! Sad now that we're both out of our CB M3's lol although I would have preferred that my car was still in one piece like yours (where ever it may be now). I do like to remember a few years ago when we both were modding our CB m3's. Good times

I'm excited to take the Cayman R and build in similar fashion. We'll see...
Thanks btw and all the best to you too man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jickel180 View Post
Came in here to shed a tear for my CB E46 homie, left with a fap for that beautiful Cayman R. It's perfect! Can't wait to check it out in person, and you can drive my E46 anytime you want to go back down memory lane.

Lol sweet! I'll take you up on that offer
Also, that sweet HPC carbon fiber rear seat delete is gonna look

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerBroker View Post
Super sucks dude. Glad I got to meet you via the M3, holler next time you're at COTA.

You got it man; looking forward to that next meet

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGenius46M View Post
Damn just saw the video and ouch that was painful to watch. You could tell mid corner that the car was becoming insanely unsettled right before you lost it. Sucks, especially since it looks like you did a cool down the lap prior.

I've heard those R1s are really sketchy when they get out, so really nothing you could have done to save it.

Oh and kinda off topic, but Eric's Porsche is a 930, not 993. I've personally been to his house a few times to see the incredible beast

Learning the hard way about slicks lol. They were predictable IMO up until that point. Maybe a little more snappy but catchable. That last turn felt like hydroplaning

Lol need to brush up on my 911 models

Sent from my squat rack

Jump to top ///M_Achilles is offline   Reply With Quote