BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > Member Journals
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Member Journals Do you have a long term project you would like to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old Sun, Aug-07-2016, 07:52:42 AM   #791
///M_Achilles
"Visor down for business"

In the garage:

Philippines

Default Re: ///M_Achilles: 2005 Carbon Black Metallic M3

Update

It's been almost four months since that weekend at COTA. Almost five years of tracking my M3 without so much as rubber marks from sticky tires trackrats are so accustomed to using. But alas, T19 at COTA had my number; the rear came around and despite my past experience of always recovering, this was one slide the car wasn't going to make it out of in splendid Chris Harris fashion. The ARMCO feels harder than it appears and did its job stopping my M3 before my front bumper made it halfway across the formula 1 track. Honestly, the damn thing probably didn't even notice the front passenger corner had smashed into it, which caused the rear to come around and slap it again for some nasty seconds. In fact, I'm sure it didn't even wince as it was designed to stop formula 1 race machines blasting by with ample downforce. Meanwhile, I'm still inside my wrecked M3 strapped down with my 6-point harness, hands back on the steering wheel after impact with one foot down on the clutch and car in first gear. Adrenaline doing its job quite well at this point, I was more than ready to get out of the way of on-coming drivers speeding by the blind corner that had claimed my M3. Slowly releasing the clutch and asking my M3 to propel itself forward one more time gave way to a concoction of popping, and scraping of metals. I immediately depressed the clutch again to stop inflicting more damage. And then it finally hit me. Down to the final seconds of a championship game with no way of coming back to win; that feeling of knowing the car will never be the same. To my relief, yellow flags were thrown at the preceding corner slowing down the drivers, which meant no body would be adding insult to injury by T-boning the perfect condition driver side. Traffic slowed at a Toyota Prius pace around the corner to get a good view of the carnage. Drivers and cars that I had just passed a lap or two before now returned the favor in perfectly working condition. Track support finally came to my aid along with an EMT. The engine, surprisingly, was still at idle with no warnings to indicate something had been damaged and to this day is still working perfectly. With the engine turned off, I began to undo the harness and make my way out of the car. I was in good health and not even sore, despite how much my head had moved during impact. Unfortunately, that was the last day the M3 would move under her own power. The flatbed truck transported her back into the paddock.

"All good things must come to end..."
The M3 is currently on jack stands in my garage, and the extent of the damage are mounting points for the front sway bar, control arms, rear axle output shaft, etc. but I don’t believe it’s beyond repair. Perhaps with a large amount of money and the obligatory blood, sweat and tears it would be back to its old self and even better. So, my initial plan was to use this opportunity to completely rebuild into a full race car. I had plans of grandeur with a custom built Lucas Racing roll cage, a race built 5-speed ZF transmission with a lightweight flywheel to compliment, JRZ RS Pros, updated Recaro’s, AIM MXL Strada, cool shirt system, aero, CF roof, PTG front quarter panels, PTG hood and the list goes on. Moving away from my M3 was a decision not taken lightly, but deep down it just would never be the same and perhaps more expensive to get the M3 in its final form vs finding another capable platform. And so for the past couple months, I’ve been contemplating about my next car. Naturally, most e46 m3 owners would progress to Porsche, specifically, a GT car, but a 911 wasn’t in the cards for me just now. Even older generations of the GT3 were either outside of my budget or I couldn’t find an example with low enough miles. A Porsche GT4 would be perfect, but again, with all the allocations being sold at mark-up, I wouldn’t be owning it anytime soon. The decision came down to the Porsche Cayman GTS or the Porsche Cayman R as my next platform. They both have their pro’s and con’s and the decision wasn’t easy; first world problems, amirite? The Cayman GTS is perfect in every way that I can think of. From the amazing exterior design to the alcantara GTS package interior, it embodies what the perfect sports car should be. And how can I dismiss that amazing exhaust note! My perfectly spec’d GTS would be equipped with X73 sport suspension and Porsche Torque Vectoring, while Sapphire Blue Metallic would shield the outside. Last, but not least, three pedals and a stick. While the PDK would have been the ultimate in lap times, my particular GTS would have been an exercise of driving pleasure, although equally as competent as more track focused Porsche’s. Going this route would also mean trading in my Duramax and just having the GTS to serve as my DD and the occasional track day. Comparatively, the Cayman R is the smaller, more focused vehicle of the two. The fact that it still uses fluid to power its steering rack is a testament that the R is more about transferring feedback to the driver. The sport carbon bucket seats are there for more than just looks, but to serve as median for what is going on between the tires and asphalt. In truth, the Cayman R won me over for more than just its analog driving way of things. It represented a bit of what the M3 CSL meant to the BMW enthusiast. Lightened, unadulterated in the purist sense of driving. My particular Cayman was optioned with A/C and radio, but with a manual transmission and carbon bucket seats it’s much lighter than the S variant and much lighter still than the e46 M3 while having comparable power to the wheels.

2012 Porsche Cayman R
Aqua Blue Metallic
CF Sport Bucket seats w/ alcantara
Air Conditioning / Bose Radio / bi-xenon headlights / Porsche Sport Exhaust / Sport shifter / Floor mats
PCCB, modified with Girodisc steel slotted rotors and SS brake lines
JRZ RS1 dampers / TPC drop links / TPC toe links / TPC adjustable sway bars / RSS adjustable front control arms

I will always love the BMW e46 m3 and I will own another example in the future without a doubt. Repairs are in order to get it rolling again and with some luck, I will have found another M3 fanatic to take care of it. I will surely miss this car when it’s gone. Updating of this journal will continue with repairs and to the lucky buyer; hopefully, they’ll pick up right where I stopped in the build. That’s all I have for now. Thanks for viewing!

Jump to top ///M_Achilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Aug-07-2016, 08:16:45 AM   #792
Flow

In the garage:

France

Wow. So sorry to read all that.
I guess your M3 died / got hurt on the battlefield, which is an honor
I hope you enjoyed every minute of it.
Your new Cayman looks spectacular. Congratulations. Looking forward to a journal
Old Sun, Aug-07-2016, 08:10:35 PM   #793
///M_Achilles

In the garage:

Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flow View Post
Wow. So sorry to read all that.
I guess your M3 died / got hurt on the battlefield, which is an honor
I hope you enjoyed every minute of it.
Your new Cayman looks spectacular. Congratulations. Looking forward to a journal
Thanks man! I'm really looking forward to tracking and enjoying the Cayman R; it's such a capable car and definitely usable day to day. I'm going to miss the M3 for sure though

Old Sun, Aug-07-2016, 08:25:08 PM   #794
Vox Populi

United States

Where's your new journal gonna be for those of us who want to follow along?

Build Thread
Jump to top Vox Populi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Aug-07-2016, 08:33:29 PM   #795
Flow

In the garage:

France

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M_Achilles View Post
Thanks man! I'm really looking forward to tracking and enjoying the Cayman R; it's such a capable car and definitely usable day to day. I'm going to miss the M3 for sure though
A Cayman sounds like a really good option to replace an M3 for sure.
I'm happy that you are not giving up tracking because of this incident, because a lot of us (me included) would certainly think about quitting.

+1 to a link to your new journal, I am very interested.

Also, you have really good writing / story telling talents. I would have preferred a better ending for your E46, but the read was good nonetheless
Old Sun, Aug-07-2016, 08:59:07 PM   #796
///M_Achilles

In the garage:

Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox Populi View Post
Where's your new journal gonna be for those of us who want to follow along?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flow View Post
A Cayman sounds like a really good option to replace an M3 for sure.
I'm happy that you are not giving up tracking because of this incident, because a lot of us (me included) would certainly think about quitting.

+1 to a link to your new journal, I am very interested.

Also, you have really good writing / story telling talents. I would have preferred a better ending for your E46, but the read was good nonetheless
I'll for sure post a link to the new journal. I'm a bit undecided if I want to use Plantet 9 or Rennlist to document my progress. I'd be the new kid on the block on either of those boards and i'll be honest that I like m3forum.net for the simple reason I've made some good friends over the years IRL. My goal is actually to launch a blog about my ownership, car reviews, helpful articles, photo gallery, car news, etc...
So if everything goes to plan, you all can see what's going on there

Old Mon, Aug-08-2016, 12:11:22 AM   #797
Blanchimont
License Revoked

In the garage:

India

Oh man sorry to hear about this, but we are glad you are in one piece talking about it.

Deep down it must feel like you lost something you loved and spent so much effort to build up... But good to see you moving on from it. Looks like you picked a great platform as well, please do keep this journal updated with the P-car.

Life is all about the journey and experiencing different automotive platforms.

God speed brother

Jump to top Blanchimont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Aug-08-2016, 01:47:36 AM   #798
Vmals89

In the garage:

United States

Sorry to hear about the bimmer, but the cayman r is perfectly spec'd and modded. Just the way i'd have it... and that color!
Old Mon, Aug-08-2016, 02:51:02 AM   #799
M clunk

Canada

Very sad to hear about the M3, Josh

New car is awesome! They look, and sound so good.

I've never seen one driven properly on the track unfortunately, so I don't know how fast they are compared to the E46 M3, but I'm sure you will find out soon enough
Old Mon, Aug-08-2016, 05:12:27 AM   #800
///M_Achilles

In the garage:

Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanchimont View Post
Oh man sorry to hear about this, but we are glad you are in one piece talking about it.

Deep down it must feel like you lost something you loved and spent so much effort to build up... But good to see you moving on from it. Looks like you picked a great platform as well, please do keep this journal updated with the P-car.

Life is all about the journey and experiencing different automotive platforms.

God speed brother
Thank you so much man. You're right, I doubt my addiction will stop with the Cayman, and that there will be a variety of cars to come in garage and perhaps another M3 even. Every time i think of closing a deal for the m3 i'm equally remind of all the hard work it took to get the car where it was once was at its highest form. But I know moving on is what's best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmals89 View Post
Sorry to hear about the bimmer, but the cayman r is perfectly spec'd and modded. Just the way i'd have it... and that color!
Aqua blue is simply beautiful and classy. I love it. I can't wait to actually see it in person, LOL! From the looks of the pictures, I won't be disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M clunk View Post
Very sad to hear about the M3, Josh

New car is awesome! They look, and sound so good.

I've never seen one driven properly on the track unfortunately, so I don't know how fast they are compared to the E46 M3, but I'm sure you will find out soon enough
I'm a little saddened I no longer have a CB M3 that was even close to the perfection of yours. For a moment, we were driving similar cars I'm looking forward to pushing the Cayman to its limits and finding out how it compares to my fully modified M3. My research of laptimes at COTA shows that they're capable of laptimes some three seconds quicker in near stock form. Perhaps it was more of a showcase of the driver's skills, but the mid engine layout with less weight should result in some serious lap time no doubt. Thank you for your support bro. I'm personally looking forward to where your racing leads.

================================================== ================

And now some pictures leading up to the COTA event. I installed another OEM fuel pump to complete my fuel starvation kit. It worked perfectly at the event.