BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > Member Journals
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Member Journals Do you have a long term project you would like to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old Sat, Aug-06-2016, 10:05:07 PM   #41
///M_Achilles
"Visor down for business"

In the garage:

Philippines

Default Re: paffy GTS4 build

Made respect for doing all of this. I can't even throw a stick at how to begin a project of that magnitude

Jump to top ///M_Achilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Aug-08-2016, 01:34:52 AM   #42
Samsonite79

In the garage:

China

Overall the cage is looking great, that CAD on paper templates for copes makes it look easy, keep it up! Few tips from my experience; just remember to plan ahead before welding 360*, it's pretty easy to trap yourself. If you haven't mig welded tubing, it's really tricky at first but once you get the motion down and right body position when welding you'll be okay. Just do a few practice runs before laying down metal. Have fun!

*Track Prep: NT-01 275s on 18" ARC-8, MCS Two Way 550/650, Hawk DTC70, Turner arms & Carbon Fiber Brk duct, Reddish subframe plates, HPF Oil cooler, Spal 16" Fan, VAC CSL Airbox, SS V1 Header, and TTFS Custom Tune.
*Safety Setup: 10pt Welded Roll cage, Sparco Circuit, Schroth 6pt Harnesses, and HANS Device.
Jump to top Samsonite79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Aug-08-2016, 02:14:06 AM   #43
paffy

Czech_Republic

I've finished cutting all the tubing !!!

TIG time.

Jump to top paffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Aug-08-2016, 02:18:05 AM   #44
paffy

Czech_Republic

I'd love to create perfect "stacks of dimes", but it's not happening with my minimal welding experience At least I have good penetration. Hopefully it will get better with time.

Any TIG welder in NYC area want to volunteer ???

Old Mon, Aug-08-2016, 02:27:11 AM   #45
paffy

Czech_Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsonite79 View Post
Overall the cage is looking great, that CAD on paper templates for copes makes it look easy, keep it up! Few tips from my experience; just remember to plan ahead before welding 360*, it's pretty easy to trap yourself. If you haven't mig welded tubing, it's really tricky at first but once you get the motion down and right body position when welding you'll be okay. Just do a few practice runs before laying down metal. Have fun!

I'm using 4130 tubing, so for whatever the technical reason is, I've learned how to TIG weld instead of MIG. I've got some nice practice welds that passed an inspection by certified welder and my own "testing to failure".

But the sharp angles and the lack of access make me feel like I'm in slightly over my head....
Old Mon, Aug-08-2016, 02:47:07 AM   #46
mdavidm3

In the garage:

United States

Sub'd. A whole lot of great work here!

AKG||Euro Headers||Tilton Twin Disk Clutch||RTD||Mishimoto||Customized Bimmerworld Race Exhaust||Kirk Rollbar||Schroth||Sparco||Momo||OMP||Ground Control||Eibach||JRZ RSpro (rear coilover)||PFC Z31 BBK||Enkei NT03||Maxxis RC-1

Trackspec Autosports
MMI Vehicle Systems
Ravenol
IG: MD__M3
Jump to top mdavidm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Aug-08-2016, 02:55:32 AM   #47
bigjae1976

In the garage:

United States

Awesome work so far! You're inspiring me to get welding. It's just been too damn hot.

Most cages I've seen built that don't involve cutting the roof will start with the main hoop and forward pillars. Tack in the roof and windshield bars then cut holes in the floor to drop the structure. Weld everything 360 degrees and then plate the floor. That's my plan.

Shouldn't have an issue otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top bigjae1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Aug-08-2016, 03:38:45 AM   #48
paffy

Czech_Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Awesome work so far! You're inspiring me to get welding. It's just been too damn hot.

Most cages I've seen built that don't involve cutting the roof will start with the main hoop and forward pillars. Tack in the roof and windshield bars then cut holes in the floor to drop the structure. Weld everything 360 degrees and then plate the floor. That's my plan.

Shouldn't have an issue otherwise.

My plan is slightly different. The main hoop is touching the sides of the car, so I have to weld the plates to it first, then weld the whole thing to the car. Also the door bars to mainhoop welds would be inaccessible, so that has to be welded while shifted forward.

I just hope my plans works.
Old Mon, Aug-08-2016, 03:47:10 AM   #49
bigjae1976

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by paffy View Post
My plan is slightly different. The main hoop is touching the sides of the car, so I have to weld the plates to it first, then weld the whole thing to the car. Also the door bars to mainhoop welds would be inaccessible, so that has to be welded while shifted forward.

I just hope my plans works.

I'm worried about the door bars in my car too. I want to get the A pillars coming down as close to the firewall as possible but then it makes the door bar that much harder. You might have a harder time with the TIG torch.

I've seen most add a tolerance so there is a space between the bar and the body panels. I've seen 1" for a car with the interior going back in to a 1/2".

Again, great job! Especially on the notching, that looks like a PIA. Keep us updated!

Jump to top bigjae1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Aug-08-2016, 05:54:39 AM   #50
Samsonite79

In the garage:

China

Quote:
Originally Posted by paffy View Post
I'm using 4130 tubing, so for whatever the technical reason is, I've learned how to TIG weld instead of MIG. I've got some nice practice welds that passed an inspection by certified welder and my own "testing to failure".

But the sharp angles and the lack of access make me feel like I'm in slightly over my head....
Oh, TIG is one of the most difficult welding process to get right. You gotta have a 100% clean tubing with no scale and rust till it's shiny, plus clean the area with acetone. It's more difficult to TIG with a pedal when you're out of position, so try setting the machine manually for 0.125" or whatever thickness you're using and set it to 4T w/ a finger trigger, so you won't have to mess with a foot pedal. Just watch the puddle and move at a consistent pace to get your stack of dimes. When I'm MIG welded my cage, it's more difficult to weld something you can't see... like blind area so you might want to get the motion down before doing blind welds. Looking at those welds, I'm guessing you're travel speed is slow and spread out too far ahead, my guess it's because of the odd shape of the tube that's causing you to do that. :-) I also had a hard time supporting my mig gun causing uneven welds.

Welding the main hoop to a plinth block or box would be the most optimal way to drop the cage down to weld the a-pillar bars and door bars, if you also plan to drill a hole in the front it'll make it more accessible too.

I'm not an expert or anything just sharing my experience while building my cage and a lemons race car. I didn't really get any help either, so I know how overwhelming it can become.

Good luck!

*Track Prep: NT-01 275s on 18" ARC-8, MCS Two Way 550/650, Hawk DTC70, Turner arms & Carbon Fiber Brk duct, Reddish subframe plates, HPF Oil cooler, Spal 16" Fan, VAC CSL Airbox, SS V1 Header, and TTFS Custom Tune.
*Safety Setup: 10pt Welded Roll cage, Sparco Circuit, Schroth 6pt Harnesses, and HANS Device.
Jump to top Samsonite79 is offline   Reply With Quote