BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sun, Sep-06-2015, 06:42:05 PM   #11
bimmerdriver

In the garage:

Canada

Default Re: Autosolutions Complete Kit Installation

I got the pin installed with minimal force. I wasn't getting good photos with my camera because it was having trouble focusing so I tried another approach. I blackened the end of the pin with a felt pen and inserted it into the hole. That showed me the misalignment. It took only a couple of tries to get it aligned so there was no visible misalignment. At that point, the pin still wouldn't insert with finger pressure, so I lightly tapped it with a 3/8" ratchet. It went almost all the way in. I wiggled the transmission up and down while tapping and it went the rest of the way in. That's the ticket.
2002 (12/2001) M3 6MT Coupe Carbon Black on Black - ZCP/CSL Wheels, 245/35/19 Mich PS2 & 285/30/19 Conti ExtremeContact DW, H&R 15 mm Front Spacers, CSL F/R Brakes, EBC Redstuff, TMS SS F/R Brake Lines, PSS9, TMS F/R Sway Bars, TMS Rear Control Arms, TMS Underdrive Pulleys, TMS/Carbonio Intake, Eisenmann Exhaust, AutoSolutions 30% SSK, BMW Illuminated Shift Knob, BMW Performance Pedals, BMW Performance 4.10 R&P, CDV Delete, Flossmann GTR Carbon Fiber Hood/Trunk, Carbon Fiber Rear Diffuser, Euro Front Signal Lights, Euro Rear Tail Lights, Angel Eyes, Homelink

1997 328is 5MT Coupe Madeira Violet on Black - Staggered M Forged Double Spoke Wheels, Bilstein Sport, H&R Sport, M Tech Rear Spoiler (Sold)
Jump to top bimmerdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Sep-06-2015, 08:47:09 PM   #12
///M_Achilles
"Visor down for business"

In the garage:

Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3 hal View Post
I chamfered the edge of the pin. Took only a few minutes to install.

This. I took a filer and made the edges of the pin dull. This is the hardest part of the job, no doubt. Somewhat comical to read about your pain (no offense). A right of passage because we know what you're going through, but you'll soon be on the other side of the pond and can read the next poor soul's review of the install. that being said, I supported the transmission with a low profile jack lifting the transmission and pressing the carrier against the tunnel. Took a long dowel and dead blow hammer to tap the carrier into position. I used a cheap dental kit i bought at Walmart (the small mirror) to check my position. It sucks. No way around it. GL

Sent from my squat rack

Jump to top ///M_Achilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Sep-07-2015, 03:47:31 AM   #13
kkamakasi
울산박

South Korea

oh gawd... the pin alignment.
It's been 2 years since I did this and just thinking about it still gets my blood pressure up.
Jump to top kkamakasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Sep-07-2015, 04:19:54 AM   #14
bimmerdriver

In the garage:

Canada

Well, it's done and I took the car for a test drive. What a difference! I'm really impressed. The shifter is somewhat stiff and more notchy, but the precision is amazing. I also like the shorter throw and shorter lever.

As I said previously, I was able to get the pin inserted with minimal force by aligning the carrier. I did not have to chamfer the pin. I prefer the method I used for aligning the carrier to get the pin inserted rather than using force.

The reassembly process went without a hitch. I took my time and power washed the underbody trays and exhaust shield and did some degreasing. Also did an oil change and vacuumed the car. Also looked at the RACP, which shows no signs of cracking.

The only thing I wish I had done was get a new set of rear fasteners for section 2. They weren't in terrible condition, but they were more corroded than I would prefer. The front fasteners were in good condition. I replaced both the front and rear gaskets. The rear gaskets were in good enough condition to have been reused, but the front gaskets definitely needed to be replaced.

I wasn't sure what to expect coming from the UUC shifter. The build quality of the UUC shifter and DSSR is good, but I think its downfall is relying upon the OEM carrier bushing. It's too soft. I also think the AutoSolutions selector rod design is better, because it eliminates play for the pins. The UUC DSSR is very well made, but I believe the design introduces more play because the pin is not fixed like the AutoSolutions selector rod. I don't think the improvements of the evo3 address either of those issues.
2002 (12/2001) M3 6MT Coupe Carbon Black on Black - ZCP/CSL Wheels, 245/35/19 Mich PS2 & 285/30/19 Conti ExtremeContact DW, H&R 15 mm Front Spacers, CSL F/R Brakes, EBC Redstuff, TMS SS F/R Brake Lines, PSS9, TMS F/R Sway Bars, TMS Rear Control Arms, TMS Underdrive Pulleys, TMS/Carbonio Intake, Eisenmann Exhaust, AutoSolutions 30% SSK, BMW Illuminated Shift Knob, BMW Performance Pedals, BMW Performance 4.10 R&P, CDV Delete, Flossmann GTR Carbon Fiber Hood/Trunk, Carbon Fiber Rear Diffuser, Euro Front Signal Lights, Euro Rear Tail Lights, Angel Eyes, Homelink

1997 328is 5MT Coupe Madeira Violet on Black - Staggered M Forged Double Spoke Wheels, Bilstein Sport, H&R Sport, M Tech Rear Spoiler (Sold)
Old Mon, Sep-07-2015, 05:19:08 AM   #15
tjpatte

United States

It'll loosen up after a couple of hundred miles. Have about 50k on my 30% and still feels great.
Old Tue, Sep-08-2015, 06:46:58 PM   #16
Tp///M3
Got ///M?

Laos

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjpatte View Post
It'll loosen up after a couple of hundred miles. Have about 50k on my 30% and still feels great.
Ahh.... the pain of aligning the pin.

I actually like the mechanically feel when it's new. One of the best mods for the car. BMW should have done this from factory. IMHO.

04 CarbonBlack/ImolaRed
Jump to top Tp///M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Sep-08-2015, 07:12:13 PM   #17
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjpatte View Post
Yep! Report back in 500 miles! It gets much less notchy in short order.

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, Wife's 6mt NA RWD e91, 04 M3 wagon
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Sep-08-2015, 08:27:23 PM   #18
OldFanatic
19 yr BMWCCA Member

United States

since the old pin is a pain to get off I just bought a new second pin. they're so inexpensive why not?
I test fitted the new one to the AutoSolution kit, chamfered the pin's tip ever so slightly. I read where people freeze the pin the night before to aid in fitment. it went in without much hassle. I also used a smaller bolt (size) than pin as my alignment starter. wiggle it around inside prior gets it aligned. doing these tricks it went in easier than my previous UUC kit.

but I feel your pain being a first timer.
-SANS SUNROOF-
Jump to top OldFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Nov-09-2015, 06:04:56 AM   #19
bimmerdriver

In the garage:

Canada

It's a while since I installed the shifter. As expected, it loosened up somewhat (in terms of effort), but it is still very precise. No regrets at all. I highly recommend the AS shifter.

Old Mon, Nov-09-2015, 01:38:58 PM   #20
Stage3Rides

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerdriver View Post
It's a while since I installed the shifter. As expected, it loosened up somewhat (in terms of effort), but it is still very precise. No regrets at all. I highly recommend the AS shifter.
I was actually just thinking about my 20% AS SSK kit that I've had installed in my car since the spring. I think it's my favorite mod that I've done to my car so far. I just love how it pops into gear; super precise and no excess force needed. Everyone needs to do this mod!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2003.5 IR E46 M3
| Apex ARC-8s | Dinan CAI | TTFS Tune | AS 20% SSK | CPI Stepped Headers | AR20'd OEM Section 1 | SGT SCZA Section 3 | TMS Power Pulleys | AFE Intake Elbow |
| SGT CF CSL Trunk Lid | SGT Rear Diffuser | K-Sport Coilovers | ZCP Shift Knob | TMS Subframe Kit | BW Motor Mounts | RE Tranny Mounts | Avin Avant 2 |
Jump to top Stage3Rides is offline   Reply With Quote