BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > M3 Frequently Asked Questions > E46 FAQ
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Old Wed, Oct-14-2009, 10:59:19 PM   #1
Stone-man
The world's full of apathy, but I don't care

In the garage:

United States

Default E46 performance on a budget (AKA bang for the buck)

Hey there fellow enthusiasts,

I'm a recent addict who'd like a little more from my new toy (2006 'vert SMG).
Is there some kind of reference where I can find out which mods give the best return on investment and relative DIY-ability? Additionally, which mods would void an extended BMW warranty and what can you do and maintain it. If this already exists on this forum, please point me at it.

BTW, loved the post from another part of the forum. Something like "Learning to drive the M3 properly is the best performance mod you can get."

We could possibly arrange it by Engine/suspension/brakes/tire and wheel combos, etc.

ie: Best working exhaust system vs price (maybe add links to good deals).

Again, if all this has been done previously, pardon the "noob-i-ness" of this post, and just point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Oct-15-2009, 01:57:50 AM   #2
nairod

United States

Just search for it, basically it is what ever you can afford.
Jump to top nairod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-15-2009, 02:09:37 AM   #3
ZeroG

United States

Best Bang 4 the Buck performance wise are 4.10 gears.

BMW Special Tools: RTAB, FCAB, Shim Kit & Tool, Cam Holder, and Flywheel Lock
Jump to top ZeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-15-2009, 03:48:16 AM   #4
amanr87

United States

save some money and gain some power:

Intake:
-a high performance filter
-intake scoop which eurodyne sells
-manifold elbow sold by bimmerworld (or if you can find the gc gizmo)
price is around $200 at that point you could spend another $100-$200 and get a K&n intake or AFE. The stock e46 m3 airbox is quite good though and very little horsepower is gained from it.

Exhaust
Ebay headers go for around $200 they seem to be quite good a lot of the forum members have gone with them, personally i wouldn't just because they are from ebay. Headers give this car a pretty good power increase. You could keep your midpipes stock if your on budget same with the back exhaust section, although the car will be very load and raspy. There is minimal power gain from the rest of the exhaust if it is upgraded.

ECU reflash (chip)
if you get headers you must get a chip, popular cheap ones seem to be shark injector for around $300, its dyi no sending out your ecu.

Drivetrain:
4:10 gears are the way to go. This may wind up costing you around $1000-$1500 if you buy gears and have them installed by a shop. Also, short shifters are great they really change the feel of the shifting with the e46. Also a tranny fluid and diff swap to something like red line or royal purple makes shifting smoother.

Engine:
not sure if they provide more horsepower but you can upgrade the spark plugs (i personally wouldn't) but it seems to be popular across the forum. Pullies give you some power (not much).

Brakes:
stainless steel brake lines
the rest of the brake setup is quite good if you have life left in them. You could upgrade the pads, wouldn't replace rotors until they are due.

Suspension:
front strut bars are great for verts, i think verts came with them
sway bars by hotchkis, h&r, eibach, gc, tcklein, and uuc all have great reviews.
Coilovers are the best upgrade although they tend to be $1000 and up new
Also upgraded rtabs with the tms kit improve handling need a special tool to remove them and u need an alignment afterwards.

Wheels:
Wheels are on the expensive size, when people get wheels its either to a.)look good or b.) get lightweight wheels to loose unsprung weight. PS2's are the best tires for this car and any other sports car bar none!

Hope i helped everything is pretty much diy except the gears. good luck, sorry had no time for links.
Jump to top amanr87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-15-2009, 03:48:46 AM   #5
amanr87

United States

check out m3madrussian.org you will find all your answers
Jump to top amanr87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Oct-16-2009, 12:17:27 AM   #6
Stone-man
The world's full of apathy, but I don't care

In the garage:

United States

Thanks for the help! BTW, your link doesn't work (typo maybe?).
Old Fri, Oct-16-2009, 12:41:03 AM   #7
SilberFuchs
Visca el Barca!

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone-man View Post
Thanks for the help! BTW, your link doesn't work (typo maybe?).
He meant http://m3.madrussian.net/
///Mods - performance: OE CSL airbox w/ MAP sensor, OE CSL headers (Swaintech ceramic coated) & cats, Supersprint resonated X-pipe & "Street" muffler, Schrick 280/272 cams & DLC rockers, SAP delete, ECU tune, OE CSL cabin air filter housing, Rogue Octane SSK & transmission mounts, ZHP shifter knob, hollowed CDV (Zeckhausen), Mason/GSP clutch pedal, Volk Racing CE28N 18x8.5F/9.5R wheels with 245/275 tires
///Mods - appearance: OE CSL front bumper & trunklid & diffuser, piano black kidneys & gills, Depo smoked corners, OE short center console with Euro tray, AC Schnitzer aluminum pedals, 35% tint
Jump to top SilberFuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Feb-09-2011, 02:28:06 PM   #8
Evil///M

United States

Default Re: E46 performance on a budget (AKA bang for the buck)

Could always go the Euro header/mids route.

M3 15-95 Accel Vid.
Jump to top Evil///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Feb-11-2011, 02:57:47 AM   #9
m3fftl

In the garage:

United States

Headers are the best bang for the buck, some good tires will make a difference (I recommend the Dunlop star specs) although they won't work well once it gets below 40F
AST 4200 550f 650r | Vorshlag camber plates | Power Flex rtab & fcab | TMS RCAs | AFE stg2 cai | Super Sprint Race | Auto Solutions SSK | Macht Schnell Studs | V1 | OEM LEDs | VCSL CF Bootlid | 18x9.5 et 35 Apex ARC8 | ZIIs 265/35s
Jump to top m3fftl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Feb-18-2011, 06:48:45 PM   #10
ccsykes
The Green Machine

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone-man View Post
I'm a recent addict who'd like a little more from my new toy (2006 'vert SMG). Is there some kind of reference where I can find out which mods give the best return on investment and relative DIY-ability? Additionally, which mods would void an extended BMW warranty and what can you do and maintain it.
I've pretty much modded everything you can mod. My Vert will now be close to 1,000 HP.

There are not many mods you can do that won't potentially void your warranty if that is a concern. With that said, here are my reccomendations.

1. Drivers training. You will get more from this alone than anything else.

2. A good coil over kit, you can get better handling and better stance. I personally chose the tried and true Bilstien PSS10's.

3. Some BMW motorsports 4:10's would make the car feel more peppy. I would stay away from headers, it sounds to me like you wouldn't like the cons that come with owning them.

4. For engine performance, hands down a supercharger kit. Best bang for the buck you are going to find.

5. My favorite mod hands down for a vert?.. a BMW wind deflector.

Lastly.. engine mods such as intake, exhaust etc.. are really just a waste of money. You'll spend several thousand dollars and if your lucky get 10HP out of it. For just a little more money you can have 100+ HP with a Supercharger kit. If warranty is an issue, then use Dinan products as they are recognized at many BMW dealers.

However.. last but not least.. there are NO mods you can do that will have a ROI for you. BMW's are expensive cars to mod. Any mods you put into them will not provide you a return and may even lower the value of the car.

Last edited by ccsykes; Fri, Feb-18-2011 at 06:52:51 PM.
Jump to top ccsykes is offline   Reply With Quote